Starship Troopers - Arachnids

Urlord

Has anyone ever tried to create the Arachnids from Starship Troopers in the Hero System?

If so, I would love to see what you did.  I am creating unique creatures for my new campaign and I am wanting something similar to the Soldier, the Hoppers and the Arial bugs.  There will be wild versions as well as domesticated/tamed versions.

I'm assuming he doesn't as he stated "in the Hero System" and that website, while informative, has nothing to do with the Hero System.

But it does refer to the version of Starship Troopers.  Or in other words, it implies a request for the OP to clarify his question so that it may be answered.  Which was what I was going to ask....

^_^

Thanks for your responses and perhaps I need to explain better.

I want creatures in my new campaign that are similar in design to the Arachnids from Starship Troopers. I want the fierceness and toughness of them, but not the hive mind. They will be encountered solitary or in small groups. If captured young enough, they can be tamed as workers and mounts (both civilian and military). There are also the flying bugs as well which can be used as flying mounts.

My campaign is low magic fantasy. These creatures should be the upper level of land and aerial mounts.

I can create them from scratch, but I wanted the thoughts of others.

Well, in the movies if you blow off a warrior's limb it's still 86% effective ... and it has a vulnerable area (nerve stem) which suggests a lack of armor covering that location.  Beyond that, I'd say one needs extra limbs and some running, an armor piercing attack that does killing damage using the limbs, and a heftier bite attack that's larger in killing dice but not armor piercing.  Chiton-like armour is an obious selection, as are high CON and STUN with low INT/EGO and a need to take orders from a hive mind.  Perhaps some enhanced senses, too, given eye placement and the ability to use the eyes independently.

Per the sand beetle dissection scene, the sand beetle 'reproduces in vast numbers, has no EGO, has no fear, doesn't know about death, and so, is the perfect selfless member of society'.  I'd imagine the soldiers to be pretty similar...

Would you like to know more???

The movie version seems more appropriate for what you are describing.

No hive mind and the ability to be trained suggests animal levels of intelligence.

Basically, pick a suitably sized normal animal and work from there. Or a more "conventional" mythical flying one for the flying bugs.

Of course the most obvious source is the Hero System Bestiary. Look under Insects, Giant.

I'm not sure what's in Fantasy Hero Complete.

Assault beat me to the punch. Most Giant bugs i've seen wriiten have around 30 STR. Dex can be around 15 I think but the movie version shoukd be around 18-20. They are quick. Armor I think 5pd is enough. Bullets do get through so either damage res, maybe 25% or just a high body but not both. And as Surrealone suggest perhaps a vulnerability on loc 13 -no armor.

Just some rough ideas to get the juices flowing.

I'll offer the alternative that I'm not sure the standard drone wouldn't be better modeled as an automaton.  They really don't seem possible to stun is why I'm saying this.  Yes they suffer some blowback from taking non-killing hits, but then they just keep on coming.  They're almost zombie like in that regard, and since the recommendations for making zombies that I've always seen involve making them as automatons....Well, there it is.  Even the rudimentary intelligence/training could be simulated as "programs" from a computer type perspective with little to no individual volition.  Again, definitely subject to interpretation, and this would only be in regard to the common drones.  All of the others seemed able to be stunned and had a lot more in the way of personal motivation.

Personally, I'd also add 

1) Tunneling

2) The HTH autofire attack, I also do this with animals that attack furiously with claws. I would suggest reduced END on the Autofire (its currently costing 18 end per attack)  About two attacks and its done.  This doesn't include end for any strength or movement.  And if anything, the bugs in the movie are fairly energetic.

3) I'd like to pair up the autofire HTHKA with a straight HTH KA for a bite in a multipower, but it might be out of your damage range.  A cool effect is probably to put in a limitation on it like must follow grab or inaccurate.  This would make the bug have to grab a person and on the next phase cut them in half on a bite.  This would also allow for the players to try to get out of the grab before they get split in half.

4) Defensive presence (Presence only usable as a defense) to represent its fearlessness.

The wiki noted by assault also has a movie and game reference:  See http://starshiptroopers.wikia.com/wiki/Arachnid

According to that they should also have probably mind link (rudimental thoughts only), distinctive smell, ultrasonic hearing and possibly HRRH.

Looks good.  

Assuming a 9DC game

In combat, a PC doing about 10B 20S KA with a weapon would get through 5 BODY 9 Stun and effectively kill it in about 3 blows.  This subsumes you are not using hit locations.  If you are, it might take about 2x as much if the heroes don't start targeting non-limbs.

If your campaign doesn't normally through 4d6K, you might want an NPC take the first mandible attack just so the PCs know what the threat might entail.  If they are tough enough to take 4d6K, let them find out the hard way.>:D

Nice. Perhaps a level of hardened also?

Its not necessary since this will be in a low-magic, low-magic, gritty fantasy Hero campaign.  One of these creatures will be plenty deadly enough, since the player characters will be wearing padded/leather armor and using spears, short swords, short bows and the rare 20-25 point spell.