• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 IndianaJoe3

IndianaJoe3

Mad Hero System Genius

• 2,823 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

I see a few problems with it.

• It lacks a basic Strike maneuver. I can see how the art is supposed to work tactically (Block followed by Counterstrike), but that cedes the initiative to the opponent.
  • It has two Grabs and two Throws, That seems to be unnecessary duplication.
  • Shove and Root are odd choices for a real-world military combat art. 
  • You've given the style a lot of, "combo" maneuvers but few, "basic" ones.
  • There are a lot of weapons elements, and many of them don't complement the maneuvers.
  • "Clubs (Chair)" is covered under, "Clubs." "Assault Rifle/LMG" may also fall under there, depending on how it is used.

#22 Hadmar von Wieser

Hadmar von Wieser

Competent Normal

• 108 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:47 AM

Judging from several videos I just watched Systema (at least in basic techniques and philosophy) actually is purely reactive and mainly consists of combinations of Block, Grab and Throw (or to put it better: Force Down).
And of course as most Military Martial Arts the weaponless part is only the last resort and most maneuvres usually are used with knife, club or gun.

I like HMs build, especially Grappling Throw and Disarming Throw, which seem to be so essential to Systema that they do not appear to be redundant.
But shove and root do not seem to fit, neither in Systema's philosophy nor in practical use.

Perhaps instead add a conventional

4 Martial Escape ½ +0 +0 +15 STR vs. Grabs

And +2 CSLs with Grab, Throw, Rolling with a Punch

:earth: Game Designer & Author since 1981   - and still learning ...

#23 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,807 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:06 AM

Anybody know of a good book if Systema? Some of those basic remind me of bunkai for traditonal kata.
The main object of the game is for the players and the GM to have fun. Champions 3rd ed. Pg 130

#24 Dino

Dino

Name level clerk

• 461 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:47 AM

I included the Shove and Root maneuvers because many of the early youtube videos featuring Aleksey Alekseyevich Kadochnikov show him being dog piled by multiple opponents and throwing them all off with one smooth motion. It looked suspiciously like something out of Tai Chi Chuan to I included those maneuvers. Think of them as "advanced" systema if you wish. :)

• Hyper-Man and Hadmar von Wieser like this
"Insert pretentious quote here..."