Star wars hero

BBstacker

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought of it as C3PO telling the story to baby Ewoks. The basic historical facts are there, but 3PO's memory has been wiped so many times he's a little fuzzy on how they all fit together and he's framing it as a kid's story. But I like the Imperial Propaganda idea better.

That's one of the problems I'm having with the Edge of Empire game we're playing; the GM has elected to include all of the prequels in canon as written. Which means the Jedi were a big bunch of dicks, and incredibly stupid to boot. Which kindof undermines the theme of the original trilogy IMO.

I always thought of it as C3PO telling the story to baby Ewoks. The basic historical facts are there, but 3PO's memory has been wiped so many times he's a little fuzzy on how they all fit together and he's framing it as a kid's story. But I like the Imperial Propaganda idea better.

That's one of the problems I'm having with the Edge of Empire game we're playing; the GM has elected to include all of the prequels in canon as written. Which means the Jedi were a big bunch of dicks, and incredibly stupid to boot. Which kindof undermines the theme of the original trilogy IMO.

I tend to think of them less as stupid and more as arrogant beyond the point of reason.

And I tend to credit Palpatines success not to Jedi stupidity, but to the intricacy of the Sith program to infiltrate the Republic. Generations long laid plans coming to fruition in the time of Palpatine. The Sith having developed their skills of obfuscation and misdirection to the fullest, that even the most perceptive of Jedi Masters wouldnt see them coming.

I would tier them. The story basis could be, well, they're clones. While the first few generations were supermen, subsequent generations become increasingly distorted. Stormtrooper quality assurance, however, screens the very best samples for elite units. This would keep the existence of flopsy stormtroopers, in keeping with the original movies, while allowing for some quality heavies.

People forget that the Clone Wars Troopers aged at double the rate of a base line human. So by the time of a new hope all of the Jango Clones would be long dead (ex for Boba who didn't have the aging issues because he was a custom job). Stormtroopers as seen in A New Hope are plain humans. No clones left.

My own personal head-canon for the prequels is that some kinda like it happened, but much cooler and better told.

• 4 weeks later...

Stormtroopers got a bad rap, and I'm not sure from where.  In every engagement where we see Rebel troops vs. Stormtroopers, they give as good as they get.  If players are expecting them to be pushovers because of the "Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy" joke, they're going to be in trouble.  (Warning: TV Tropes link. Use caution.)  Remember, Luke and Leia, and Han and Chewie, all ran from Stormtroopers.  

Stormtroopers are no less competent than VIPER agents.  In fact, you could do worse than to scrub off the snake theme and use VIPER agent writeups for Stormtroopers.

After watching Rogue One, I am in complete agreement. The elite guard Stormtroopers were downright terrifying. Plus, Rogue One demonstrated that superior numbers and tactics are just as more important than individual achievement on the battlefield. Amazing movie, especially if you want to see what a Star Wars battlefield would look like without the presence of Jedi flitting around.

After watching Rogue One, Im definately convinced that the standard stormtrooper's armor is weak. And yes there are different grade of.Stormtrooper.

I am convinced that the standard stormtrooper armor was designed to be visually intimidating and provide some protection against the Star Wars equivalent of "Saturday Night Specials."  Against more mil-spec weaponry, it folds like an aluminum can. Then again, the Empire seems to stupidly follow the "swarm of ants" military philosophy; throw as many troops, TIE fighters, etc. at the enemy as possible and bank on sheer numbers. The life of an individual trooper is not very valuable. Heck, all of their training goes into their vaunted marksmanship but fails in the essential skill of Duck 'n' Cover.

I think that storm troopers were originally meant to be an elite with superior armor and skills, but when the empire decided it needed them in numbers, they realised they could not afford the quality equipment and training required. So they opted for weary basic trading an slipshod equipment designed to look like the quality stuff, and then mainly live off the reputation.

I think that storm troopers were originally meant to be an elite with superior armor and skills, but when the empire decided it needed them in numbers, they realised they could not afford the quality equipment and training required. So they opted for weary basic trading an slipshod equipment designed to look like the quality stuff, and then mainly live off the reputation.

I agree with this too. It is a BIG galaxy. For my WEG game, Im going to reduce their armor (& also increase STR a little too).

Plus I want to add that in the 20+ plus years since ANH, Stormtroopers became to be seen as the red shirts of Star Wars and its derivitive games.

I believe the current explanation is, the clones were elite, but they were later decimated by biological warfare that targetted only them, I'm not sure if anyone's named the virus, perhaps a form of dysentary called the Django Shuffle, but anyway, they had to be replaced by mass numbers who were not so elite.

And then, the First Order, being smaller in size than the Empire, went with high tech and elite, but smaller numbers and more Hitler speeches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...