Aid an power with explosion

Styrud

Question

1 answer to this question

I don’t currently have access to all of my books and materials, which have been packed up as part of my home renovation project, so I reserve the right to edit or change this answer at a future time. ;)

If a character Aids a power bought with Area Of Effect (Explosion), determine the effects as follows:

1. First determine the new Active Points in the power.

2.  Next, recalculate the effect of the base Power using the existing value for the Advantage(s) on the power.

3.  Last, recalculate the Area covered by the Explosion based on the drop-off rate of the un-Aided power. If this makes the Explosion exceed the maximum Area for the value of Advantage the power has, the GM decides whether to let it exceed that Area, or to cut if off at that maximum.

Example:  Let’s suppose a character has a Blast 8d6, Area Of Effect (18m Radius Explosion; +½). That costs 60 Active Points. The Medic uses Aid on this power and adds 20 Active Points’ worth of effect. Allowing for a +½ Advantage, 80 Active Points yields a Blast 10d6. (Well, technically 10½d6, but let’s keep this simple.) To have the same drop-off rate as the un-Aided power, 10d6 would require a 22m Radius Explosion. That is still within the 17-32m Radius provided by the +1 level of Area Of Effect, so the power now has Area Of Effect (22m Radius Explosion).