Star wars hero

BBstacker

Dice rolls for character creation?  Yeah, I hate that, myself with my unlucky rolling. 

No, FFG's Star Wars doesn't have dice rolls for character creation - sorry if I gave that impression. I was referring to their dice pool mechanic for task/combat resolution that uses lots of custom dice and seems to favor incredibly random results.

From what I've researched, It seems to be that the master gives the padawan his first lightsaber so the padawan can learn about it. It is one of the requirements for knighthood that he constructs his own though. But on Starwars rebels, which is canon, Ezra built his own first before Kanan started teaching him. So I guess it depends on the master I guess. Plus it is much more than just building a lightsaber. It's treated like a bonding exercise in the force. Some Jedi regard the lightsaber not as a weapon but more like a focusing tool for the force.

Yeah, at least in the FFG games as I understand it* creating a lightsaber actually requires the use of the Force, and for best results it has to be tuned to the individual Force user. Seems like a really involved way of justifying an off-hand comment in one movie to me, but then it sometimes seems like most of SW canon is attempts to do exactly that.

* I haven't actually read that sourcebook, so I'm basing my statements off what the two Force-using PCs in my game are currently going through.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've researched, It seems to be that the master gives the padawan his first lightsaber so the padawan can learn about it. It is one of the requirements for knighthood that he constructs his own though. But on Starwars rebels, which is canon, Ezra built his own first before Kanan started teaching him. So I guess it depends on the master I guess. Plus it is much more than just building a lightsaber. It's treated like a bonding exercise in the force. Some Jedi regard the lightsaber not as a weapon but more like a focusing tool for the force.

Still doesn't really make sense.  Implies any gadgeteer type can be a Jedi, while the badass at telekinesis cant, simply because he doesn't know the difference between a nut and a bolt.  But, ok.

yeah, being nitpicky.

I've came to the conclusion that for the most part, StormTroopers are the Red shirts of Star Wars. I was looking over a scenerio in the Supernova module and the main baddies are ISB with their own guards. That just didn't feel right to me when I read it. Im still going to use the ISB agent but substitute the guards for stormies. I know that in the openining scene, the players are going to expect Storm Troopers! I will though have more powerful Stormies then down the line.

Fluff wise, Im going to push the idea that many of the Stormtroopers are more or less raw recruits thrown in armor. They are a symbal of the Empire and the Empire needs legions of them to be ubiquios. Also I like the idea that the Sith really don't care about its man power. Why else wouldn't the TIE have shields?

Probably make some sense, I guess, when at war you got to get the recruits as fast as possible, and hope they know enough to live till Day 2 or longer.

COurse, the unseen Imperial Army trooper should probably have fulfilled that purpose, while the stormtrooper are the crack troops.   I believe in a couple places in the Zahn trilogy the former seemed implied to be more plentiful.

No, FFG's Star Wars doesn't have dice rolls for character creation - sorry if I gave that impression. I was referring to their dice pool mechanic for task/combat resolution that uses lots of custom dice and seems to favor incredibly random results.

Yeah, at least in the FFG games as I understand it* creating a lightsaber actually requires the use of the Force, and for best results it has to be tuned to the individual Force user. Seems like a really involved way of justifying an off-hand comment in one movie to me, but then it sometimes seems like most of SW canon is attempts to do exactly that.

* I haven't actually read that sourcebook, so I'm basing my statements off what the two Force-using PCs in my game are currently going through.

I have to admit, if it were up to me the whole lightsaber creation mythos, I'd dump, especially considering non-Force using Greivous slinging those things around like a maniac, (possibly explained by cyborg programming I suppose, but still reaching)

I truly hate what they've done to the stormtroopers.....They are supposed to be Spec force not spec fodder lol! there were actual regular army troopers that we never saw.....I think I should build a stormtrooper to reflect this.

I guess the stormtrooper rep was really neutered on Endor. (damn you again ewoks).  Yeah, I remember Lucas trying to allude to Vietnam, though I am not quite sure where he got the impression that the Viet Cong were a Paleolithic hunter culture.  THe stormtroopers should have mostly been none the worse for wear.  A few bruises, maybe some spear stabs in the gaps of armor.  But, nothing immediately fatal unless they lose their helmet and then got clocked on the head by a club (though those spear wounds might be prone to eventual infection). 

Now the non-stormtroopers, (the troopers in black, aka the naval troopers)  might have suffered a few more casualties.

Then again their strategy was wholly lacking in common sense.  (keeping the base intact was priority, at least till the Rebel fleet got blasted to scrap, WTF are they running haphazardly into unfamiliar forest to attack the natives with spears?**)

**if the imperial officer in charge of the moon-base was still alive at the end, he definitely needed to pull off a seppuku

Probably make some sense, I guess, when at war you got to get the recruits as fast as possible, and hope they know enough to live till Day 2 or longer.

COurse, the unseen Imperial Army trooper should probably have fulfilled that purpose, while the stormtrooper are the crack troops. I believe in a couple places in the Zahn trilogy the former seemed implied to be more plentiful.

I agree. Fwiw in legends I believe, the Army Troopers were sent on planets and did live fire battles against each other and the survivors are what you see in play.

Also with the armor l, you also have another Sith trait-deception. If everyone is familar with Clone Troopers then the lay person would assume that Storm Troopers are just as good.

Well I do think that the Storm troopers in FA were more deadly and competent.

Actually, Disney did a pretty good job in mining the canon material and EU material to explain this.

The clone troopers were elite. Unfortunately, since they were all cloned off of the same people, it turned out that you could make a biological weapon targeted to just that person, and wipe out whole battalions. So, by the time Luke is around, the Emperor has hastily replaced them with troops meant to be highly numerous, and thus, not really crack troops. At the same time, Grand Moff Tarkin has made his name for, among other things, promoting a sort of Hitler Youth approach in which troops are groomed from childhood in both obedience and fanaticism for the goals and the authority of the Emperor, and combat. The person who was pivotal in this plan is the father of the guy who gives the Hitler speech in TFA, and apparently these characters are from a few EU books.

The First Order has neither the territory or the numbers that the Empire had, so they go with higher tech(faster tie fighters and better Death Stars) and a focus on elite troops over just hordes of guys in white armor.

Still doesn't really make sense.  Implies any gadgeteer type can be a Jedi, while the badass at telekinesis cant, simply because he doesn't know the difference between a nut and a bolt.  But, ok.

yeah, being nitpicky.

I agree, though I would say, it would be advisable to have the force before trying to use a weapon that every square inch of would melt your flesh off if it accidentally touched.

I still say that in canon material, few new jedi who aren't Skywalkers does anything but train with a light saber. And if a starting character is a jedi knight, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

To clarify, my nephews are nowhere near as hairy as me...

Personally, I go with Legends most of the time.  Easy to throw out the sillier stuff, outright, under most circumstances.  ANd it isn't like Canon doesnt have their own headscratchers.  Just that 90 percent of the time when reading the Canon and Legends articles of something on Wookiepedia, I find the Legends one more detailed and interesting about 90 percent of the time.

Personally, these sequels look like they are shaping up to look more like a fun fanfic than anything else, with Legends having the better world to play with, but 8 and 9 will tell the difference.  ANyway, this is all how I see it. (so, if it is my game, it would be the Imperial Remnants rather than the First Order)

Note: And no one is taking the Endor Holocaust away from me, damn it!

ANd it isn't like Canon doesnt have their own headscratchers.

That's been a problem with our SW game - trying to agree on what constitutes canon and what doesn't, and the implications of that. We agreed early on to exclude most of the Extended Universe since most of the players aren't familiar with it. Me, I'm of the opinion the prequels are not canon and are in fact a story Theerpio told while drunk on android homebrew and bear about as much resemblance to actual history as your average "Based On True Events" movie today; but the GM disagrees. And all of the headscratchers in canon where if you think about it for a second you realize "If that were true, that kind makes the Jedi all look like morons/assholes/evil..." he has taken the approach "Well then the Jedi must have been evil moronic assholes."

Add to that the fact that the GM has made his own changes to canon in order to fit the story he wants to tell, which is fine - I've done similar things myself when GMing - but those changes aren't always clear until we trip over them. For example, he decided that Leia calling Chewie a "walking carpet" is actually some horrible racial slur and therefore his version of Leia is a spoiled, self-absorbed bigot who treats everyone around her like shit, especially non-humans. Speaking as someone who's had a crush on Leia Organia since I was 11, I didn't actually enjoy that episode much. :no:

So the original trilogy is Star Wars 616? Is that what you're saying? :D

Now that I think about, multiple parallel universe Star Wars might well be really nifty to tinker with.

Back in the day when the internet was new (& slow). That was the impression of what people did in their Star Wars games. It was (to me) Anything that was Sci-fi could be found in Star Wars.

I have to admit, if it were up to me the whole lightsaber creation mythos, I'd dump, especially considering non-Force using Greivous slinging those things around like a maniac, (possibly explained by cyborg programming I suppose, but still reaching)

There is a serious backstory on Grevious.......Apaarently he was infused with the blood of a jedi and trained by Dooku....

I still hold that a normal person holding a weapon equivalent to a light sabre is going to have a short life span, even in a universe without blasters, but especially in a universe with them.

Swords with just two edges can be hazardous to their users in training alone. Light sabres are a whole different animal.

That said, the creation story for light sabres is a bit odd, I agree. I also find it odd that the force is non-materialistic("judge me by my size, do you?") and yet is stronger in certain genetic lines who, themselves, seem to have terrible personality problems.

Also, the only time I will use the term younglings is in my "Darth Vader for President- No Youngling Left Behind" campaign buttons.

There is a serious backstory on Grevious.......Apaarently he was infused with the blood of a jedi and trained by Dooku....

:rofl: ......oh wait, serious?  :no:

Then, again I didn't like them bringing back Darth Maul, and stealing *Ginkotsu's legs to put on him.  They wasted the character, sure.  But, you kill him off, you kill him off, to late to rectify that.

I could buy (actually I do) that Dooku gave him some training in lightsaber usage. But, the whole blood thing, meh.  Otherwise, you have to keep Force users from donating to the bloodbank, or half the galaxy will be Force sensitive.

*Character from Inuyasha

:rofl: ......oh wait, serious? :no:

Then, again I didn't like them bringing back Darth Maul, and stealing *Ginkotsu's legs to put on him. They wasted the character, sure. But, you kill him off, you kill him off, to late to rectify that.

I could buy (actually I do) that Dooku gave him some training in lightsaber usage. But, the whole blood thing, meh. Otherwise, you have to keep Force users from donating to the bloodbank, or half the galaxy will be Force sensitive.

*Character from Inuyasha

Well if you notice, Grievous didnt have any force powers. Just enough sensitivity to be able to use multiple lightsabers very well. I would imagine some kind of programming in addition to the cybernetics allowed this feat in addition to Dooku's training.

Well if you notice, Grievous didnt have any force powers. Just enough sensitivity to be able to use multiple lightsabers very well. I would imagine some kind of programming in addition to the cybernetics allowed this feat in addition to Dooku's training.

Yeah, training/programming (but not force powers) would make more sense.  To do Force sensitivity right, it should be either you got it, or you don't.  If a blood transfusion can give you Force powers, then like I said, everyone who wants to have Force-sensitivity will go to the nearest galactic blood bank.  (well more complicated than that, you still have to find the Force-sensitive donor,  but it still leaves a door open in the storyline that should be padlocked.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, training/programming (but not force powers) would make more sense. To do Force sensitivity right, it should be either you got it, or you don't. If a blood transfusion can give you Force powers, then like I said, everyone who wants to have Force-sensitivity will go to the nearest galactic blood bank. (well more complicated than that, you still have to find the Force-sensitive donor, but it still leaves a door open in the storyline that should be padlocked.

I would assume here, if the midichlorians were a cellular/physical manifestation of the energetic/metaphysical Force Consciousness, then The Force, THROUGH the midichlorians choose the individual consciousness to bond with and grant Force sensitivity. The Force, being an omnipotent intelligence, would know the transfusion had taken place and the bond between midichlorians and host would be invalid.

In fact what I would do is have those specific Midi still be in telepathic contact with the original host and thus the original Force Sensitive person could now use The Force through the new host (the recipient of the transfusion) and would be in constant mental contact (mind link) with that individual, but the recipient of the transfusion would have no control over The Force emmanations of those foreign midichlorians.

Somewhere I saw someone put out the theory that the prequel trilogy was actually imperial propaganda. The child stealing jedi begin by using muscle to end a trade dispute, and end by trying to take over the senate. They take in a child whose mother is a slave and do nothing to help her, and she is subsequently raped and killed. The senate itself is shown to be useless and in need of replacement by a central force, which the jedi think they are. In fact, the leader of the senate ends up being chosen by someone standing in for an actual senator, someone whose entire political career is owed them by nepotism, Jarjar "unqualified for every job he has" Binks.