Magical trinkets, charms, baubles and other low powered things

eepjr24

I am looking to create a set of lower powered magical items for use in FH generally. These don't have to be fully built powers, although if you want to do that it's obviously fine as well. The purpose is to have a list of minor items that can be used as treasure or made available for purchase (where appropriate). I will start with a couple and add more as I come up with them. I am primarily looking for items that will not greatly affect the gaming world, are low in active (15 and under) and real points (5 and under). Expendable or not expendable are both fine. Please don't assume any particular type of magic must be present (nothing that relies strictly on Vancian or RM magic systems for instance). 

"Fly Fast" - This carved ulexite stone charm imbues the wearers arrows with extra damage at the cost of making them very likely to break.

+1 pip Ranged Killing Attack vs PD, OIF: Arrow of Opportunity (-1/2), IIF: Charm (-1/4), SE: 3d6 Enery Blast vs Arrow (-1/4)

"Sharpening Oil" - This small vial of oil improves the cutting efficiency of any normal bladed weapon. To activate it, the oil must be rubbed onto the blade for at least 10 seconds. When the oil is activated, the GM rolls 1d6, on a 1-3 the power lasts 2d6 minutes less than an hour. On a 4-6 the oil lasts 2d6 minutes more than an hour.

+1 pip Hand to Hand Killing Attack vs PD, Time Limit: 1 hour (+1 1/2), OAF: Bladed Weapon (-1), Restrainable: Vial (-1/4), Extra Time: One Turn, only to activate (-3/4), Gestures: Two hands (-1/2), Concentration: 1/2 DCV (-1/4), 1 Charge (-2)

Thoughts and ideas welcome!

- E

EDIT: corrected the Sharpening Oil write up, realized it was illegal to buy continuing charge on instant powers.

Edited by eepjr24

How about

Soothing foot balm

+2" running 4pt, 0 end +1/2, 1 continuing charge lasting 8hr +1/2, extra time to activate 5min -2, gestures must be rubbed into your feet -1/4, independent small tub of pepper mint smelling lotion -2. (8 active) 2 real

I thin stuff like this is great, especially if you can add some colour to the setting through them.  All kinds of little benefits and stuff.

Like the Wanderer's Knapsack that contains one meal per day, the Amulet of Second Wind that provides a REC boost (the powerful one provides +1 SPD, only to recover in addition to a small REC boost), the Gloves of Scaling (1" Flight, only while touching surface) that allow thieves to scale any surface without fear of falling and the ever reliable Combat Saddle (10 STR clinging - only to stay in saddle) that allows warriors to fight from horseback without fear of falling off.

:-)

Doc

Recently my players received a flask from a fae they encountered which 'heals' END.  It has a bunch of 'swallows (charges)' left.  We do track END for all the spell casters and so being able to take a swallow from the flask could be a big help in a long battle.

this would be even more fantastic if it worked on long term endurance...

Messrs Swan and Vesta's box of all weather instant flame.

1 point of rka (fire) 5pt, 8 charges continuous for 1 turn -0, OAF small box containing 8 small sticks with a red end -1, gesture red end of stick must be rubbed against the box -1/4, no range fire forms on end of stick -1/2, active 5pt real 2pt

Oops I forgot to add independent -2, which drops it to 1 real point.

Just FYI, I will be using 6e to build these, Independent no longer exists. Not discouraging you from using it here, just no need to fix it if you forget. =)

And probably for that version you want to make the charges expendable.

I already built something similar for this, slightly different SFX:

"Sure Spark" - 1d6 Blast versus ED - IIF: Quartz (-1/4), 7 Charges (-1/2), No Range (-1/2); 5 AP, 2 RP
Up to 7 times per day this approximately 2 cm long quartz crystal with a faintly glowing sigil inside it will produce a hot spark capable of lighting paper, tender and other flamable materials. To use it, simply point the crystal at a target 1m or less away and speak the magic word "Piezo".

- E

Ring of Al'Jassik:  Healing 1 BODY,  Can Heal Limbs (8 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Minute (-1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2), IIF (; -1/4)

*lovely for parties where the cleric does scrying and not healing

Breaker Toolset:  Dispel Mechanisms & Objects 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points), (0 END; +1/2), Cumulative (24 points; +1) (7 Active Points); OIF (; -1/2), No Range (-1/2)

*Lovely for rogues who would prefer to tear the door off its' hinges if they can't do it "the other way" first

Ring of Al'Jassik:  Healing 1 BODY,  Can Heal Limbs (8 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Minute (-1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2), IIF (; -1/4)

*lovely for parties where the cleric does scrying and not healing

Breaker Toolset:  Dispel Mechanisms & Objects 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points), (0 END; +1/2), Cumulative (24 points; +1) (7 Active Points); OIF (; -1/2), No Range (-1/2)

*Lovely for rogues who would prefer to tear the door off its' hinges if they can't do it "the other way" first

Thanks for the ideas! I am going to skip the healing, because it is just not low powered enough. I generally go with things with charges for healing effects on the lower power side and much longer reuse times.

I like the tool set idea but will probably retool it to be more destructive, since those types of items in my games tend to destroy locks, not turn them off.

- E

Thanks for the ideas! I am going to skip the healing, because it is just not low powered enough. I generally go with things with charges for healing effects on the lower power side and much longer reuse times.

I like the tool set idea but will probably retool it to be more destructive, since those types of items in my games tend to destroy locks, not turn them off.

- E

With 3 attacks per round and assuming 2 hit with average damage, it will take 48 seconds to overcome a 12DEF door, lock or mechanism. Of course another phase or two made possible through another tick of Cumulative could make it tougher, but we're just a poor Heroic campaign :)

A few more

Vial of Troll Hide:  +10 PD (10 Active Points); 3 Charges which Never Recover (-3 1/4)

(Use is obvious, and the PD doesn't stack although I haven't put this as a Limitation)

Gecko Fetish:  Flight 2" (4 Active Points); 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each which Recover every 1 Week (-1), OIF (; -1/2), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4)

(Use is to be a wall crawler)

Any Weather Clothing:  Life Support  (Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) (4 Active Points); OIF Durable (; -1/2)

(Use is to have amazingly durable clothing that lets you remain comfortable in Panama summers and Siberian winters)

• 2 weeks later...