Darren Watts

Pre-Kickstart Thread for Golden Age Champions

I have an idea which may broaden the appeal of this book but by thinking outside of the box.  One appeal the Christopher Taylor made on another thread was that Golden Age Heroes, since being new, are relatively easier and simpler to build. I think a lot of new GM's would benefit from this style of game and so would perhaps younger players. So perhaps maybe a page or two on how to use this book for a later time period say Modern?

I don't want people to have to wait for ages for this.

[ahem] Too late. :snicker: Now take my money already!

I'm not a big stretch goals guy, beyond an HD pack option. But assuming you have good character art, it always seemed to me that making that art available as a sheet of paper minis would be cool and fairly easy to make? (I've always wondered why they haven't done that for, say, Champions Villains.)

yeah too late
I can't remember how many yrs ago ,I heard about you doing a new version of GAoC
Mid to late 5th ed iirc
take my money damit

I wrote:

For Australia at least, I'd probably settle for pulp adventurer types in uniform. Pilots, commandos, the usual.

Need someone to pick you up from behind enemy lines? Air cover? Experienced anti-ninja fighters? These are your boys. (Unfortunately we can't expect the obvious connection to Seeker to be explored. :( )

They're reusable too - Australians fought all over the world at one point or another.

Of course these guys don't have to be tied to a particular nationality. They are a generally useful category of NPCs. A kind of elite version of general military personnel. They would be mostly useful in war front settings, but could be used at home.

Basically, these are the stars of war comics. They could shade into the lower end of superheroic levels - Sgt Rock, Nick Fury, the Blackhawks, Airboy.... Their opponents could be near supervillain level too. Or not so near.

With regards to characters, there should be some kid heroes thrown into the mix--and not just as sidekicks, but as independent heroes.  Considering how much younger comic book readers were back then, this was basically an appeal to the target demographic.

Here are a few examples, from the Public Domain Superheroes Wikia--

Balbo The Boy Magician

Crash Kid

Crimebuster

Dynamic Boy

Boy Rangers

Tomboy

Wonder Boy

Boy Heroes

Don't be fooled by the name Tomboy--she's actually a girl.  And even though she was created in the Fifties, she could easily be imagined as a Golden Age heroine.  And a wartime PC who finds himself trapped behind enemy lines could quite likely find help from a gang of fighting children like the Boy Heroes.

And the tradition lives on even today--in the person of the Man who "does whatever a Spider can."  He was in high school when his career began, as I recall.

Hope that helps.

Not to mention Sexism. How to handle it well and when to just ignore it and have fun, to heck with history.

The problem is that this is a roleplaying realism issue and largely group-based. Right now, I run a golden age game where all those racism and sexism problems rear their ugly head every week, and most of the c haracters in the group are minorities of one sort or another. It's a really challenging game. Also, technology issues tend to rear their ugly heads a lot. "What's a running board?" "Who is this "operator?"" person?" "What do you mean there's no such thing as a push-button phone?"

How to handle it well and when to just ignore it and have fun, to heck with history.

If you read the comics from the time, it doesn't really come up except rarely in some publications.  Most of the time, its just good guys vs bad guys and the girls are there along with the boys.  I think its useful to have that as part of the book, but only as a brief section, because this is supposed to be about fun, not some social statement. I mean, if someone wants to run a game like that, its useful to have the info briefly presented, but encouraging people to ignore those cultural trends and just play the game should probably be the emphasis.

Don't be fooled by the name Tomboy--she's actually a girl.

Tomboy is typically used for very rough and tumble girls :)

If you read the comics from the time, it doesn't really come up except rarely in some publications.  Most of the time, its just good guys vs bad guys and the girls are there along with the boys.  I think its useful to have that as part of the book, but only as a brief section, because this is supposed to be about fun, not some social statement. I mean, if someone wants to run a game like that, its useful to have the info briefly presented, but encouraging people to ignore those cultural trends and just play the game should probably be the emphasis.

Yeah, this team is Sargeant Iron, a Southern man of metal who can rust things, Doc Thunder, a Black sonic projector, WOW (Woman of Weapons), a German-American gunslinger, we've got a Minnesota super-athlete, a Japanese Martial Artist, and a Native American shaman.  It's actually bucket-tons of fun, although they did screw up one thing that led to them fighting a werejaguar with a machine gun. :)

An HD pack would be greatly appreciated.

So this will not be a Champions Universe product like Galactic Champions was, or have I misunderstood?

I think including a Golden Age version of the Superhero Gallery would be a great addition to helping build characters. Build options could be tailored to fit more into that era.

hmmm...how do we define the "Golden Age"? It's linked to WWII in our minds because the Golden Age of Comics coincided with those years in history, but does a GA campaign have to be set in the 1940's, or is "Golden Age" defined by other aspects, like tone, power levels, etc.? In other words, how do we set a Golden Age game in 2016, or 1975, or the far future?

I think this is very important.  The era was indeed sexist and racist but while that is something that might be raised once in a while it was not as in-your-face in the comics as it would be today when the background levels of those -isms is not as tolerated or accepted.

I think it will be very important to have a section on how to handle it from a gamer point of view - it should be interesting to note that was how it was like but it should not be acceptable for players to revel in those aspects or to think that it is acceptable - the heroes of the time, if they did exhibit those traits did not do so maliciously or deliberately and, if pointed out to them, should take a heroic perspective and stand up to them. (I liked the treatment given in Roy Thomas' All Star Squadron comics).

It will be fine for the players to have some fun with stuff though.  My Zatarra rip-off character was always looking to protect my friends female Japanese martial artist and stop her putting herself in danger (even though she could hand him his ass in a sling)...

I mean... medieval times were sexist and racist by modern standards, but that's not something anyone feels compelled to write about or inject into their games or quasi-medieval fantasy settings.  We're playing a game.  For fun, not an X Studies roleplaying teaching exercise.  Were there girl gunfighters in the old west?  Yeah, a few rare ones, but who cares, you can have six in your Western Hero game.  Entertainment is the point here.

In any genre, there are things we choose to include or emphasize, and there are things we choose to downplay or ignore. Mostly based on what makes for a fun game. So when people insist they "have to" include racism, sexism, etc because otherwise it wouldn't be "historically accurate," the question is why they don't feel similarly compelled to include, say, malaria & diarrhea killing more people than Nazi bullets? Or the "historically accurate" role of artillery obliterating you from miles away? And that's just for WWII - don't get me started on medieval/fantasy games. Bottom line is we all set aside historical reality when it makes for a less fun game, and this is no different.

BTW, Pulp Hero has a page or two on addressing sexism & racism in the genre.

hmmm...how do we define the "Golden Age"? It's linked to WWII in our minds because the Golden Age of Comics coincided with those years in history, but does a GA campaign have to be set in the 1940's, or is "Golden Age" defined by other aspects, like tone, power levels, etc.? In other words, how do we set a Golden Age game in 2016, or 1975, or the far future?

To paraphrase David Gerrold (I think), "The Golden Age of comic books is twelve."

The Pulps didn't address racism and sexism consistently either. The Justice Inc. books featured a married African American couple, both well educated Tuskeegee graduates, and a female versed in martial arts. They used the stereotypes to their advantage, for example posing as domestic servants to gather information, or being underestimated by her opponents due to her gender. The conventions can be turned sideways in that manner.

Just an offer: If you want/ need someone to take a look at the naming and spelling of German villains, organisations or other characters feel free to contact me.

Admittedly, German isn't easy and I know it almost seems as a convention to butcher the German language when presenting German viillains and their quotes but I am fed up with lousy quotes that go like "Schnell! Schnell Schweinhunt! Doner and Blitzen!"  and villains called "Das Todtenkopf" (find the intentional spelling and grammar-mistakes if you like).