The Academy Staff

The Arc

So I've gotten around to thinking about the staff for the Academy. For those first tunning in the Academy is all-girl meta-powered school located on the Isle of Wight. There are cliques (ie teams) included in the Academy. There is even a rival (ie really a super-villain school) school known as the Jaeger Institute, but I won't delve into that right now.

Keeping with the all-girl theme, all of the staff will be female supers as well. However, I find a little short on ideas for the staff. I've gone through some of my images and would welcome suggestions on which ones to keep and which ones not to. Also I'm curious is anyone has suggestions for staff members I haven't included. Some of the staff I'm set on and some not so. Lastly I wonder what subjects these particular metas should teach.

So Here's is the images so far. I'll go over a little on each image.

Cavalry-This one is a probable go. She's based on Najenda from the Anime Akame Ga Kill!

Ego-Mentalist, French?

Hyacinth-Energy Blaster, gets her powers from her choker.

Lady Peacock-This one is given, as I've chosen her to be Headmistress. LP is a mentalist (nuff  said).

Lamia-Mystic (Defense Against the Dark Arts?? Takes one to know one?)

Malika Charge-Normal. Malika is a member of the Charge Family, who are a group of super-scientists.

Overload-Energy Blaster ? Cyber-Mentalist ?

Pesilat-Martial Artist

Recall-Mentalist

Targe-Energy Blaster, she can create force fields, walls...

The Impaler-Gadgeteer. The Impaler is another given in that she's a reformed super-villain.

Umbrella-Martial Artist, thinking something like a cross between Emma Peele and Black Widow. Civics teacher? Government Liaison?

Ultra-Mentalist

Ys-Mystic

Zvezda-Mystic, probably another given. Zvezda was PC of mine. Unfortunately she never got far in the PBem she was in due to the game folding quickly. Oh she's a mystic.

post-3504-0-18363300-1475347364_thumb.png

post-3504-0-72289800-1475347372_thumb.png

post-3504-0-95173400-1475347377_thumb.png

post-3504-0-21425800-1475347393_thumb.png

post-3504-0-94604100-1475347400_thumb.png

post-3504-0-29318900-1475347407_thumb.png

post-3504-0-37227800-1475347415_thumb.png

post-3504-0-36228000-1475347422_thumb.png

post-3504-0-42125100-1475347432_thumb.png

post-3504-0-41467700-1475347438_thumb.png

post-3504-0-77051600-1475347444_thumb.png

post-3504-0-21020700-1475347452_thumb.png

post-3504-0-06221700-1475347464_thumb.png

post-3504-0-17042900-1475347471_thumb.png

post-3504-0-25279700-1475347478_thumb.png

Not exactly looking for non-teaching staff at this time. This is really big project so far, and I'm afraid if I go that far I'll have truly lost my mind. So far in just the Academy alone (excluding the cliques) there are 11 complete characters.There are 6 characters just in the general group that are incomplete. So it's a big project. :)

I just want to know what ones of the teaching staff should be written or not, plus if there are some genre/archyte/theme/you name that is lacking???

The Arc...

I know of a few "Superacademy" Webcomics out there:

PS238, wich even has a Champions Suplement:

http://ps238.nodwick.com/comic/12072006/

And Magellan:
http://magellanverse.com/20040307wannabe/

Noticeably, the staff can not be fully active/combat capable supers.

Unless you do considerable automation (not suiteable for teachers), you need a bunch of "normal" staff. Or people with mostly combat-useless powers.

One thing to consider is that you do not want the staff to be too well rounded/capable. If they are, there would be no room left for adventures.

At the very least they should be at some disadvantage for being well known (inlcuding thier weaknesses) and no longer being active heroes. Maybe even some "old stories" like with the space station inside PS238 that may come back up.

Well, I can certainly see why some of the staff would be inactive from 'heroing'.

Cavalry-She's a Gurkha and her loyalty to Lady Peacock would certainly keep her at the Academy.

Malika Charge-Is semi-retired anyways, she would probably relish the chance to not go globetrotting.

The Impaler-She's a reformed super-villainess.

Zvezda-Is an unemployed mystic. She's tired of living in her car.

As for the others, I'm not sure...

I guess Ys could teach history...Or Ego could teach French.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've moved onto working on Umbrella.

Umbrella is like Black Widow/Emma Peel with an umbrella. Any ideas for weapons that could be in the umbrella?

Obvious case would be a hidden Rifle. A similar old trick is to have a hidden sword in the hilt (like you would with a walking stick).

And of course everything the Penguin ever had (mostly rifles/automatics, gas guns and helicopter blades).

In Kingsman they had a Umbrella that was bulletproof, a weapon and could become partially transparent for the user/project stuff for the user to aid aiming (last part might have been a function of the glasses, however).

In the game MDK 1+2 the protagonist (Kurt Hectic) has a suit with a "Gravity Parachute". Basically it is Gliding. Except the surface is not closed but just a few ribbons. So while there is never enough surface area for actually gliding per laws of physics, the mad-science works out. So Umbrella could totally fly.

Another way to look at the Umbrella is at both sides as giant "emitters" of some kind. Sonic waves, light, forcefield or healing field (projeted downward), a force wall (projected like a Star Trek Shield emitter from the off end).

Obvious case would be a hidden Rifle. A similar old trick is to have a hidden sword in the hilt (like you would with a walking stick).

And of course everything the Penguin ever had (mostly rifles/automatics, gas guns and helicopter blades).

In Kingsman they had a Umbrella that was bulletproof, a weapon and could become partially transparent for the user/project stuff for the user to aid aiming (last part might have been a function of the glasses, however).

In the game MDK 1+2 the protagonist (Kurt Hectic) has a suit with a "Gravity Parachute". Basically it is Gliding. Except the surface is not closed but just a few ribbons. So while there is never enough surface area for actually gliding per laws of physics, the mad-science works out. So Umbrella could totally fly.

Another way to look at the Umbrella is at both sides as giant "emitters" of some kind. Sonic waves, light, forcefield or healing field (projeted downward), a force wall (projected like a Star Trek Shield emitter from the off end).

Great, now I really want to see that movie. Too bad it isn't on Netflix...

So Umbrella is basically a trick martial artist. So I definately want her to have Fencing skills, but I also think she would do a lot of kicking. So I was thinking about giving her Thai Kick-Boxing, but then I got thinking maybe she should do Capoeira instead. So which would be a good 2nd martial art for Umbrella when she's unarmed?

Or you could go with bartitsu/baritsu as miss named by Arthur China Doyle for the fight at reichenBach falls

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu

A Victorian era martial art combining jujitsu with western martial arts including savate.

Or you could go with Suffrajitsu a similar combination of styles used by a secret Amazon squad who defended suffragette meetings http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/suffrajitsu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I've moved onto working on Umbrella.

Umbrella is like Black Widow/Emma Peel with an umbrella. Any ideas for weapons that could be in the umbrella?

The side of the umbrella is like a steel bar. The tip is as sharp as a spear.

I created a villain named Dark Damsel who wields a weapon umbrella. Her umbrella is a snipers rifle which shoots both deadly normal bullets and rubber bullets. It also hides a dagger for short range combat.

I suggest the umbrella of Umbrella contains darts of knockout drugs and other things.

Umbrella is an OAF 60 point Multipower, slots to include:

Whump! 12d6 Hand Attack 0 End

Spike Tip 3d6 HtH KA 

Blaster 12 EB 

Lazer 8d6 AP EB 

Kinetic Blast 3d6 RKA 

Electrolazer NND EB 

Gas Attack AOE NND 

Grapnel Swinging

Helicopter Blades Flying/Gliding 

I must be slipping, because I can usually figure out how to fit in a Flash, AOE Flash, Entangle, and AOE Entangle.