Pre-Kickstart Thread for Golden Age Champions

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 Darren Watts

Darren Watts

Used ta be sumbody

• 2,226 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:04 PM

That's right, True Believers, the Golden Age manuscript is in a state that sort of resembles a finished first draft pre-editing, which means it's time to start figuring out the details of the forthcoming Kickstarter! It's looking like the final product will be somewhere between 260 and 300 pages depending on final decisions about content (and if it's the short end of that, it's pretty likely that a couple of smaller pdf-only "supplements" might be in the offing for the deleted-from-print edition)- that's all too early to say yet. It'll include several dozen new characters from all sides of the war and the home front (in Hero, M&M and Savage Worlds writeups, format to be decided), weapon and vehicle lists for the 1940s, a Pulp Hero-style timeline for 1938 to 1949, extensive discussion of Golden Age character archetypes, and lots of my own pontificating on how to run an extended historical campaign based on my now-four multi-year home games I've been running over the last 20-something years.

So, for the purposes of polling the most serious of Hero-heads, what do you want to see in this campaign in terms of packages available, stretch goals, etc.? What cool bits from other campaigns have you liked and want to see repeated? Is there actually any interest in those "play somewhere with the designer" categories some Kickstarts use? Incidentally, do you have any questions or requests about content (keeping in mind the book is, as I say, mostly done and I'm not going to rewrite big chunks of it.)

This is your chance to sound off- don't miss it! dw

• Beast, Ndreare, Netzilla and 4 others like this
"Who know what evil lurk in hearts of men? Not me, maybe that guy over there!" - Win Eckert as Bizarro-Shadow

#2 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,734 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:27 PM

Wow, I have been waiting for this news for what feels like forever! :bounce:  I need to think more over the details of your request, because all that's in my head right now is, "Tell me when and where to send my money."  :hail:

• Beast likes this

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

- Maya Angelou

#3 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,503 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

Do you have a TOC yet? That'd be a fun thing to share. :D

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#4 PhantomGM2602

PhantomGM2602

Omnipotent Cosmic Hero

• 576 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:52 PM

Who's gonna write it or will it be a forum contribution to the project?

"I AM IMMORTAL! I HAVE INSIDE ME BLOOD OF KINGS![yeah yeah!]I HAVE NO RIVALS NO MAN CAN BE MY EQUAL! Queen "PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE" Spookfully yours, The Phantom GameMaster

#5 Epiphanis

Epiphanis

Standard Superhero

• 483 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:54 PM

You should, like, totes offer writeups of all the playtest PCs as a stretch goal supplement! Because characters like John Q. Citizen and the Amber W.A.V.E. are too awesome not to share.

-- an objectively neutral bystander who isn't Ralph Young even though he coincidentally appears to be logged into Ralph Young's Hero Forums account.

#6 Darren Watts

Darren Watts

Used ta be sumbody

• 2,226 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

Who's gonna write it or will it be a forum contribution to the project?

Oh, it's pretty much all me, minus whatever use I'm making of previous creators' work. It's already about 190,000 words, so I'm not looking for any contributions beyond "hey, did you ever explain X piece of abstruse continuity?" or "have you written up wunderwaffen Y?" If it got to be a big enough thing and there was demand, I suppose stretch goals might include contributions from other writers, but I'm not expecting that. I wanted it as close to done as possible before we even started the KS process- I don't want people to have to wait for ages for this. However, now we need to start figuring out paying for editing, layout, art and whatnot, so we need to see what the likely interest level is from various audiences. dw

"Who know what evil lurk in hearts of men? Not me, maybe that guy over there!" - Win Eckert as Bizarro-Shadow

#7 JohnTaber

JohnTaber

Millennial Master

• 1,277 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

Hey Darren!

My biggest fear was that you would not be writing big chunks of it...but it sounds like I won't have to worry.  This sucker is squarely in your wheelhouse.  ;)

Some thoughts that come to mind...in random list order cause that is how I think...in random lists.  My opinions only...

+ PDF and softcover/PDF options are a must.

+ I personally could care less about custom hardcovers or limited editions and such but I do like signed copies.

+ I think it would be cool to have GM screen inserts in landscape and portrait modes as stretch goals.

+ More artwork as a stretch goal might be fun.

+ Would love to see artwork from Chris Cloutier but I have no idea if he is even alive anymore.  :)

+ Would love to see discussions about various power levels in the book.

+ Stretch goal for Hero Designer support?  Forget what they are called but a sheet plus the background rules mod files.  I could probably do them but pay and have someone do them right.

+ Icon and M&M support?  That would certain expand the audience quite a bit.  Anything to have more chance of getting this sucker into my grubby mitts...

+ Jess Nevins...he somehow needs to do something for it.  Higher tier and you get his book too?  Thinkin' out loud...

+ Cool Golden Age Of Champions WWII style recruiting poster for my gaming cottage.  <- Ok that last one is a pipe dream.  ;)

There ya go...

John T>

• Tasha likes this
GAME ON!
John T>

Visit my blog called Kingbeast's Lair where I review RPG and anime products.

#8 Darren Watts

Darren Watts

Used ta be sumbody

• 2,226 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:34 PM

Do you have a TOC yet? That'd be a fun thing to share. :D

OK, keep in mind this is pre- my first contact with an editor, so there's no complaining if this doesn't remotely resemble the final order of things. But the chapter list as I have the current mansucript goes:

Chapter 0 Frontispiece, credits and introduction

Chapter 1 The Golden Age of Comic Books

Chapter 2 Golden Age Champions - this covers things like archetypes, rules, setting differences, skills modifications and whatnot

Chapter 3 The World of the Golden Age

Chapter 4 Gear of the Golden Age

Chapter 5 Campaigning The Golden Age

Chapter 6a The Champions Universe - this section includes info on existing CU characters/organizations/locations, and what they're up to in the 1940s

Chapter 6b Golden Age Heroes - this is the new characters

Chapter 6c Golden Age Villains - further subdivided into Axis and Homefront villainy

Chapter 7 Enter The Aesir: A GA Mini Campaign

Chapter 8 Bibliography, Filmography, Ludography and Index

• Pattern Ghost, Lawnmower Boy and culhwch like this

#9 Darren Watts

Darren Watts

Used ta be sumbody

• 2,226 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:38 PM

+ PDF and softcover/PDF options are a must.

+ I personally could care less about custom hardcovers or limited editions and such but I do like signed copies.

+ I think it would be cool to have GM screen inserts in landscape and portrait modes as stretch goals.

+ More artwork as a stretch goal might be fun.

+ Would love to see artwork from Chris Cloutier but I have no idea if he is even alive anymore.  :)

+ Would love to see discussions about various power levels in the book.

+ Stretch goal for Hero Designer support?  Forget what they are called but a sheet plus the background rules mod files.  I could probably do them but pay and have someone do them right.

+ Icon and M&M support?  That would certain expand the audience quite a bit.  Anything to have more chance of getting this sucker into my grubby mitts...

+ Jess Nevins...he somehow needs to do something for it.  Higher tier and you get his book too?  Thinkin' out loud...

+ Cool Golden Age Of Champions WWII style recruiting poster for my gaming cottage.  <- Ok that last one is a pipe dream.  ;)

Hey John! Noted, thanks. I think M&M and Savage Worlds are currently planned, dunno about Icons. I'm sure recruiting some HD mavens is on the list. I've never met Chris Cloutier and have no idea how to contact him- if anybody does know, buzz me! And there has been more than one discussion with Jess already, and no doubt will be more... dw

• Tasha likes this

#10 Beast

Beast

Knotworking for a better tomorrow

• 2,538 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:29 PM

Lots of equipment like the firebird press edition

while the Hero Games 4th ed had a larger page count , it lacked majorly in the variety vehicles
this could easily be a PDF only

Shadowcat has posted lots of vehicles on these boards

• JohnTaber likes this

Beast

Yeoman Robert"Beast" Mitchell Yeoman of the Guard RPFS

Vice Admiral Sir John Perrot Royal Order of the Tudor Rose NCRF

Knotworking for a better tomorrow)

Brutal Harmony (have no idea where that tenor came from I sing bass)

Known superpower :Bodice Lacing

currently playing

Ghost Cat
Precision
Wraith

#11 JohnTaber

JohnTaber

Millennial Master

• 1,277 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:01 PM

Lots of equipment like the firebird press edition

while the Hero Games 4th ed had a larger page count , it lacked majorly in the variety vehicles
this could easily be a PDF only

Shadowcat has posted lots of vehicles on these boards

I second the want of weapons and vehicles.  It would be great to be able to use this as a resource for WWII Heroic level games as well.  ;)

• Tasha likes this
GAME ON!
John T>

Visit my blog called Kingbeast's Lair where I review RPG and anime products.

#12 lemming

lemming

Professional Cat Herder

• 32,584 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

Stretch goals, pdfs of the old versions like Strikeforce has done would be cool.

I'm not as much into hardcovers either.

#13 Darren Watts

Darren Watts

Used ta be sumbody

• 2,226 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

I second the want of weapons and vehicles.  It would be great to be able to use this as a resource for WWII Heroic level games as well.  ;)

In regards to this, are you guys likely to be satisfied with well-populated weapons tables, that don't have associated text? In the modern age of Wikipedia, I've largely reserved the textual info to weapons with interesting stories like the Hochdruckpumpe, but there's stats for lots of different guns, tanks, planes, etc. dw

• lemming, Beast, Tasha and 1 other like this

#14 Darren Watts

Darren Watts

Used ta be sumbody

• 2,226 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:22 PM

Stretch goals, pdfs of the old versions like Strikeforce has done would be cool.

I'm not as much into hardcovers either.

This is alas probably unlikely. My GA does not incorporate any part of the older ones, so somebody'd have to scan them in to make PDFs. It won't be a standard level, but I suppose if there's demand Jason could have it done for a stretch goal...

#15 Beast

Beast

Knotworking for a better tomorrow

• 2,538 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

I liked what Firebird did w/ listing the chassis and a reference numbers for what weapons were used by that machine as there would be lots of repeats
notes could be used to position(main weapon,coax,mounted mg and if the main weapon is turreted or hull mounted/max passengers protected and unprotected
as for covers ,soft or hard is fine

In regards to this, are you guys likely to be satisfied with well-populated weapons tables, that don't have associated text? In the modern age of Wikipedia, I've largely reserved the textual info to weapons with interesting stories like the Hochdruckpumpe, but there's stats for lots of different guns, tanks, planes, etc. dw

Beast

Yeoman Robert"Beast" Mitchell Yeoman of the Guard RPFS

Vice Admiral Sir John Perrot Royal Order of the Tudor Rose NCRF

Knotworking for a better tomorrow)

Brutal Harmony (have no idea where that tenor came from I sing bass)

Known superpower :Bodice Lacing

currently playing

Ghost Cat
Precision
Wraith

#16 GoldenAge

GoldenAge

EPIC HERO!

• 2,959 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:17 PM

Told ya I'd show up!  :rockon:

Heroes have an infinite capacity for stupidity... THUS ARE LEGENDS BORN

Check out my art! http://ghentart.deviantart.com/

#17 GoldenAge

GoldenAge

EPIC HERO!

• 2,959 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Darren, if you need any art or layouts, I'd be glad to help! Check here for examples of my work:
Fun Stuff: http://ghentart.deviantart.com

Work: http://eghent.myportfolio.com

Heroes have an infinite capacity for stupidity... THUS ARE LEGENDS BORN

Check out my art! http://ghentart.deviantart.com/

#18 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,734 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

OK, keep in mind this is pre- my first contact with an editor, so there's no complaining if this doesn't remotely resemble the final order of things. But the chapter list as I have the current mansucript goes:

Chapter 0 Frontispiece, credits and introduction

Chapter 1 The Golden Age of Comic Books

Chapter 2 Golden Age Champions - this covers things like archetypes, rules, setting differences, skills modifications and whatnot

Chapter 3 The World of the Golden Age

Chapter 4 Gear of the Golden Age

Chapter 5 Campaigning The Golden Age

Chapter 6a The Champions Universe - this section includes info on existing CU characters/organizations/locations, and what they're up to in the 1940s

Chapter 6b Golden Age Heroes - this is the new characters

Chapter 6c Golden Age Villains - further subdivided into Axis and Homefront villainy

Chapter 7 Enter The Aesir: A GA Mini Campaign

Chapter 8 Bibliography, Filmography, Ludography and Index

6a/b/c is of particular interest to me. :thumbup:

Question: What countries will these characters be drawn from? Many WW II gaming source books almost completely overlook fighters from certain regions involved in the "world war," such as North Africa, Scandinavia, China, and Australia.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

- Maya Angelou

#19 Darren Watts

Darren Watts

Used ta be sumbody

• 2,226 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

6a/b/c is of particular interest to me. :thumbup:

Question: What countries will these characters be drawn from? Many WW II gaming source books almost completely overlook fighters from certain regions involved in the "world war," such as North Africa, Scandinavia, China, and Australia.

Dunno yet about any specific characters, as they're chosen mostly to be of maximum use for players, but I certainly discuss the war as it took place in each of those locations. We'll see. dw

#20 Steve

Steve

Hero Games Otaku

• 5,855 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

This is exciting news indeed! So when will the Kickstarter be going live?
"We can rebuild him... we have the character points..." - Dust Raven

"He's a few neutrons short of a stable isotope." - Forum comment on zerohedge.com