On This Day in History

GhostDancer

The Senate ratified the Louisiana Purchase.

Gen. Douglas MacArthur returned to the Philippines, 30 months after he said "I shall return."

The U.S. House Un-American Activities Committee opened meetings about alleged Communist infiltration in the Hollywood film industry.

The 31st president of the United States, Herbert Hoover, died in New York at age 90.

Jacqueline Kennedy married Aristotle Onassis.

The Sydney Opera House was opened by Queen Elizabeth II.

Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi is killed by rebel troops in Surt, Libya, his hometown.

Andre-Jacques Garnerin made the first parachute jump from a balloon.

Sam Houston was inaugurated as the first president of the Republic of Texas.

West Germany joined the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).

President Kennedy announced an air and naval blockade of Cuba, following the discovery of Soviet missile bases on the island.

Spanish cellist, conductor, and composer Pablo Casals died in Puerto Rico, at age 96.

Muhammad Reza Shah Pahlevi, the deposed Shah of Iran, was allowed in the United States for medical treatment. This action led to the Iran hostage crisis.

25,000 women marched in New York City, demanding the right to vote.

The United Nations General Assembly convened in New York for the first time.

President Richard Nixon agreed to turn White House tape recordings requested by the Watergate special prosecutor over to Judge John J. Sirica.

A suicide truck-bombing at Beirut International airport in Lebanon killed 241 U.S. Marines and sailors.

Chechen rebels seized a crowded Moscow theater, taking hundreds hostage. Russian forces stormed the building the next day.

Madame Chiang Kai-shek died at age 105.

The treaties for the Peace of Westphalia were signed, ending the Thirty Years War, ultimately destroying the Holy Roman Empire, and ushering in the modern European state system.

Anna Edson Taylor became the first person to survive going over Niagara Falls in a barrel.

The George Washington Bridge, connecting New York and New Jersey, opened to traffic.

Nylon stockings were sold publicly for the first time, in Wilmington, Del.

The 40-hour work week went into effect under the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938.

The United Nations officially came into being as its charter took effect.

The Toronto Blue Jays became the first non-U.S. team to win the World Series.

The last Concordes landed in London, ending supersonic air travel.

Civil rights activist Rosa Parks, 92, died.

Geoffrey Chaucer died in London.

The Battle of Agincourt between England and France during the Hundred Years War took place.

King George III of Britain was crowned.

The Charge of the Light Brigade took place at Balaklava during the Crimean War.

John Steinbeck was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

The U.N. General Assembly voted to admit mainland China and expel Taiwan.

The United States invaded the Caribbean nation of Grenada.

The Battle of Agincourt between England and France during the Hundred Years War took place.

KING: What's he that wishes so?

My cousin, Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin;

If we are mark'd to die, we are enow

To do our country loss; and if to live,

The fewer men, the greater share of honour.

God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.

By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,

Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;

It yearns me not if men my garments wear;

Such outward things dwell not in my desires.

But if it be a sin to covet honour,

I am the most offending soul alive.

No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.

God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour

As one man more methinks would share from me

For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!

Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,

That he which hath no stomach to this fight,

Let him depart; his passport shall be made,

And crowns for convoy put into his purse;

We would not die in that man's company

That fears his fellowship to die with us.

This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.

He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,

Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,

And rouse him at the name of Crispian.

He that shall live this day, and see old age,

Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,

And say "To-morrow is Saint Crispian."

Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,

And say "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."

Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,

But he'll remember, with advantages,

What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,

Familiar in his mouth as household words—

Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,

Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in England now a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

In 1942, October 24 through 26, the Japanese made a series of assaults trying to storm Henderson Field on Guadalcanal. They were repulsed by troops of the US 7th Marines Regiment and (Army) 164th Infantry Regiment, and the crucial support from the 11th Marines (Artillery) Regiment. (One author compares the importance and performance of the Marine artillery in this action to that of the English longbowmen at Agincourt, on the same date more than half a millennium earlier.)

The First Continental Congress adjourned in Philadelphia.

The Erie Canal, connecting Lake Erie to the Hudson River, opened.

Wyatt Earp, his two brothers, and Doc Holliday were involved in the gunfight at the O.K. Corral in Tombstone, Arizona.

Anwar Sadat became the first Egyptian president to pay an official visit to the United States.

South Korean president Park Chung Hee was killed by the head of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency.

Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin of Israel and Prime Minister Abdel Salam Majali of Jordan signed a peace treaty in a ceremony attended by President Clinton.

Russian government forces stormed the Moscow theater held by Chechen rebels. More than 100 hostages were killed.

The Chicago White Sox sweep the Houston Astros to win their first World Series in 88 years.

Roland Macy opened Macy's Department Store in New York City. It was Macy's eighth business venture -- the other seven failed. 

The New York subway system officially opened. It was the first rapid-transit subway system in America. 

The Justice Department announced that the U.S. prison population had exceeded one million for the first time in American history. 

The Dow Jones industrial average dropped 554.26 points. The stock market was shut down for the first time since the 1981 assassination attempt on U.S. President Reagan. 

Two boats hit head-on in India. One of the boats suffered no damage. The other sank and 60 people were missing. 

A car bomb exploded in the car of Palestinian leader, Mahmoud Majzoub. Majzoub, his wife, his nine-month-old son and a passerby were injured in the blast. 

Armenia's Prime Minister and seven other government officials were killed during a parliamentary session. It was the believed that the gunmen were staging a coup.

The Anaheim Angels won their first World Series. They beat the San Francisco Giants in Game 7 of the series. 

Emmitt Smith (Dallas Cowboys) became the all-time leading rusher in the NFL when he extended his career yardage to 16,743. He achieved the record in his 193rd game. He also scored his 150th career touchdown.

Bank of America Corp. announced it had agreed to buy FleetBoston Financial Corp. The deal created the second largest banking company in the U.S.

KrazyKat_2-6-38_lg.jpg

• 2007 Argentina Elects its First Female President

Former First Lady of Argentina, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, won the elections with over 45% of all votes cast. She was re-elected to office again in 2011, this time with over 50% of the votes cast. Kirchner was not the first woman to serve as Argentina’s president, but she was the first one to be elected. Isabel Martínez de Perón served as the country’s head of state after her husband, President Juan Perón, died in office. When she was sworn in to replace her husband on July 1, 1974, she then became the first woman to be a president of any country to date.

• 1995 Fire Breaks Out between Two Metro Stations in Baku

Thought to be one of the deadliest subway disasters in history, the fire started as a result of old and faulty wiring. Over 300 people traveling in a train between Ulduz and Narimanov stations in Azerbaijan’s capital city were killed as smoke filled the subway tunnels.

• 1938 Germany expels Polish jews

Germany expelled about 17000 Polish jews and sent them to Poland which refused to take them in. 

• 1919 US Congress Passes the Volstead Act

The act enumerated ways to enforce Prohibition. Prohibition was put in place in the country by the 18th Amendment to the Constitution. The amendment made it illegal to produce, sell, or transport alcohol in the US except for medical or religious purposes. The act was named after Andrew Volstead, the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee who was one of the sponsors of the bill. Prohibition ended with the ratification of the 21st Amendment in December 1933. 

• 1918 Czechoslovakia Gains Independence

The Central European country had been a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire since the late 1700s. At the end of the First World War, with the end of the Empire on the horizon, nationalists under the leadership of Thomas Masaryk pushed for independence. Masaryk became the country’s first president in November 1918. On January 1, 1993, Czechoslovakia peacefully broke up into two countries – the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic.

*    1913 Krazy Kat debuted, as my friend Craig Yoe put it, the supreme comic of all time, forever and a day.

North Dakota and South Dakota became the 39th and 40th states, respectively.

Howard Hughes flew the Spruce Goose on its first and only flight.

Harry S. Truman defeated Thomas E. Dewey to the surprise of pollsters and newspapers, in the greatest presidential upset in history.

Twenty-One game show contestant Charles Van Doren admitted that he had been given questions and answers in advance.

Jimmy Carter defeated Gerald Ford, becoming the first U.S. president from the deep South since the Civil War.

Velma Margie Barfield, a convicted murderer became the first woman to be executed since capital punishment was reinstated in 1976.

V. Gene Robinson was consecrated as bishop by the U.S. Episcopal Church, becoming the first openly gay bishop in the church.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-03-at-12.23.55-AM.pn

The first Opium War between China and Britain broke out.

Panama proclaimed its independence from Colombia.

Clarence Birdseye marketed the first frozen peas.

The Soviet Union sent the first animal, a dog named Laika, into space aboard the Sputnik II. Laika died in orbit.

A Lebanese magazine broke the story of U.S. arms sales to Iran, leading to the Iran-Contra affair.

Carol Moseley-Braun became the first black woman elected to the U.S. Senate.

Hamid Karzai was declared the winner in Afghanistan's first presidential election.

The Chicago Cubs win the World Series for the first time in 108 years.  The rain in Cleveland is made of tears.

Jeffrey+Cirio+as+The+Nutcracker+by+Gene+1860

Abraham Lincoln was elected president of the United States.

Jefferson Davis was elected president of the Confederate States of America.

The first intercollegiate soccer game took place (Rutgers 6, Princeton 4).

Composer Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky died in St. Petersburg, Russia, at age 53.

Mohandas Gandhi led a march of miners in South Africa. He was arrested three times in the first four days of the march.