Favorite Defensive Power [That Isn't Defensive]

g3taso

Damage Reduction, Bah!  Armor, Humbug!  I'm on the prowl for brain cells other than mine to have spiffy ideas. I'm looking for defenses that are more than just mechanical advantage.

Like to walk up a wall and stand on the ceiling while firing your weapons, knowing you are safe from melee? Do your fork-flinging powers allow you to create an improvised set of handholds on a wall, allowing you to climb out of harm's reach? Do your farts achieve such high speeds that the sonic crack causes enemies' clothes to scorch and make them blow their Phase putting it out? 

Let's have 'em. Hero Designer write-ups are especially nice, since not everyone can actually quote several editions of HERO :) Please cap at 40pts Active or thereabouts (or lower) to weed out the truly high-power ones. Novelty is awesome, efficiency equally so!

Visage of Divine Beauty:

Striking Appearance (Beauty, vs all characters) +10 to interaction skills and +10d6 to presence attacks (Unified Power -1/4)

Cost: 30 active, 24 real

Flash (Sight) 4d6, Trigger (when you make a presence attack, trigger takes no time and resets automatically +1) (Unified Power -1/4)

Cost: 40 active, 32 real

Not only can you cow most enemies easily, but the very sight of your beauty is enough to make them go blind!

Just a little bit of telekinesis, ten strength, fifteen, whatever, is enough to take most non-flyers out of commission entirely. A big bad bruiser that can pulverize you can be shut down just by picking them up off the ground and holding them in place. 

And then there's flash. Man, whoever said that the best defense is a good offense, was talking about flash. Pop someone with this and they're helpless and harmless and no danger to you. 

But my favorite is Duplication. Man I love that power, it's good for everything. And with Ranged Recombination, it's an awesome defensive power. If you're in trouble, you run away and you guard your own exit at the same time.

Visage of Divine Beauty:

Striking Appearance (Beauty, vs all characters) +10 to interaction skills and +10d6 to presence attacks (Unified Power -1/4)

Cost: 30 active, 24 real

Flash (Sight) 4d6, Trigger (when you make a presence attack, trigger takes no time and resets automatically +1) (Unified Power -1/4)

Cost: 40 active, 32 real

Not only can you cow most enemies easily, but the very sight of your beauty is enough to make them go blind!

Umm... That's 70 AP.

Just a little bit of telekinesis, ten strength, fifteen, whatever, is enough to take most non-flyers out of commission entirely. A big bad bruiser that can pulverize you can be shut down just by picking them up off the ground and holding them in place.

Except that's not how that works. A "big bad bruiser" breaks out of a 10 STR Telekinesis Grab just as easily as he breaks out of a standard 10 STR Grab and being in the air doesn't effect that in any way (unless he is worried about falling, but how high could he get lifted in 1 phase?)

I see that working with Psychokinesis that works against EGO, but not just a regular Telekinesis (per what Bigbywolfe said above). Then, 20 would be plenty. Add the Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4 in most games, but possibly +0) and you have a nice grab. If you have the +0 on the above, put a 4 meter Radius AoE instead to maximize effectiveness.

Ego is traditionally much lower than Str on an average character.  I'd make "works against Ego, not Str" a much higher advantage, since the purpose is pretty much specifically to take out high-Str people with a cheap attack.  Nobody is adding "works against Ego" on their TK in a game where everyone is playing variants of Charles Xavier.

LOS attacks and distance. Maybe add telescopic senses.

"Oh, you bought AOE 1 hex so you can ignore my DCV? Ok, now the hex I'm in is effectively DCV 19 cause I'm 1049m away from you,"

40 points of telescopic is enough to be able to spot man size targets at comfortably interplanetary scale (terameter). Of course, depending on the relative speeds of light and a mental attack, you may have to lead your target a little more when sniping from your base on Titan. Don't forget to adjust for your target's movement after adjusting for the Earth's rotation and revolution!

Edit: 1 billion km not 1 billion m. 1 billion km is a terameter

Edited by Primus

Clairsentience (Sight Group), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 12" per Phase) (30 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2)

I love knowing where the opposition is, even when they don't know I am coming. A cat-burglar paradise.