Requires Luck: Luck Magic?

Wardsman

• 2 months later...

Yes, I do not really understand how this works, too.

But great you brought it up. I'm just building CATWOMAN for my Justice League Campaign. And many sources imply she has unbelievable luck.

So I could buy Jumping, Requires A Roll: Luck - for those daring escapes and saves from falling to death.

+5 with Dodge, Escape and Dive vor Cover, Requires A Roll: Luck - for those moves when she gets away from area attacks that even hit the BATMAN.

Regeneration, Requires A Roll: Luck - for those Nine Lives.

Anyone ever tried this rule?

Yes, I do not really understand how this works, too.

But great you brought it up. I'm just building CATWOMAN for my Justice League Campaign. And many sources imply she has unbelievable luck.

So I could buy Jumping, Requires A Roll: Luck - for those daring escapes and saves from falling to death.

+5 with Dodge, Escape and Dive vor Cover, Requires A Roll: Luck - for those moves when she gets away from area attacks that even hit the BATMAN.

Regeneration, Requires A Roll: Luck - for those Nine Lives.

Anyone ever tried this rule?

Supers I get.  Having power that only activates if you  make a required luck roll I understand in a Superhero context

Magic in heroic level I don't. It strikes me more like a magical power than a spell.

And no I don't have any 6th edition books.

Mechanically it's very simple: roll your Luck dice and if you roll at least one* 6 the spell goes off.

How does it work narratively with fantasy spells? [shrug] Any way you want it to. Lots of fantasy characters have luck, whether as some kind of blessing or divine favor, or just plain being lucky - no reason that can't be a factor in spellcasting as well. I've also seen Luck dice used to represent other things like the random flow of mana in the universe, or "is my god paying attention at the moment" and the like.

* Edit: or however many are required based on the value of the Limitation, ie if two 6s are required, the Limitation is worth more.

Waay back, when I was a kid...I read a "shared world" fantasy called Liavek (?) That had people perform a riyual on their birthday to "bind their luck"...if they failed No luck, death was likely. So all magic was "luck based" if it can be found, it might give you some ideas...?

You could use it for varying effectiveness of abilities based on how fortunate you are.

For example, a character could buy one level of Combat Luck and also buy additional levels requiring Luck rolls: one extra level requiring one level of Luck rolled, a second one requiring two levels rolled, etc.

A character could have extra skill levels requiring Luck rolls.

For example, a character could buy one level of Combat Luck and also buy additional levels requiring Luck rolls: one extra level requiring one level of Luck rolled, a second one requiring two levels rolled, etc.

I like this a lot. I generally tend to avoid putting RSR on defenses because it can slow things down, but that's a neat mechanism for making Combat Luck be a variable amount rather than a fixed quantity.