Goofy characters

GCMorris

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once made a Brickette - Landslide - that was unintentionally goofy.

See, she had permanent density increase, without Flight. So she put strain on every ground she fought on, every car she drove with.

At some point I realised, she could not save a kiten from a tree without breaking the tree doing so, because she was plain to heavy.

The special effect was being fused with a extradimensional, silicon based critter wich had all kinds of wierd side effects:

She lost a large part of her powers in Cold temperatures (talk about women freezing easily)

Her tastebuds have been rewired, meaning she had to use Sand's as Spice. Also alcholo tasted terrible now. In turn she could consume some usually indegestible stuff like drinking iradiated water - and the stuff might even taste delicious!

And worst for her lovelife - she likes to be "on top". Wich somewhat limits the selection of Partners at 400 Kg.

Granted the weight would have been enough to hold down some badguys just by sitting on them.

And her catchall phrase for breaking through the ground or someone mentioning her weight would have been "I have heavy DNA!*"

*Wich is true with her half Silicon/half carbon DNA.

This is probably goofy by anyone's standards:

Can Opener.

The Defense Department contract specified the development and delivery of a prototype improved Combat Can Opener. With cost overruns, a billion dollars had been spent before the first prototype was even delivered. That's when the GAO and some members of Congress got wind of the project and cancelled it before it could waste any more of taxpayer's money.

Professor Wreckloose was furious. Not just because his funds were cut off just as he was, in fact, ready to unveil his prototype, but at the implication that it wasn't worth every penny that had been spent creating it.

For what Wreckloose had invented was a nigh- indesctructible, independently mobile, and artificially intelligent device that could open cans - or anything else, up to tanks and bank vaults. And without damaging the contents. And also:

Contained storage space that could be utilized as a refrigerator and/or freezer, OR as a conventional or microwave oven

Had built in sensors that would determine how wholesome food was, or if it had been contaminated by any variety of toxin, radioactivity, or pathogen

Had the sensors and programming to forage for food anywhere on Earth

Was programmed to be both nutritionist and cook, and could concoct a nutritious and appealing meal from whatever ingredients were to hand - even MREs!

With the contract cancelled, the mad (but honest) scientist was left in possession of the prototype. After some final programming, he loosed it on the world.

Can Opener came into the world with, among other things, a compulsion to prove to everyone (especially the American taxpayer) that it really is worth a billion dollars. Its logic circuits considered the question of how best to generate positive publicity, and observed: These people in colorful costumes who run around fighting crime get a LOT of media attention. I'll hang around with them and prove how useful I can be!

Identifying quote (after peeling the armor off a villain in powered armor)

"Container OP-en! Contents SPOILED!"

Lucius Alexander

Is the palindromedary goofy?

I built some extremely silly characters back in the Champions 1/2e 80's.

Macho Man - I can't even remember what powers he had other than a 60 PRE.

The Flying Scottsman - a Green Arrow-like weapon master who used various Golf Clubs to great effect.

Spider-Dude - I actually played this character in a Amalgam Teen Titans campaign. Had the STR, DEX and Danger Sense but no Web Shooters (was banking XP to buy later).

:)

HM

The Murderous Man-Bear. A rich, obnoxious businessman and hunter, he was attacked and bitten by a radioactive Kodiak Bear (Soviet spy satellite full of radioactive material for its power source crashed nearby). He acquired--surprise!--the size, strength, keen senses, claws and overall ferocity of a Kodiak Bear. Except he lost a leg (Kodiak Bear bites being considerably more damaging than spider bites), so he has a peg leg with a booster for Super-Leaps! Naturally, he became a supervillain.

Hindenbeggar. A bum who discovered he could generate and control flames when he was set on fire by a bunch of thuggish frat-boys. He was surprised. And so were they--briefly.

Flash-Mob. A guy whose only superpower is the ability to instantly generate about three dozen "duplicates", each with a different appearance (sex, race, etc). No special powers, but he has acquired a *lot* of skills.

Kid Kaiju. He can transform into any giant Japanese monster-style form he can imagine, but never larger than about 6'6" and 300 #. Nonetheless, he is horrifically tough and strong and destructive.

I created a backup campaign about the heroes of UNICoRN -- United Nations International Criminology Resource Network -- that was made for goofy characters. Unlike the Champions Universe, in my setting of the time the UN had to settle for also-ran heroes (and a few compassionate regulars) who were willing to work for no money, supplying superhero services for countries with no heroes of their own. We had PCs such as American Ninja (red, white and blue night-suit, anyone? Fifty throwing stars for each of the states, with holdouts representing Puerto Rico and Guam?), Insectomorph (who activated the powers of various insects by eating the appropriate bugs), Hermes (speedster hero of World War Two... now very old), the Mad Piper of Inverness (nonic gadgeteer with bagpipes), and others.

Villains were similarly deranged, such as the Candyman, the Living Germ, and the agents of CRAB, world's most inept international quasi-fascist criminal syndicate, horrific in their costumes of burnt orange and teal.

Dean Shomshak

I had a lot of fun playing a character called Zoo Boy, a sidekick from WW2 that could turn into any American animal.  In truth he could turn into any animal, but his psych complications made him only choose American ones.  He got pulled into the future by a temporal storm and was really out of place in modern America.

I had an idea for a goofy character but I have no clue as to how I can implement it. You ever been having a group discussion at work and this one person comes in and enters the conversation....and everybody disperses, ending the conversation? Yeah, that guy. He shows up during a fight between the good guys and bad guys and everybody stops fighting and just leaves.

Probably too many to count.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks I should assemble some and have a poll to see which people consider goofiest.

I like to count Your Brickhouse creation as goofy, providing I played her all bimboish.. Was fun ! ^^

Blondish goofy Opale

I had an idea for a goofy character but I have no clue as to how I can implement it. You ever been having a group discussion at work and this one person comes in and enters the conversation....and everybody disperses, ending the conversation? Yeah, that guy. He shows up during a fight between the good guys and bad guys and everybody stops fighting and just leaves.

Lots of Mind Control. LOTS. Set Effect (Leave the area), 0 END, Persistent, Always On, AoE Radius

My own "goofy" character was actually played straight. He was a Feline (Fantasy Hero 3rd Edition) with Eidetic Memory and OCD. When asked where he had been or anything that could get him going, I would take a deep breath and then quickly recite his recent adventures down to the little details like rabbits hopping through the tall grass to the wind shaking the limbs on the tree he was sleeping in to how pretty the sunrise was to the exact steps he took to go to the stream to get water to.....

Even "quickly" took a while due to the amount of detail that I would go into. I remember the other players getting that horrified look about 1/4 of the way through the telling. The best part was when a latecomer asked again. About the time I took my deep breath, the other players screamed "NO" and threatened to beat up my poor little kitty cat. The party learned very quickly to ask very directed and focused questions. 

It was exhausting playing that character. :)

I like to count Your Brickhouse creation as goofy, providing I played her all bimboish.. Was fun ! ^^

Blondish goofy Opale

I have created a number of characters based on songs, most of which have featured in the thread (in the Dark Champions forum of all places.....) for "music inspired characters." Some of them could certainly be considered goofy. I try to use almost an entire song, associated each line with something on the character sheet.

Brickhouse was of course based on the song "Brick House" which has wonderful lines like "Shake it down, shake it down now" which I used as the name for a power to grab a building or vehicle and shake it to pieces, and "Sure enough knock a man to his knees" which I used as a name for a Naked Advantage of Double Knockback for STR.

The rest can be found here

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/47826-susanos-song-based-dc-npcs/page-1

How do you define "Goofy?"

The most useless is probably Itsy Bitsy Spider based on the song of that name

The most bizarre is probably Semolina Pilchard, based on the song "I am the Walrus" or whatever the actual title was of that one

My favorite is Everybody, based on the song "Everybody was Kung Fu fighting."

Crossposted from another thread looking for Superheroes of the Super Seventies.

And thanks for the inspiration, Greywind.

Everybody (was Kung Fu Fighting)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

18 DEX 16 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

23 CON 13 14-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

13 EGO 3 12- ECV: 2 - 3

20+5 PRE 10 13- / 14- PRE Attack: 4d6/5d6

7 OCV 20

7 DCV 20

2 OMCV -3

3 DMCV 0

6 SPD 40 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

20 PD 9 Total: 20 PD (9 rPD)

20 ED 9 Total: 20 ED (9 rED)

8 REC 4

20 END 0

11 BODY 1

30 STUN 5

Total Characteristic Cost: 154

Movement: Running: 7m/14m

Leaping: 4m/8m

Swimming: 2m/4m

Cost Powers END

3 It was a little bit frightening: +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Conditional Power Only in combat (-¼), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼)

5 Everybody was KUNG FU fighting: Damage Negation (-3 DCs Physical) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Rare attack (Firearms and weapons with the Real Weapon Limitation, except Martial Arts Weapons; -1), Perceivable (Just looking at him, you know ordinary guns and knives won't work so why bother?; -½), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼), Nonpersistent (-¼) 0

Notes: Don't bring a gun to a kung fu fight!

Kung Fu Fighting!

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 A kickin' from the hip -2 +1 10d6 Strike

4 Chopping them up +0 +2 8d6 Strike

3 Chopping them down +0 +1 6d6 +v/10, Target Falls

4 Started swaying with the hand +2 +2 Block, Abort

3 Now we're into a brand new trip +2 -1 7d6 Strike, Target Falls

5 A sudden motion made me skip -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

73 Billy Chin and little Sammy Wong: Follower

3 Anonymity

Notes: When they hear that "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting" for some reason authorities and villains alike accept that answer and stop looking for someone specific.

12 Positive Reputation: Evildoers fear Everybody; the righteous love Everybody and are eager to help. (A large group) 14-, +4/+4d6

21 Contact: "Everybody" (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (21 Active Points) 11-

Notes: If anything important happens in Funky China Town, Everybody knows it. If there are resources that can be of use to Everybody, then Everybody has access to them. Everybody wants to help Everybody. And vice versa for that matter.

Talents

18 Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

2 Those Kicks Were Fast as Lightning: Lightning Reflexes (+8 DEX to act first with a Small Group of Actions: Kung Fu)

3 In fact it was a little bit frightening: +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

3 They fought with expert timing: Absolute Time Sense

Skills

2 It's an ancient Chinese art: KS: Kung Fu 11-

3 And everybody knew their part: Teamwork 13-

3 Here comes the big boss, let's get it on: Streetwise 13- (14-)

1 Took the bow and made a stand WF: Bows

6 Kung Fu Fighting: +2 with a small group of attacks

3 From a fainting, to a slip: Breakfall 13-

3 Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting: Analyze: Style 12-

10 Expert Timing: Defense Maneuver I-IV

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 206

Total Cost: 360

400+ Matching Complications

325 Base Points

15 Social Complication: Secret ID: Carl Douglas Frequently, Major

0 Distinctive Features: Funky China Man (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Funky China Town)

15 Hunted: Big Boss Very Frequently (As Pow; Limited Geographical Area; Harshly Punish)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Everybody who's Kung Fu Fighting; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

Total Complications Points: 360

Background/History:

There was funky Billie Chin and little Sammy Chong

He said, here comes the big boss, let's get it on

We took the bow and made a stand

Started swaying with the hand

A sudden motion made me skip

Now we're into a brand new trip

Personality/Motivation: Keep on, keep on, keep on, sure enough

Quote: Oh-hoh-hoh-HOah!

Powers/Tactics: Kung Fu Fighting

Campaign Use: The mysterious masked martial artist became known as "Everybody" for responding to villains who demanded "Who ARE you?" by saying "I'm everybody you ever wronged, come to set it right!" His friends Funky Billy Chin and Little Sammy Wong may know his identity, but they would never betray him.

Appearance: A little bit frightening.

Lyrics to the song "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas. Character concept and character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

PPS (Post Palindromedary Stuff): To be clear, the line "There was funky China Men from funky China Town" is part of the original lyrics by Carl Douglas, and these phrases are incorporated into the character because the character is a reflection of the entire song. No disrespect is intended to people of Chinese nationality or descent, to their ancient and honorable culture, or to their impressive traditions of unarmed combat. Besides, anyone who knows me will tell you that I never, ever use the word "funky."

Besides, anyone who knows me will tell you that I never, ever use the word "funky."

It's a wonderful word Lucius, you really should. I haven't gone through that  Song-based NPC list so there might already be a write up, but, Lucius, could I most humbly request that you write up a villain named War (based on the song by Edwin Starr)? I'll even babysit the palindromedary as payment.

One of my favorite goofy characters was The Barrister. The bastard child of a Cloudcuckoolander  and the Genius Ditz

He was a world traveling archaeologist and a deadly swordsman. He spoke plenty of obscure languages and was clearly raised with an aristocratic education. Unfortunately for everyone who dealt with him, he was...confused.

During one of his archaeological adventures his mind was touched by some kind of eldritch abomination. He called himself The Barrister because he had permanently confused legal terminology with archaeological terminology. His "legal partner" was his expertly crafted rapier, and he had enough knowledge skills and a high enough oratory roll to convince most people that the nonsense he was spewing was sound legal advice, and not poor directions to some ruin that he might not have ever visited, but definitely saw in a dream. This is on top of the fact that he was well-versed in law. It was just a crapshoot if his brain understood legal to mean dealing with the law at the time.

His only real powers were teleportation tricks. He could "teleport" all of his equipment back to him, "teleport" small objects (Perfect Pickpocketing) and had 2m of x4 AP teleportation (with NCC) that let him escape any bonds or prison he would inevitably be thrown into for various crimes: B&E, contempt of court, slandering nobles (his knowledge of history, nobility, politics, and his analyze: people's intentions allowed him to quickly sniff out any unsavory plans. He was clearly high bred and had interesting stories, so he could slip into fancy parties without many problems.) public intoxication (Distinctive Features: ALWAYS sounds tipsy), or grand larceny (he could recognize almost any antique cultural relics and would frequently take them back to their rightful owners.)

On top of all of that. He was an expert swordsman, that had extra bonuses when dueling.

So this unknown noble appears at party. Regales the guests with amazing stories about far off places. While there, he's made a habit of pointedly, yet obliviously, commenting on how Baroness Rinewüld's current plans for the recently ceded territory aren't altruistic, but, in fact, are more than likely a staging ground for further expansion, in clear violation of the recently signed treaty. Another guest decides that this insult can't stand and challenges The Barrister to a duel, since this guest is known as the best swordsman in the court. This guest finds out that  The Barrister is incredibly knowledgeable about the ins-and-outs of courtly duel procedures and explains that the the proposed terms of the duel could only be overseen by people of a higher station than any of the guests, and could leave The Barrister guilty of murder should he win the duel. 

The day of the duel The Barrister is seemingly still drunk from the night before, refused to acquire a second, and derides the craftsmanship of provided blades. After winning the duel, The Barrister is detained on trumped up charges and, before his execution simply walks out of his cell (with no recollection of how he managed to escape), no recollection of how he acquired this necklace the Baroness was displaying, and in his place is an undeniably sincere note of thanks to the Baroness (such a lovely party, and the accommodations after the duel were delightful), the dueling noble (a spirited young man who, with practice, could become a decent swordsman), and the expert guards who were assigned to keep watch before the execution (the servants provided were dour, yet committed!) complete with a small sum of gold for the "servants" that was part of the possessions taken from The Barrister upon his arrest.

Now the PCs, who were meant to secure him as a guide and hired to acquire the necklace The Barrister has made off with, have to find the man who's presumably escaped and is in hiding. Luckily he's just one town over. He's found teaching orphans the basics of swordplay and looking over contracts for the local blacksmiths guild.

He was a lot of fun to play. I always talked like Sir Digby Chicken Caesar while I played him. Complete with the needless and baffling formality, and the earnestness that you can hear in the opening voice over.

could I most humbly request that you write up a villain named War (based on the song by Edwin Starr)?

Wouldn't you be wasting Lucius' time? I mean why write him up? He'd be good for absolutely nothing, as I recall.... ;)

An NPC from way, way _way_ back when. Anit-heroes and vigilantes were starting to come into their own, spurred on by the media blitz around Berhard Goetz (or however it was spelled). Suddenly, everyone had one on the newsstands and everyone wanted to play one in the game. Ugh. When it started getting ridiculous (why do we have six men in catsuits and ski masks and red goggles all running around with pistols and wondering why they can't pick up any kind of support or funding?)

I decided to "ease" them out of the whole CPA-with-a-gun thing by out-schticking them.

This city.... this city has been my home since I was a kid. She was my father's home, and my mother's. She gave them a place to live, relatively safely. My father raised a little Hell, and my mother raised me. Then, when the Hell was too much, my mother tried to raise my father and he left her in the streets. Or the Hell; I don't remember. I wasn't very old, so I really couldn't hold my liquor the way the old man could. He told me all about it, though, during our man-up sessions where we'd drink so much he'd have to beat me sober. He told me all about them. The ones who snuck in and stole all the jobs and hoarded up all the gold and the silver and the money. Must have been mostly the silver, though, because we always had enough money for golden grain, so those seemed to be in good supply.

It was on my way home from work one day that I realized two things. One, since I hadn't been to school in a couple of years, I probably failed Social Studies, and two-- the city wasn't safe any more. I mean, it was as safe a place to be as it had ever been: there was always plenty of moms to disappear and plenty of dads to beat you into an early career, so that was good. But the city itself.... she was in danger.

It was based on something my dad had told me before he stopped talking. Well that makes sense, I suppose, but shorty after he stopped talking he stopped moving all together. I tried to call for help, just the way he'd told me I might have to, but I couldn't find the eleven button on the phone, and it seems none of the neighbors had one, either. Come payday, I was going to have to find a really big trash bag to put him in because it was really starting to creep me out, the way he just kept staring off into nowhere like that.

But before he went away, he screamed it: "Damned money-stealing bastards! You don't deserve that money! You don't deserve those jobs! You keep your hands off that silver!" Then he stopped talking. And breathing. That was unsettling.

I kept up the good work, though: I kept working, like he told me to do. But without him to help me drink and get sober, I had a lot of time to think. It's a shame he wasn't here to help me with that, because it's not like I had a lot of practice at it. I saw other people, scattered all along the streets. I'd talk to them, mostly because there weren't any other kids where I worked. They always talked about how they once _had_ the money, then somehow they lost it. They were never sure how they lost it. Then I'd see in the papers how the city was losing this money or that money and nobody really seemed to know why.

And that's when it hit me. The city was in danger. She was quietly under siege (I hoped to myself I'd spell that right if I ever wrote my memoirs)by someone you couldn't see, couldn't, face, and they were legion. They were after the money, the silver, and the jobs.

The city needed me. The people were losing their jobs and their homes and their money and the city couldn't take care of all of them the way it had taken care of me. Not with all these werewolves running around. Something had to be done about that. Someone had to get rid of the werewolves. You know, the city has always been good to me. It might as well be me.

The people, though. They're sad; they're lost inside themselves. They've got no faith, no joy. They need more than just help. They need more than just a man of action. They need a face for their problems. They need a face that cares. They need a face they can trust.

They need the Good Guy.

Essentially a trigger-happy nut job who was one-hundred-percent convinced that werewolves were the source of all the city's problems and he was the only solution. He made an excellent "lead by example" of just what actually happens to guys in ski masks who shoot petty criminals.

It didn't take too many scenarios with him popping up to get the players interesting in honest-to-goodness good guys. :)

post-4180-0-39511600-1476151696_thumb.png

I haven't gone through that  Song-based NPC list so there might already be a write up, but, Lucius, could I most humbly request that you write up a villain named War (based on the song by Edwin Starr)?

I'm pretty sure it's already in there somewhere done by someone else.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the funky goes in the funlock

Lazer Pony is the kind of Hero you do not "want to fight beside" or "want to fight against".

If you beat him, you beat "Lazer Pony" - wich is the combat equivalent of stealing candy from a unborn baby.

If you loose, you just lost against "Lazer Pony"! Now that is a scary thought.

If you are a hero that needed help from (or got it) LP, you are equally hosed.

Transform into being with Negative Reputation (Fought With/against Lazer Pony), AoE, Always On, Only people in the same combat.

Regarding some ideas I had. I am german, so I ended up creating Superheroes based on German Children Songs. This is what I got:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/92014-kinderspiel-an-collection-of-ideas-for-superheroes-based-on-german-childrens-songs/