Resourcing Hero games on Roll20

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Shigeru

Shigeru

Jidai-Geki Hero

• 246 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

For TURN orders, I usually load up the pertinent Heroes, villains, NPCs and vehicles for my session in Hero Designer and export the Combat Record, sorted by SPD and DEX, as an HTML file. Then I open that up in a new browser tab, so I can go to and from Roll20 and my participant data. I keep a Notepad file open to manage things like Flashes, Entangles or whatnot. 

"Like a meteor, like darkness, as a flickering lamp, An illusion, like hoar-frost or a bubble, Like clouds, a flash of lightning, or a dream: So is all conditioned existence to be seen."

#22 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 6,033 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

If I ever manage to run another game it will probably be on this platform.  I liked Maptools but its an enormous expenditure of labor up front for the GM every time.

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Two Kings Keep

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more                               Kestrel Arts on Twitter                           Kestrel Arts on Facebook

#23 Doc Democracy

Doc Democracy

Freedom Fighter

• 4,662 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:51 AM

Well, Roll20 does need some effort to get it properly working and it can make you feel you need to do more. However, you can do it all with a couple of very basic maps and tokens and do everything else on the fly...

"A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a sh**house wall
But before I die I'll add my regal scrawl
To show the world I'm left with sweet f*** all"
- Shane McGowan, Sea Shanty

#24 Cantriped

Cantriped

Heroic Magicat

• 1,476 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

Instead of trying to replicate the Speed Chart within Roll20s extant Turn System; would it be easier to use the extant turn structure to represent Segments instead (and therefore only include in the turn order the characters who have a phase that segment)?

I've never used Roll20, so I know very little about it... and don't actually know how easy/hard it is to add/remove characters from the turn order.

#25 Doc Democracy

Doc Democracy

Freedom Fighter

• 4,662 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

I think that the best solution in Roll20 is likely to be a custom card deck where each player has the number of cards as they have phases, with some design work, I think it should be possible to do a player by player run through of who should be next. Trouble would come with delays etc but I think it might be workable. Will be my next experiment, haven't actually played with the cards much...

#26 Scott Ruggels2

Scott Ruggels2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:48 PM

what about going super Low tech, and just putting a graphjic of a speed chart line and an extra set of tokens on it? i know the real estate is kind of limited, but some sort of a floater might work, or something in the side bar?

#27 Doc Democracy

Doc Democracy

Freedom Fighter

• 4,662 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:35 AM

It all depends on what you want.  I am now thinking that it would work purely through the chat bar.  I could have a macro that gave me a graphic that had the information I have on the cards - it would simply mean instead of tapping on the turn tracker, I tapped on the macro, chose the right segment and then the chat bar would come up with those characters with an action on that segment, and those who would have an action on the next one...

Doc

#28 Scott Ruggels2

Scott Ruggels2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

That would work, though in  voice, people tend to ignore the chat bar unless it has a die roll.  Is there a way to play a sound or tone to tell people to check the chat window, like a Skype  message?

#29 Doc Democracy

Doc Democracy

Freedom Fighter

• 4,662 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

If you don't have the chat bar on top, for example looking at macros or characters etc, it bongs when someone enters some chat.

As it happens, one of the things we are interested in is capturing a game log. As such we do a lot of chatting and meta gaming in the video links but everything in character is done in the chat bar. It keeps our eyes on it and so would work for my lot.

I reckon it should be possible for always bonging when chatting, though that could get tiresome.... :-)

#30 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,606 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

I reckon it should be possible for always bonging when chatting, though that could get tiresome.... :-)

MapTool pops up a little Chat bubble icon on the map when somebody chats, rolls dice, etc. Any options like that for Roll20?

#31 Doc Democracy

Doc Democracy

Freedom Fighter

• 4,662 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:20 AM

I have not seen that but it would be a great idea. Will suggest it on their forums. Would be nice for the last character to have spoken to have a speech bubble appear from it and a GM bubble near the top...

#32 Scott Ruggels2

Scott Ruggels2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

The GM Bubble being a rectangle in yellow, like old Marvel Comics XD. IC Charactger  speech bubbles would be  fun(provided you had a little (x) at the corner to dismiss them if they get in the way of something on the map.

#33 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

• 9,606 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

I have not seen that but it would be a great idea. Will suggest it on their forums. Would be nice for the last character to have spoken to have a speech bubble appear from it and a GM bubble near the top...

Well MapTools is not so comprehensive, being just a clickable icon to show the chat window if it is out of focus. I like your idea though. 

#34 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

• 9,606 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

Hey Doc,

Is your test game still up? The link from Post #1 is dead and I cannot find it by searching.

#35 Doc Democracy

Doc Democracy

Freedom Fighter

• 4,662 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

It is, will go get a link and replace the earlier one.

PS:done. Repeated here.
:-)

You can join the sandbox at https://app.roll20.n.../1628298/KcEqwA