Asperion

Rumble of the Stars  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Starfighter Rumble?

• Buck Rodgers
    • Starbuck
    • Turn the tables
    • They all make cake

Buck Rodgers is given a challenge from one of his powerful opponents. To oppose him and make sure that he's not successful, Starbuck is thrown in there as well. They are told that only one shall be able to get out of there alive. Each of them is allowed their respective weapons to assist in the challenge. Which one would be the victor, or would they find some way to turn the tables on their opponents?

I would give it to Starbuck, gender is irrelevant. Buck is a great pilot, but Starbuck is a cut above. I would only put Luke or Anakin above Starbuck and only because they use The Force.

I think that Katie's Starbuck would give both Luke and Anakin a run for their money. The Force not withstanding. She actually understands that she's fighting in space and uses that to great effect. While Luke and Anakin both fly like they are always in Atmosphere. Probably because they learned to fly in Atmosphere.

I think that Katie's Starbuck would give both Luke and Anakin a run for their money. The Force not withstanding. She actually understands that she's fighting in space and uses that to great effect. While Luke and Anakin both fly like they are always in Atmosphere. Probably because they learned to fly in Atmosphere.

That says more about the writers than the characters, IMHO.

That says more about the writers than the characters, IMHO.

Yeah it says that the producers of nuBattlestar had better consultants who understood that Space =/= atmosphere. The last time I saw something like that was for Babylon 5. Of course, they had Harlan Ellison consulting on the Tech etc.

Yeah it says that the producers of nuBattlestar had better consultants who understood that Space =/= atmosphere. The last time I saw something like that was for Babylon 5. Of course, they had Harlan Ellison consulting on the Tech etc.

I'm not sure whether the creators of Star Wars really didn't understand the difference so much as they just didn't care. The space dogfight sequences in Star Wars were based on air battles from old WW2 movies, in some cases following them very closely. Whether the film makers understood physics or not, they certainly understood their source material.

I'm not sure whether the creators of Star Wars really didn't understand the difference so much as they just didn't care. The space dogfight sequences in Star Wars were based on air battles from old WW2 movies, in some cases following them very closely. Whether the film makers understood physics or not, they certainly understood their source material.

It's pretty clear that Lucas either didn't know and if he did he didn't care about physics. It's really clear that like many scifi creators he didn't realize how big space really is. Star Wars takes place in a large section of the galaxy. With a Star Drive that can reach anywhere in the galaxy in minutes. Emerging from hyperspace to be close enough to come into Atmosphere in minutes. I would have loved to have x-wing pilots to realize that they are fighting in Vacuum. Though having Biggs spin his Xwing to take shots at chasing Tie Fighters would have changed the ending of Episode IV by a lot.

I just remember how exciting it was seeing Kara spin around in her Viper taking out multiple Cylon Fighters.