First, I want to make sure I'm in the right place.

Duke Bushido

Thanks for the patience.

I would like to ask for some advice on a power build, but before I do, I would like to confirm that this is the correct forum for it.  I've seen such questions both in this section and Hero System Discussion, and thus am not certain as to which is the most-correct place to make such appeals.

But if you wanted to stickle, then it would be Hero System board of it was a generic question about how a particular power worked and if there were alternatives that might be better placed.  It would be Champions if it was more focussed on how a particular build worked for the Superhero genre...

I tend to post in Hero System when I am looking for real rules lawyer types to go over something hard to determine its point value, its balance and its managability,  I come to Champions when I am more interested in how something might play in game and achieve a cool effect...

Fine distinctions and, as Grail Knight indicated, we are not too worried about it. 

Personally I prefer to go for the HERO System Discussion. However there you should always say what kind of game you have (Heroic or Superheroic, what point level) as the answer can varry greatly between the two.

However the sub-genre forums can be used if the question is about a specific genre.

That also means we can imply the kind of game if you forgot to mention it.

All right; thanks to you all.

For the record, Ninja-Bear, it's a "welcome back."  I left the boards a few years ago-- about the time 6e came out, I believe.  I was rather surprised to find my account still worked. :)

But that's neither here nor there.  For the first time in quite some time, I am having a problem trying to come up with a RAW build for something.

A brief bit of background:

Point 1:

I have a recurring low-level NPC, generally as a sort-of villain,  who has a build that has always been a bit cumbersome.  However, for twenty-odd years, he's gotten by on narrative and hand wave.  Honestly, he likely always would get away with that. 

Point 2:

It's not unusual to let a new player who isn't quite comfortable with character building to opt to use an appropriate NPC for a few sessions until they have a feel for the game and a better understanding of "what's what."  Once they get ready to make their own character, the NPC is handle appropriately.

Point 3:

The players in this particular group have done something a bit unusual considering how other groups in the past have failed to do: they have successfully swayed him to give up his current lifestyle, reconsider his personal motivations, and try being one of the good guys.

Point4:

One of the newer players has been bringing an interested friend the the last three sessions, and that friend wants to try playing.  Timing being what it is, and his interests lying where they do, he is most interested in using this particular NPC a few times as a "see if I like playing this" test.  I'm fine with it; everyone else is fine with it.  But there is that one problem:  his defining power was never built "correctly."  I gave him specifically the effects I wanted him to have, but couldn't get them to work precisely as I wanted without beating them repeatedly with an 8-pound kludge hammer.

Character concept:

Character is a light brick / poor speedster.  Goes by the name Freight Train.  Primary attacks are move-by and move-through type stuff, hence the name.

Powers are derived from being a magnet / focusing point for kinetic energy.

I don't have problems with most of the character, but there's one power that I've never been able to make a RAW version of that I was happy with:

As he runs, a Force Wall forms on him.  It's 1" wide, starting with the leading edge of the hex he is in.  It then trails behind him on his left and right (yes; back is open.  Don't have a real problem there, either: that's a pretty simple build.

The problem comes from the fact that he can grab through it: Foci, objects, other characters, etc.  The kludge has been "indirect" on his strength.  This _is_ a kludge, however: having indirect STR will allow him to _grab_ something or someone, and even carry it or him.  But it doesn't let him bring that item into the field with him.

Example:   Freight Train wants to grab an accomplice and spirit her away before the police can shoot at her.  He makes his grab-by and pulls her close to him so that his FW will protect her.

Or at least, he _wants_ to.  What happens following the specifics of FW and Indirect is that he grabs her and runs, but she's still outside his FW and he's running with his arms straight out.  If he draws his arms back close to him, the FW scrapes her out of his arms.

Second Kludge:

(and for the record, I'm happiest with this, just don't know if it's RAW)  Indirect on STR _and_ the using the FF advantage "protects carried items / people."  It's pretty close, and I don't feel that it's as big a hand wave as I've been doing for the character: The only hand wave is that she is now inside the FW that is protecting her.

Third Kludge, presented for the humor:

The first attempt at making an FW that the character could reach through and draw things into was Armor, UOO, must be touching, Trigger: physical contact (think of it as the "Undamage Sheild" :D ), usable on others _only_, with and FW trailing out around and behind him.  This was cumbersome, and ended up with some other gameplay issues that gave it the wrong feel, for lack of a better term.

And for your amusement, all of it was better than Armor, AOE.  All of it.  Really.

Any suggestions?

This 

Have you considered having a VERY short range TP, only to move people/stuff through your FW, only if you make a successful grab roll?  This would seem to give you the functionality you want without compromising the force wall...and I do not think it would cost many points.  Nugatory expense to get the game effect you are looking for...

Doc

Have you considered having a VERY short range TP, only to move people/stuff through your FW, only if you make a successful grab roll?  This would seem to give you the functionality you want without compromising the force wall...and I do not think it would cost many points.  Nugatory expense to get the game effect you are looking for...

Doc

The problem would still be the partial transparency on the Forcewall needed to get stuff through (that you want), without letting enemies/thier attacks through. That is not a cheap form of transparency.

But let us not get ahead of ourself:

Since you said you left around when 6E came out, are you using 5E or 6E right now? The answer will varry heavily based on it.

We're using 2e.  I have (and refer to for various reasons) 4 and 5e as well: we pull out the stuff that works for our campaigns and sort of "downgrade" it to make it consistent with the rest of 2e.  So don't worry about trying to build it in 2e.  A 5e (or perhaps even a 6e) RAW build will be fine; I'll figure out a way to make it fit in.

The real irritant here is that the concept itself hasn't come close to being a problem in-game; it shouldn't be so cumbersome to create.  :snicker:

Thanks, folks.

The problem would still be the partial transparency on the Forcewall needed to get stuff through (that you want), without letting enemies/thier attacks through. That is not a cheap form of transparency.

But let us not get ahead of ourself:

Since you said you left around when 6E came out, are you using 5E or 6E right now? The answer will varry heavily based on it.

Maybe you did not get what I meant.

TP 1", only usable on others - SFX - hands reach through the force wall and draw item or person back through it.

I am not sure what kind of transparency the force wall needs for this or how it compromises the protection from anyone else's attacks.

You are effectively making a grab with the teleport rather than your hands, though the item grabbed ALWAYS lands in your hands.  The teleport could be resisted by making a STR vs STR roll - as the conceit is that it is actually the character reaching through.

Doc

this may work

Desolidification , Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/4), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally, Recipient must remain close to Grantor (50 Active Points); Does Not Protect Against Damage (-1), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to pass through own FW; -1)

it should let you move through your FW

Welcome back Duke. It sounds like an interesting build and a fun character.

The problem comes from the fact that he can grab through it: Foci, objects, other characters, etc.  The kludge has been "indirect" on his strength.  This _is_ a kludge, however: having indirect STR will allow him to _grab_ something or someone, and even carry it or him.  But it doesn't let him bring that item into the field with him.

Yeah, I see what you mean that Indirect doesn't totally get you there. I think you're on the right track tho - some sort of Advantage, not sure it really matters what you call it. 6e has a "One-Way Transparent" Advantage that allows attacks to pass through a barrier in one direction; it's +1/2 for a single attack or small group of attacks, of +1 for all attacks. It seems like you could use something like that here. Technically reaching out and pulling someone through goes through both ways but that's just sfx - the effect is that he can bring people through the wall when he wants to. So call it "Can bring other characters through wall, +1/2" and call it good. No need to overthink it IMO.

Edit: the advantage of using a single semi-custom Advantage is then the discussion just becomes about how much it should cost, based on how much utility it adds to the Power/Character.

this may work

Desolidification , Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/4), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally, Recipient must remain close to Grantor (50 Active Points); Does Not Protect Against Damage (-1), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to pass through own FW; -1)

it should let you move through your FW

Rules legal, but seems like an awfully expensive way to do something that's a relatively minor trick.

Maybe you did not get what I meant.

TP 1", only usable on others - SFX - hands reach through the force wall and draw item or person back through it.

I am not sure what kind of transparency the force wall needs for this or how it compromises the protection from anyone else's attacks.

You are effectively making a grab with the teleport rather than your hands, though the item grabbed ALWAYS lands in your hands.  The teleport could be resisted by making a STR vs STR roll - as the conceit is that it is actually the character reaching through.

Doc

That's not a bad idea, actually.  It doesn't quite "feel" right, but game-wise, it does what I want it to do.  I don't know about 6e, but the FW doesn't need a transparency.  Previous versions allow T-port through an FW so long as it's not Hardened.

I particularly like the idea that with the T-port build, there's an HtH mechanic for the grabbing that works as I have always envisioned it.

Thanks, BDH---  

Feels odd, given that the board is mostly 6e now. :D

I like that 6e has this "one-way-Transparent" thing.   We've been using a house rule built along the lines of the old "personal immunity" for that very thing.  As you noted, though, it only works one way.   I've been kludging this guy for years now, and I don't want to hand him off to a player without actually having at least _once_ found a "legal" way to do what he's always done.

Of the suggestions so far, the T-port with appropriate limitations seems to come the closest. 

Thanks to all. 

Edit: the advantage of using a single semi-custom Advantage is then the discussion just becomes about how much it should cost, based on how much utility it adds to the Power/Character.

:rofl:

Oh yes!  I remember the cost discussions on Advantages.  :snicker:

In this case, it doesn't add a great deal of utility: FW can already be used to protect other people and things.  All this does is allow him to do it on the fly, and then really only to one (possibly two, if they're agreeable, as he has the STR to do it)  people or the few things he can grab and carry.

He paid legitimately for the FW, and in spite of the AP in it (which is _huge_, if you remember how 2e did Zero Endurance ;) ), the limitations on it (must be running, starts on him and follows backwards, etc.  Even then, because it trails evenly down both sides of him, it will never be able to get the full "length" as a barrier)-- it has little more utility than FF.  Because his running requires a turn mode, he can't really even circle someone to fully protect them.

He has paid a great deal of points for something with very, very limited utility.  I've never complained about that because the game effect is precisely the concept I had for his power.  I'm tickled with it.  The only thing I've had trouble with is that one thing-- finding a book-legal way to grab something outside the FW and run off with it.

And it's actually _vital_, since most of his early criminal career was unarmed smash-and-grab robbery, just with a higher profile: smash through the wall of a jewelry store, smash straight through the display cases, smash through the opposite wall and disappear.

The smash part is easy.  But that grab part has been frustratingly difficult.   :snicker:

How about just using Forcefield?

5e Build
60pts Force Field (10 PD/10 ED) (Custom Adder, Protect Carried Items), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (75 Active Points); Limited Coverage [181-360] Degrees (doesn't cover the back hex side; -1/4)

by it's nature you should be able to reach though your own Forcefield.

The very first build of the character started with Force Field (and it may have to go back to that) but the AOE would have to be largish (at top running speed, the FW trail behind the character is 15" long) specifically because there wasn't an easy way to reach through Force Wall.

The definition is the stumper, though.  As I recall, the definition is that a Force Field is a close-to-you thing.  While the kinetic field _is_ very close to him at the front of the U-shape, it spreads out in sort of a wide slipstream and then runs back behind him.

I'm going to give the T-port idea a run through on paper and see how it feels.  I may ultimately have to go back to the FF, though.

(And if you actually are a Mac Goddess, I have a completely unrelated problem I would like to quiz you about. :) )

You have a Force Wall that doesn't completely surround you.  I don't think you need to pay for any Advantage at all.  I think you can just do it for free.

Think about it like this.  Bob is playing Captain Robot, a character who has a force shield generator built into its right arm.  The shield (built using Force Wall) forms a semicircle partially around him, covering 3 hex facings.  Captain Robot wants to grab Helpless Hostage and protect her with the shield.  On his action, he moves his right arm over to the side (thus moving the shield), grabs her with his left arm, and then moves the right arm back.  No problem.  No sweat.  (If somebody has a problem with moving the shield, alternatively Captain Robot can just step forward, in front of her, and grab her that way).

Your character should be able to do the same thing.  Since the Force Wall is centered on him, he should be able to move it.  There's really no difference in your character reorienting the Force Wall so that he can save a hostage, and reaching through the thing.  You are doing the same thing in the game, just describing it differently.

Ah; I see the misunderstanding.

The short version of Freight Train's powers:

As he begins to run, he becomes a magnet for kinetic energy.   It is drawn to him-- minute increments from any and all motion in his environment.  It focuses on him, and he has a superhuman ability to amplify and focus it.  After he exceeds 10" / phase of running, this begins. It is the field around him that allows him to move super fast.  He pays END only on the first 10" running per Phase.  All his Running beyond that is 0 END.

It is because the field focuses on and carries him that his super speed is not exhausting, but it _is_ difficult to alter the course of the field (and object in motion, etc).  His running has reduced acceleration (the field has to build) and it requires a Turn mode.  Additionally, he must spend END to make a turn (he pays 1/2 END for _all_ the Running he is using that Phase).  With a successful Skill roll (originally an EGO roll, but he _is_ practicing and getting better), he may turn two hex faces, otherwise it's only 1 face.  He must pay END to reduce his speed by more than 10" in any Phase as he must literally pull himself out of the kinetic force. To drop 1/4 of his speed (assuming this is a reduction of greater than 10", he pays 1/2 END on the running he is using _before_ he slows.  To drop half his speed, he pays full END.  To drop to 3/4 velocity, he pays 1.5 END, and to stop he pays x2 END on all the running he is using _before_ beginning to slow-- again, assuming this is a reduction of greater than 10").  The kinetic field travels forward without him, dissipating back into the environmental actions around him.

The Kinetic Field is the Force Wall.  It is centered on him, but it's not created or controlled by him:

Triggered: speed exceeds 10" / Phase; 0-END, Area of Effect (one shape).  Uncontrolled, Linked to Running (proportionally).  Dissipates when speed drops below 10", Takes a full turn to regenerate when DEF is exceeded (assuming he's still running).

There are a couple of nifty tricks he's learned to do with the kinetic field (not really relevant for the Force Wall discussion, so in the interest of brevity I'm skipping them), but the ones he relies on most are the running, the buffering defense when he smashes into things (Kinetic Cushion: Force Field, only offers protection from damage caused by Move-by / Move-Through style maneuvers), and at great penalty, a ranged attack of sorts (Energy Blast: AOE: Line, 1" wide, No Range: Line begins in hex directly in front of character), damage (and length of line) depend on drop in velocity, x2 END,( this is in addition to the END he must pay for stopping quickly),  instantly drops FW)

To expand on that last a bit:

To get full dice (12d6), he must be running at full speed and come to a complete stop.  Cutting from top speed to half that results in 6D6.  

Running at half speed and dropping to quarter speed would give him 3D6.  You get the picture, I'm sure. ;)

No; it's not a _great_ attack, and he doesn't use it a lot because frankly, it's staggeringly difficult to practice, given the END costs, and he can do more damage with his Move Throughs / Move-bys.  He wants to get better at it, though, because there are so many opponents that he can't run into.  :snicker:

The idea is that he is sharpening his innate kinetic focusing ability to the point that he can, at least partially, maintain the integrity of the field even after he tears himself loose from it: it moves forward in something akin to how his move-through would work, only without him in it.  He can't control it for very long or for any great distance, but the little bit of control he does have allows him to make the field itself a ranged attack of sorts.

I don't know if that helps clear up any details on how the Force Wall works or not, but I'm afraid turning it (or even dropping it for a heartbeat or two) just doesn't work with the conception. 

But I do thank you for taking the time to think about it.  It's much appreciated. :)

As he begins to run, he becomes a magnet for kinetic energy.   It is drawn to him-- minute increments from any and all motion in his environment.  It focuses on him, and he has a superhuman ability to amplify and focus it.  After he exceeds 10" / phase of running, this begins. It is the field around him that allows him to move super fast.  He pays END only on the first 10" running per Phase.  All his Running beyond that is 0 END.

It is because the field focuses on and carries him that his super speed is not exhausting, but it _is_ difficult to alter the course of the field (and object in motion, etc).  His running has reduced acceleration (the field has to build) and it requires a Turn mode.  Additionally, he must spend END to make a turn (he pays 1/2 END for _all_ the Running he is using that Phase).  With a successful Skill roll (originally an EGO roll, but he _is_ practicing and getting better), he may turn two hex faces, otherwise it's only 1 face.  He must pay END to reduce his speed by more than 10" in any Phase as he must literally pull himself out of the kinetic force. To drop 1/4 of his speed (assuming this is a reduction of greater than 10", he pays 1/2 END on the running he is using _before_ he slows.  To drop half his speed, he pays full END.  To drop to 3/4 velocity, he pays 1.5 END, and to stop he pays x2 END on all the running he is using _before_ beginning to slow-- again, assuming this is a reduction of greater than 10").  The kinetic field travels forward without him, dissipating back into the environmental actions around him.

The Kinetic Field is the Force Wall.  It is centered on him, but it's not created or controlled by him:

Triggered: speed exceeds 10" / Phase; 0-END, Area of Effect (one shape).  Uncontrolled, Linked to Running (proportionally).  Dissipates when speed drops below 10", Takes a full turn to regenerate when DEF is exceeded (assuming he's still running).

There are a couple of nifty tricks he's learned to do with the kinetic field (not really relevant for the Force Wall discussion, so in the interest of brevity I'm skipping them), but the ones he relies on most are the running, the buffering defense when he smashes into things (Kinetic Cushion: Force Field, only offers protection from damage caused by Move-by / Move-Through style maneuvers), and at great penalty, a ranged attack of sorts (Energy Blast: AOE: Line, 1" wide, No Range: Line begins in hex directly in front of character), damage (and length of line) depend on drop in velocity, x2 END,( this is in addition to the END he must pay for stopping quickly),  instantly drops FW)

To expand on that last a bit:

To get full dice (12d6), he must be running at full speed and come to a complete stop.  Cutting from top speed to half that results in 6D6.  

Running at half speed and dropping to quarter speed would give him 3D6.  You get the picture, I'm sure. ;)

No; it's not a _great_ attack, and he doesn't use it a lot because frankly, it's staggeringly difficult to practice, given the END costs, and he can do more damage with his Move Throughs / Move-bys.  He wants to get better at it, though, because there are so many opponents that he can't run into.  :snicker:

The idea is that he is sharpening his innate kinetic focusing ability to the point that he can, at least partially, maintain the integrity of the field even after he tears himself loose from it: it moves forward in something akin to how his move-through would work, only without him in it.  He can't control it for very long or for any great distance, but the little bit of control he does have allows him to make the field itself a ranged attack of sorts.

I don't know if that helps clear up any details on how the Force Wall works or not, but I'm afraid turning it (or even dropping it for a heartbeat or two) just doesn't work with the conception. 

But I do thank you for taking the time to think about it.  It's much appreciated. :)

Hey no problem, but you aren't actually "turning" it.  You should still be able to do what I was talking about.  Let's look at your writeup more closely.

(snip)

But I do thank you for taking the time to think about it.  It's much appreciated.  :)

So your Force Wall doesn't need Area of Effect.  It's already Area of Effect by nature of how Force Wall works.  Unless things were really different in 2nd edition (I started with 4th).  You also don't need Uncontrolled.  Force Wall is a defensive power, it doesn't take an action to create.  Uncontrolled doesn't give you anything that the basic power doesn't start with.

Now, I understand the visualization that you're going with.  The power is like an energy battering ram that builds up in front of him, and as such, it doesn't make a lot of sense for him to be able to turn it or move it out of the way.  But you didn't actually take that as a limitation.  So what this means is that you've got a power that can technically be used in the game, in a way that visually doesn't fit the power theme.  That's not really a problem, except that you are struggling to find a way to allow the character to do something that he can already do.

Captain Robot can turn his energy shield to the side.  Visually, imagine a robotic Captain America with some kind of big energy shield, and he can move it in front of the person he is defending.  Your character should be able to do the same thing, because you didn't take any limitation on it.  The ability we're looking for here is "protect other person with my Force Wall".  While Captain Robot is swinging his around, the description that you use is that your character can simply reach through it.  You don't have to pay points for that ability, because you can already maneuver your Force Wall so that it shields someone else.

The description of how you do it, is free.  You don't have to pay points just because it looks like you're reaching through the shield.

No; the Force wall doesn't need AOE.

That part of the write up is the Energy Blast / Ranged Attack / whatever it might be called in 6e.  Our group's been calling it "Ranged Attack" for a couple of decades now, just because it fits with Hand to Hand Attack and, well-- it isn't always Energy. :)

That particular attack is when the character literally pulls himself free from the flow of the field and lets the field flow forward as an attack.  The AOE is to keep the same general characteristics that the field has: it's a continuous line, one hex wide.  Since the rules don't let us throw a Force Wall (don't have 6e; that may well have changed! I hadn't thought about that), I have "turn it into" an acceptable analogous attack: hence, the FW becomes an Energy Blast that looks just like it.

The Uncontrolled is because the character doesn't control the Force Wall aspect of it at all.  He can't summon it; he can't turn it off; he doesn't get to decide where it goes or how it's shaped.  Those last two may be redundant, but the first two remain valid: it's almost as if it's a side-effect of his power (which it originally was, until I realized that since he _is_ gaining DEF from it's presence, it needed to be built and bought as a power).

My understanding-- and I may well be wrong here; we've been playing from notebooks and house rules for so long that as I write this I realize I'm not exactly certain just when I last actually looked in the rulebook! Ha!-- sorry; my understanding is that "Uncontrolled" is just that: he can't control it, not at all.  He  can't turn it or angle it or such.  If it doesn't, then I am building this using the wrong Limitation, because that inability to do more than take advantage of its existence is what the character concept is going for.

Though I agree with everything you're saying, the problem is that this character can't actually move the Force Wall.  It will always form a certain way: the center is just in front of him, then it turns to wrap down exactly the path he just took-- unless someone is running right behind him, it's protecting only his footprints.  It will always be open in the back, etc.

This is where the complication comes in: he can --

Eureka!

Sorry; I went and dug my books out.  I just ran across a line that specifically states that FW doesn't work for Move-Throughs or Move-Bys (which, if I remember right, is why the original sheet had the Force Field with limitations: to proved the DEF that FW _should_ provide in a Move-through, but does not).

At any rate, if it simply fails to work in a move through or move by-- then apparently running into someone with the Force Wall simply forces the wall to admit them.

Hunh.

Looks like we're golden from the start.

All this because I'd fallen out of the habit of looking at the book.  Mea Culpa.

Sincerest thanks to all who offered their help, though!  It's thoroughly appreciated.   You folks are great. :)

Uncontrolled is an Advantage.  It is supposed to make the power better.  You have to pay extra for it.  You're looking for some kind of Limitation.  Since there isn't a default "can't maneuver my Force Wall" limitation, you're going to have to create one with the "limited power" limitation.  So what you do is say "can't maneuver Force Wall, always faces front, except to protect people".

Visually, you aren't moving it around.  You are just performing a regular maneuver that you could perform anyway.  And since the special effect of the power is such that you don't want it moving around, you just say that you're reaching through it.  It's something you can do for free.

Your special effects, the description of the power, does not require you to pay extra just to have it look cool.

To try and make it more clear...

Normally with a Force Wall that was centered on you, and only shielded you from certain directions, you'd be able to interact with others by moving it and reaching around it. Since you didn't take a limitation preventing it, and didn't get any points back, you can still do that.

Now visually that doesn't fit with how you see your powers working. But that just means we change the description of what is happening. We don't have to change the game mechanics. You don't have to put all these advantages on it, or buy extra powers, just to grab someone and protect them with your Force Wall. Because what you are looking to do is already allowed with your power build. Mechanics-wise, you aren't reaching through the Force Wall, you're positioning it around the new character. But description-wise, it looks cooler if you just pull them through. So that is how you describe it.