Magical trinkets, charms, baubles and other low powered things

eepjr24

I am looking to create a set of lower powered magical items for use in FH generally. These don't have to be fully built powers, although if you want to do that it's obviously fine as well. The purpose is to have a list of minor items that can be used as treasure or made available for purchase (where appropriate). I will start with a couple and add more as I come up with them. I am primarily looking for items that will not greatly affect the gaming world, are low in active (15 and under) and real points (5 and under). Expendable or not expendable are both fine. Please don't assume any particular type of magic must be present (nothing that relies strictly on Vancian or RM magic systems for instance).

"Fly Fast" - This carved ulexite stone charm imbues the wearers arrows with extra damage at the cost of making them very likely to break.

+1 pip Ranged Killing Attack vs PD, OIF: Arrow of Opportunity (-1/2), IIF: Charm (-1/4), SE: 3d6 Enery Blast vs Arrow (-1/4)

"Sharpening Oil" - This small vial of oil improves the cutting efficiency of any normal bladed weapon. To activate it, the oil must be rubbed onto the blade for at least 10 seconds. When the oil is activated, the GM rolls 1d6, on a 1-3 the power lasts 2d6 minutes less than an hour. On a 4-6 the oil lasts 2d6 minutes more than an hour.

+1 pip Hand to Hand Killing Attack vs PD, Time Limit: 1 hour (+1 1/2), OAF: Bladed Weapon (-1), Restrainable: Vial (-1/4), Extra Time: One Turn, only to activate (-3/4), Gestures: Two hands (-1/2), Concentration: 1/2 DCV (-1/4), 1 Charge (-2)

Thoughts and ideas welcome!

- E

EDIT: corrected the Sharpening Oil write up, realized it was illegal to buy continuing charge on instant powers.

I would think burnout roll on the arrow would work build better. I think it would be easier and still give the effect you want.

I would think burnout roll on the arrow would work build better. I think it would be easier and still give the effect you want.

Except that would limit the number of arrows shot in a day, which this does not do. It simply makes you use them up quickly. Plus, it would add a required skill roll instead of the side effect roll, I don't see how that is "easier".

- E

In one campaign I had the PCs' attorney ... for a while the campaign was based in a corrupt city ruled by a plutocratic oligarchy, so advocates abd barristers and whatnot were common and necessary ... whose working papers were always protected with an obfuscation spell (Transform documents to other documents), sometimes applied in multiple layers. The Transform had at least one level of Hardened or Difficult to Dispel. Made the players' tendencies towards trying to steal important papers much less tenable; that group had way too much in the way of stealth ninja gods and little strategic acumen above the idea of sneaking in, killing guards, and stealing what they were after.

Magicraft Backpack

You can fill this magical backpack with as much mass as you could normally carry. Yet it's wearer can still march with minimal effort.

+5 Strength, Zero END (+1/2) (7 APs); Only To Reduce Encumbrance Penalties For Items Stowed Within It (-1/2), OIF (-1/2).  Cost: 3 points.

Hag's Blood Amulet

This amulet consists of a vial of hag's blood suspended from a cord woven from their tangled hair. Such fetishes are believed to reduce the effectiveness of all manner of spells used against the wearer, however they are also known to attract the ire of Hags, against whom it provides no protection.

25% Resistant Damage Reduction Against Magic (15 APs); OIF Fragile (-3/4), Always On (-1/2), Does Not Protect Against The Magic Of Hags (-1/2), Side Effects (Hunted By Hags (Very Frequently, Easy to Find; More Powerful); -1). Cost: 4 points.

Minor Belt Pouch of Holding

This purple silk belt pouch is highly sought after by adventurers and tax collectors alike, for it can hold over 960 silver coins, yet it never weighs more than an apple. It's drawstring is especially long, and the mouth of this pouch stretches to comical proportions. One famous story tells of an adventurer stuffing an entire tavern bench into their pouch. Any object placed within the pouch appears as an embroidered patch upon it's surface, taking up space on the pouch's surface equivalent to the amount of the pouch's capacity is occupies. As a side note, amongst the dwarves this pouch is known as the Hammer Space Pouch... but no one knows why. 

Telekinesis (2 STR), Zero END (+1/2), Persistant (+1/4) (5 APs); No Range (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), IIF Durable (-1/4). Cost: 2 points.

Snake Oil

"It heals your wounds! It regrows your hair! It cures leprosy! There is nothing my magical ointment and elixir can't cure! It's not to be confused with the substances sold by those other snake oil salesmen... Just be sure you drink the whole bottle!" In reality this minor alchemical product only relieves the most obvious symptoms of any given malady. Unfortunately the drinker believes themselves to have been cured, which may lead to some very poor choices on their part.

Cosmetic Transform (Person Into Person Who Believes Their Affliction Has Been Cured) 3d6, Partial Transform (+1/2) (13 APs); No Range (-1/2), OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Limited Target (Sentient Beings; -1/4), Rapid Healing (REC per Day; -1/2), 15 Charges Which Never Recover (-2). Cost: 2 points.

• 1 month later...

Skeleton Key

This magical key will reshape itself to unlock almost any door in the multiverse, however it can only be used a few times each day. These trinkets are sometimes called portable thieves, but most actual thieves are offended by the comparison, and the rest own skeleton keys themselves.

Lockpicking +6 (15 APs); OAF (-1), 4 Charges (-1). Cost: 5 points.

Boots of Elvenkind

Cobbled by elves, these flamboyant green boots appear to have been made from so many spring leaves. They are said to make the wearer as swift as the wind, but few adventurers can speak from experience, as they are an atrocious lime green which clashes horribly with everything aside from the fabled Cloak of Elvenkind. For their part, the elves can't see why their fine products aren't more popular.

Running (or Leaping) +4m, Zero END (+1/2), Usable as Leaping (+1/4) (7 APs); OIF (-1/2). Cost: 5 points.

Cloak of Elvenkind

Sewn by elves, this flamboyant green cloak appears to have been made from so many spring leaves. It is said to somehow make even the most dour dwarf as stealthy as an elf, but few adventurers can speak from experience, as it is an atrocious lime green, and clashes horribly with everything aside from the fabled Boots of Elvenkind. For their part, the elves can't see why their fine products aren't more popular.

Stealth +2 (7 APs); OIF (-1/2). Cost: 5 points.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to create a set of lower powered magical items for use in FH generally. These don't have to be fully built powers, although if you want to do that it's obviously fine as well. The purpose is to have a list of minor items that can be used as treasure or made available for purchase (where appropriate). I will start with a couple and add more as I come up with them. I am primarily looking for items that will not greatly affect the gaming world, are low in active (15 and under) and real points (5 and under). Expendable or not expendable are both fine. Please don't assume any particular type of magic must be present (nothing that relies strictly on Vancian or RM magic systems for instance). 

RM?

Apprentice level Ring of Spell Storing

This item is for settings were casting spells take longer than a phase.

Naked Advantage-Delayed Effect for up to 15 AP: Active Cost 18.75

Limitations- Obvious (ring glows on spell release) , Inaccessible Difficult to replace -1

Increased END -1/2 extra time -1/2 (if spell already has this move down the charts) -1

total limitations -2:  Real Cost 6 Points  

This ring allows an apprentice to precast up to 15 active points of spell and store in the ring ( Limit INT/5 or whatever GM decides).

All normal spell limitations are fulfilled during precasting. The ring requires the spellcaster to take extra time and energy above what is normally needed to cast each spell.

Releasing a spell is a 1/2 phase action and ring wearer is full DCV. END is pay during precasting not the release.           

addendum: One could treat the 18.75 Active points as int and give the ring four spell slots independent of what the mage can prepare in advance.

• 1 month later...

Except that would limit the number of arrows shot in a day, which this does not do. It simply makes you use them up quickly. Plus, it would add a required skill roll instead of the side effect roll, I don't see how that is "easier".

- E

Well my thinking is to apply burnout to each arrow that the spell is on. And Burnout is one roll to see if you can use the arrow again but SE you have to roll then apply damage the compare to see if arrow is still usuable. Thats more steps than a simple roll. But thats how I see it. : )

• 11 months later...

Apotropaic Amulet: (Total: 15 Active Cost, 4 Real Cost)

Change Environment (+1 Points of Damage, -1 to any Magic Power Skill Roll), Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4) (10 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 2)

PLUS Positive Reputation: Beware! Your spells could spell your doom! (A small to medium sized group: magical characters) 14-, +5/+5d6 (5 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 2)

One of a number of such amulets cast by the Dragon Emperors, all such are formed to resemble an unblinking draconic eye surrounded with powerful glyphs. Originally they could drain a large part of any spellcaster's mana and would inflict a painful shock to anyone attempting to use magic within about 30 meters of the wearer, without the wearer's permission. Now this one's enchantment has faded until it only effects a radius of 4 meters and it can only impose a -1 to a spellcaster's Skill roll, and does a single point of STUN damage, and that unreliably – the wearer has no control and much of the time the power may not manifest at all. The legends have not faded however, and anyone who knows enough about magic to be casting spells probably recognizes the Amulet and will be suitably intimidated (wearer has +5d6 to PRE attacks and +5 to Skill Rolls that involve confronting a magic user.)

Lucius Alexander

Insert palindromedary tagline here