Greetings! New to this site....

Shadow7

Greetings all, 

I am new to this site.  After many years of not playing role playing games, (I played rpg games with my brother when I was a kid), I have recently gotten the "bug" to get interested in this hobby again.  I have played the Online game of Champions, but have always found the tabletop role-playing game so much more fun with its campaigns and interactions with other players.  I am really interested in learning and hearing more about the Dark Champions game.  One of my favorite movie series was the Chris Nolan's Batman series, and Arrow (at least the first several seasons) has always been one of the most enjoyable shows I have ever seen in terms of superhero tv shows.  One thing I have really found interesting was the level of creativity that players demonstrate in the creation of their characters.  I have really been impressed with how with modern technology, a group of players can play an rpg online with the assistance of Roll20 or Skype, etc.  Recently I have been getting a friend interested in developing a character, but since it's been so long for myself I am finding that I have to familiarize myself with all the rules as well once again.  My idea for her is to have a street vigilante named the Kiss of Death, who does not kill but is equipped with gadgets.  She has a calling card she leaves with her defeated foes a kiss with some form of death in the middle of it.  As is suggested by her name, part of her approach is to use her beauty as one of her weapons, and her costume will reflect that.  Working on a partner for her, I have a homeless guy who is a bit of a religious fanatic.  He believes that God is calling him to clean the streets.  Not sure what weapons or skills he has as of yet, but he will be called Street Angel.  Would love to hear any suggestions on either of these two characters, or more on your own experiences of Dark Champions.  Thanks for the time....

Shadow7

Welcome to the forums!

The first thing I would say is that you need to decide what type of game you are going to run. The tone and detail of the game world will go a long way in helping you and the players define the key differences between each of their PC's.

Dark Champions characters typically are not built with "Powers".   Instead, characters are built using Heroic rules (vs. SuperHeroic) and don't pay points directly for 'equipment' but instead pay for an 'equipment pool' Perk.  Characters like Batman and Green Arrow are actually 'tweeners' that fit better into the "Dark Champions: The Animated Series" sub-genre which allow for some minor powers that would include "Utility Belts" and "Trick Arrows".

That's my 2 cents at least.  I've created rookie versions of Batman and Green Arrow before but they were intended to be used as members of a Justice League that would include more of a straight up Champions level supers like Captain Marvel, Flash and Superman (which are my favorites) so hopefully other forum members more well versed in the Dark Champions genre will chime in as well.

:)

HM

I am really interested in learning and hearing more about the Dark Champions game.

Shadow7

One of the first things to understand - and forgive me if I'm telling you what you already know - is that to play "Dark Champions" you will have to have some version of the Hero System core rules.  The easiest way to get those is probably to get Champions Complete, or the PDF of the 6th edition Hero System (two volumes, vol1 Character Creation and vol2 Combat and Adventuring.)

Technically, you don't even need the Dark Champions book as such, but it does have a lot of potentially useful matter for running a modern day action/adventure campaign.

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

Welcome to the boards. You should consider several things when designing a game. One is how dark do you want the game? Thete is a version refered to as idealist where crimefighters have code vs killing and wont kill but still deal with "street level" thugs. Are there going to be real powers at all? Remember Clayface? He boarders on super powered but still seemed to work in Batman TAS. I disagree with Hyperman about heroic level. Dark Champions will explain the difference of Heroic vs Superheroic rules and when each fits better for your game. Frankly some of the stuff Batman pulls off will be easier by using Superheroic rules because they are more cinematic in nature.

Welcome to the boards. You should consider several things when designing a game. One is how dark do you want the game? Thete is a version refered to as idealist where crimefighters have code vs killing and wont kill but still deal with "street level" thugs. Are there going to be real powers at all? Remember Clayface? He boarders on super powered but still seemed to work in Batman TAS. I disagree with Hyperman about heroic level. Dark Champions will explain the difference of Heroic vs Superheroic rules and when each fits better for your game. Frankly some of the stuff Batman pulls off will be easier by using Superheroic rules because they are more cinematic in nature.