Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TransmissionsFromTheEnd

"About Hero Games"

So, this page seems like it's going on a decade out of date, and doesn't actually list who any of the owners of DOJ Inc. are.

Any chance of an update being added to the docket? I will admit to being slightly frustrated personally that the second Q doesn't have a real A. I happen to know that DOJ Inc. is owned by Jason Walters* and n other people named xyz, where n could be literally any number including zero, and xyz could be literally anyone up to and including Batjew, Foxbat, Teleios and/or Takofanes. It seems to be excessively mysterious, even for men of mystery like the "Defenders of Justice".

Thanks,
- Devon

* I wanted to edit to add that I don't know for sure that Jason S. Walters is one of the owners of DOJ Inc. That was just the case the last time I spoke to him about it.

It tells you that "DOJ is a privately-held corporation with several owners." That's what DOJ is. I believe Jason and Steve Long are both shareholders, but either or both could have sold their interests (not sure why they would still put in so much time and effort if they did, though). They were free to tell us that, or not tell us. Ditto if they sold. So are the other owners.

What business is it of yours who those owners are? Do you go to a local restaurant and demand a shareholder's registry disclosing all owners of the corporation owning and operating the restaurant? Do you refuse to shop at national, publicly traded, retail chains because someone you don't like might hold shares? Maybe you refuse to post on Facebook (publicly traded)? Who owns the company that made the electronics you post to this website on, the one providing the electricity you use to run it and the one providing the internet service you need to access it?

And for sure, don't KickStart your project - their website indicates "We're an independent, founder-controlled company of 115 people working together in an old pencil factory in New York City." How could I pledge on a website without knowing the names of all the owners? I must be a horrible person*!

* A case could be made that I am a horrible person. Probably a pretty strong case. It would, however, have nothing to do with me pledging on Kickstarter without knowing who owns it, or owned it at the time.

* A case could be made that I am a horrible person. Probably a pretty strong case.

I'm not going to go that far-- mostly because I don't think you're a horrible person. ;)

But to address the whatever the proper name is for carrying a single assumption in a wrong direction and then compounding that to the pointlessly ridiculous that seems to the internet's favorite (and most ridiculous) way of discussing things,

I would like to offer this:

Can you not, under any circumstance whatsoever, think of any single reason that someone might wish to know who owned something? Is there, in your own opinion, absolutely no valid reason to desire this knowledge?

I'm not sure "who owns it" is as important as "who manages it" as far as dealings with the business go. Directors of corporations can typically be accessed through the public record, where shareholders typically cannot.

I can think of reasons someone might want to review my, or someone else's, income tax return. Some may be valid, others not valid, and still others may be nefarious. This does not lead me to believe these should be made documents of public record, nor that there is any onus on the shareholders of DoJ to make their names a matter of public record.

Let's say all the shareholders were listed. Should I then have the right to demand they provide me with the percentages each shareholder owns? Of course, we'd have to trace ownership through any intermediary vehicles (e.g. a partnership, holding corporation or Trust) to the ultimate owners. Would that be enough, or should each shareholder also disclose the terms of his or her Will so I can determine who might inherit the shares?

My "right to know", at some point, is countered by another's "right to privacy". I do not need to know the names of each shareholder (or partner, manager, director or employee, really) of an organization in order to conduct business with that organization. The suggestion that the "About Hero Games" page is clearly and obviously inappropriate as it does not list the owners is, in my view, clearly and obviously inappropriate it its own right. Do you need a list of the Hasbro shareholders to decide whether to buy or play D&D? I doubt publishers of third party content base their business decisions on the shareholder list either.

IIRC, Jason Walters has said he is the "public face" of the shareholder group. He chose to state his ownership. I am pretty sure Steve Long has indicated in the past that he also holds an interest in DoJ. If they choose to share that information, fine. If they choose not to, or not to tell me if they increase, decrease or divest of their holdings, also fine. Their ownership in DoJ is no more "my business" than the balance in their, or DoJ's, bank accounts.

Here's a hypothetical:

Suppose I wanted to buy HERO games. (It's not terribly far-fetched. It was doing research for that very thing some years ago that led to the discovery that I was eight months late and the rights belonged to DOJ. Well, that's not quite right. I had been led to believe that they belonged whole-cloth to Steve Long; it was a couple of months of digging after that when I found out they belonged to DOJ. But hey-- I knew Steve from his reputation in gaming, and new we'd be getting all kind of stuff cranked out for our favorite game, and it's all beeb cool ever since. :D ). I would have to know who to buy it _from_, and the only way to find that out would be to ask questions like the ones TFE is posting.

We can argue all day about whether or not he has the right to know, but in the end, it's just going to make him stop asking _us_. If he still needs this information, he'll keep looking for it.

So, this page seems like it's going on a decade out of date, and doesn't actually list who any of the owners of DOJ Inc. are.

Any chance of an update being added to the docket? I will admit to being slightly frustrated personally that the second Q doesn't have a real A. I happen to know that DOJ Inc. is owned by Jason Walters* and n other people named xyz, where n could be literally any number including zero, and xyz could be literally anyone up to and including Batjew, Foxbat, Teleios and/or Takofanes. It seems to be excessively mysterious, even for men of mystery like the "Defenders of Justice".

Thanks,

- Devon

* I wanted to edit to add that I don't know for sure that Jason S. Walters is one of the owners of DOJ Inc. That was just the case the last time I spoke to him about it.

As far as I can tell, the information on that page is still completely accurate. So, it is not out of date. It's probably not terribly useful, but I didn't see anything there that I know to be incorrect. In any event, Jason Walters is still the public face of Hero Games/DOJ and the person you want to contact if you have business with the company. Try the Contact Us page or search for one of his posts and send him a PM -- however, I'm not sure how long it will take him to get back to you.

They're incorporated in California. You can see the information California provides for free from the Secretary of State web site (http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/). Since the company isn't publicly traded, I don't know what additional information you may be able to request.

It would be far easier to just use the Contact Us option at the top of the site. I have no reason to believe that the unnamed individuals will want to be named, but you can ask.