Looking to start a space/science fiction campaign

bluesguy

I thought I would post an update - it has been six months since I started this thread.  I found in the Wayback Archive a B5 Hero setting with a bunch of useful information.

At this point I have collected about 50% of the data about systems and their planets.  I have also found a way to 'host' the data on a website so it is dynamic and can be updated by myself or the players as needed.  This last point was important for me because I want the players to bring their phones/tablets to the game so they can look up the information a website (i.e. more of a sci-fi feel).  For anyone who wants to know I am using Joomla and Fabrik. When the data is all loaded up then I will have the background setup.

Then it will be time to set up the initial campaign.  This is where I will solicit input from my players.  Things like - do you want your characters to have a common background?  Do you some of you know each other an others don't?  What kind of characters would you like to play?

One thing that will be happening is an epic story line.  But I will 'riff off of what' the players feed me.  That way the stories all hold together in some way.

• 5 weeks later...

An update is in order.

Well here is what is setup so far on the website for my Dawn of the Third Age of Man campaign.

• Star Systems are loaded
  • Planets associated with star systems loaded
  • Galactic map and quadrant maps are created and loaded.  The Galactic Map has links to the quadrant maps but I haven't added all the links from the quadrant maps to the specific star systems yet.
  • Major and Minor Governments

All the technical problems for setting up the site are solved.  Now it is a matter of adding content and then I will be ready to run.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is a kinda old thread, but I'm wondering how your game is going?

I finally got all my Traveller/HERO stuff, and a helping of other resources. I am going to try to run a game where the players are on the other side of the fence....

Instead of constantly trying to scrounge up enough money, they will be working for the bank/private repossession firm, and will the 'away team' sent to repossess starships that are overdue on their payments. Think 'Airplane Repossession", with starships. :) (If you haven't seen any episodes of Airplane Repo on the discovery channel, you should google it and watch a couple). 

Eventually, they should earn enough money and learn the ropes to start researching and finding the ships on their own, or freelancing a bit while on a mission and start expanding their skills.

Thank you for asking.  We have only had two sessions. 

Session one did not end the way I intended it to end and would have set the campaign down the wrong road.  After talking to the group we decided to do a slight reset and replay the end of the first session which helped get things back on the appropriate footing.  The intent of the campaign is the players are part of a team which fixes things that neither the Interstellar Alliance or Earth Alliance has the resources to deal with (IA & EA are dealing with galactic changing events and these folks are dealing with events that tend to be more localized).  They are being paid by a corporation which is owned by a man who has his own reasons for wanting these things done.

Their first mission was to find out if a 'shipping clerk' with a gambling problem was providing shipping information to a local gang which was selling the information to a raiding group (pirates).  Lots of stealth, observation, one B&E, some hacking of a data crystal, and voila they accomplished their mission.  Oh and one of the characters who was shadowing the mark, realized he was being shadowed.  I believe there were five shadowing rolls in a row between the PC and NPC (killer) before the PC managed to get away.

The setup was that each player was hired for a 3 month contract (good pay + nice places to live) on the same planet doing pretty mundane things.  The last day of their contracts they show up at their respective workplaces only to find those places don't exist anymore - empty buildings.  When they head home they find they are going to be evicted because the rent wasn't paid and whatever they were paid for the last three months is gone.

They then meet with their "benefactor" which goes downhill.

Stupid idea on my part. 

Reset:

So they let me do a reset.  Everything is the same but two weeks before the end of their contracts they are informed the contract won't be renewed.  They each get an invite to meet at a corporate headquarters for dinner and interview.  They meet with their 'patron' which goes much better.  He tells them why he needs them, how much he will pay and once they say yes he gives them their first mission briefing.