Goofy characters

GCMorris

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An empath... not bad, given that the rest of the group includes a brick, a blaster and a guy with wings (martial artist).

I had actually thought about something of the sort, but I was reluctant. I might reconsider.

The name still needs work.

Her name is Frenemy.  She has Ego-based powers rooted in her deep-seated jealousy of Star Girl, and she will one day become Star Girl's archvillain nemesis.

Either that, or stick with Besty and make her a classic side-kick, with a ton of skills, gadgets that give her Flash & Entangles, but no actual attack powers.

I've given them stats but not in a system so labour intensive as Hero.  

Inibri 8:  Transform fluids into alchoholic beverages.  Surprisingly dangerous because blood is a fluid.  He can render you mildly tipsy, roaring drunk or dead.  

Miss Murder:  Turns into her body weight in mentally linked crows.

Prickly Pear:  An alien with a fuzzy body shaped like a pear with tentacles,but the "fuzz" consists of lots of tiny little stingers that are super painful.  

Along the same lines Suicide Squid, the hyper-agile brachiating land squid.  

Suicide Squid was the official mascot of rec.arts.comics. I was around when that happened and participated in the thread that created him (1991); still have the t-shirt we commissioned Ty Templeton to draw:

suicidesquid.gif

The rec.arts.comics annual awards got renamed the Squiddys after him. Sadly defunct now, but these days comics get Hugos, so it's not all bad.

A bit of old time internet history for some of you young folks!

An empath... not bad, given that the rest of the group includes a brick, a blaster and a guy with wings (martial artist).

I had actually thought about something of the sort, but I was reluctant. I might reconsider.

The name still needs work.

I kind of have an idea now. Unfortunately I need to let it stew for a while to see if it sticks. Or if I can come up with something better.

Allow me to mention my character some of you may remember, Foxbatmite!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says they were probably trying to forget

I won't let Foxbatmite be forgotten!

Designer's Note Batman is a serious, even grim character. Batmite exists to leaven Batman's world with a little humor and whimsy. Foxbat, by contrast, is a character often played for laughs. Foxbatmite tries to inject a little gravity and sometimes even a sense of responsibility into Foxbat's world.

Foxbatmite, from the twenty fourth and a half dimension.

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

23 DEX 39 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 8

33 INT 23 16- PER Roll 16-

23 EGO 26 14- ECV: 8

6 SPD 27 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

Total Characteristic Cost: 115

Cost Powers END

35 Trasnsimensional Manifestation: Elemental Control, 70-point powers

28 1) Who Watches the Foxbat?: Clairsentience (Sight And Perceive into a related Groups), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 12" per Phase), Transmit, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (70 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

28 2) Who Listens to Foxbat?: Clairsentience (Hearing And Perceive into a related Groups), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 12" per Phase), Transmit, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (70 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

18 3) Where in the world is Foxbat?: Mind Scan 4d6 (Foxbat class of minds), Transdimensional (Single Dimension; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Cumulative (48 points; +3/4), One Way Link (+1) (75 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds Foxbat (-1), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

31 4) Special Delivery: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension), Position Shift, x2 Increased Weight, Usable As Teleport (+1/4), Transdimensional (Single Dimension; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (82 Active Points); 4 clips of 2 Recoverable Charges (-1/2) [2 rc]

49 5) ExtraDimensionalReach: Telekinesis (15 STR), Affects Porous, Fine Manipulation, 1 Recoverable Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 5 Minutes (+0), Indirect ( +1/4), Transdimensional (Single Dimension; +1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2) (96 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4) [1 rc]

40 6) 2X Hardened on up to 60 Active Points of DEF for Manifestation: Naked Modifier: Hardened (x2; +1/2) for up to 60 Active Points, Usable By Other (+1/4), Indirect ( +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Transdimensional (Single Dimension; +1/2) (75 Active Points)

300 Clark's Law - The 24th and a half Dimension is Sufficiently Advanced: Variable Power Pool, 200 base + 100 control cost, (300 Active Points)

54 The Zornwill Effect: Healing BODY 3d6, Resurrection, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 10 km; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (150 Active Points); IAF Zornwill Device Bulky (-1), Resurrection Only (-1/2), Limited Power Must be plausible reason why person is not "really dead" or machine/object/structure not "really totally destroyed." (-1/4)

Notes: This power allows any character or object within 5 km of the Zornwill Device to miraculously escape death or destruction, provided that any of the players can come up with a plausible explanation. The car you thought was totalled? Just a little body work, replace the windows, and it will run again! Things like "Okay, the character's dead, but his identical twin comes to town to avenge him!" are cheap and cliched, so if allowed at all they should probably only be used once (after all, how many twins can one person have?) "I wasn't brain-dead yet, and the paramedics revived me" works too, maybe more than once, but the more often a rationale is used, the less plausible it will sound. The fact that it will not restore the character to "perfect health" is quite deliberate. In many cases, the character WILL be heavily damaged and need time (or help) to heal up; even in cases where the SFX is something like "That was an imposter; I am the REAL Super Tabby!" the time it would take for the BODy to heal represents the time before the player will be permitted to make such a revelation and resume playing the character

45 You will take me seriously now: +45 PRE Notes: Sometimes necessary to get Foxbat to listen

39 Summon Plot Exposition: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing), Tracking, Usable By Other (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (9" Radius; +1) (137 Active Points); Retrocognition Only (-1), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; Only to review and explain the plot up to the present point ; -1), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Visible (-1/4)

50 Foreshadowing: Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing), Tracking, Usable By Other (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (9" Radius; +1) (137 Active Points); Precognition Only (-1), Vague and Unclear, only Foreshadows events (-1/2), Visible (-1/4)

20 Summon Plot Complication: Luck 6d6 (30 Active Points); Side Effects (If Luck Fails, roll 6d6 Unluck; -1/2)

33 Imperial Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship: Change Environment 1" radius, -4 OCV, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Transdimensional (Single Dimension; +1/2) (50 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)

Talents

3 Absolute Time Sense

3 Bump Of Direction

20 Universal Translator 16-

Skills

5 Interdimensional Power Skill: Fast Draw 15-

3 Concealment 16-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Shadowing 16-

3 Sleight Of Hand 14-

3 Lockpicking 14-

3 Mimicry 16-

3 Ventriloquism 16-

3 Disguise 16-

3 Tactics 16-

3 Deduction 16-

3 Analyze: Master Plan 16-

2 Navigation (Dimensional) 16-

3 Acting 9-

3 Conversation 9-

3 Persuasion 9-

3 Oratory 9-

24 +3 with all non-combat Skills

10 +2 with PRE based skills

5 Cramming

5 Cramming

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Foxbat (3 Active Points) 16-

2 2) KS: The Foxbat Dimension (3 Active Points) 16-

2 3) KS: Trickster Mythology and Folklore (3 Active Points) 16-

2 4) KS: Interdimensional Lore (3 Active Points) 16-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 870 Total Cost: 985 200+

Disadvantages Total Disadvantage Points: 985

Background/History: A powerful creature from another plane of existence, the being normally known as Foxbatmite has taken an interest in Foxbat. Most observers are puzzled as to why, but Foxbat himself of course takes it for granted that he is the most fascinating character in the Champions Universe.

Personality/Motivation: Wherever it comes from, Foxbatmite obviously regards Foxbat as supremely important, to the point that it consistently refers to “Foxbat's World” or “The Foxbat Dimension” or “The Foxbat Zone” to differentiate the campaign reality from the “Twenty Fourth and a Half Dimension” that Foxbatmite calls home. It seems to regard itself sometimes as Foxbat's disciple and sometimes as his mentor, and alternates between praising Foxbat's insanity as brilliance and excoriating him as stupid or careless. Although strongly approving of Foxbat's sense of fun, playfulness, and humor, Foxbatmite itself seldom laughs and almost always speaks with great earnestness.

Quote: (About Foxbat): "You mock him, yet the sages of Foxbat's World have said 'If it were not laughed at, it would not be the Way.' He has seen the truth of his world more deeply than anyone - and that knowledge makes him free." (To Foxbat): "Long the way I have come to help you, Fred. I was a Seeker, but I have found you, O Sacred Clown." (About Foxbat, while looking the player characters up and down): “Yes, he thinks he lives in a comic book. Have you looked in a mirror lately and thought about what gives him that impression?”

Powers/Tactics: The “real” Foxbatmite is probably permanently inaccessible. What the characters will encounter will be the physical manifestation of the powers Foxbatmite uses to project its consciousness into a three dimensional reality. This manifestation has 20 DEF that is twice Hardened, a BOD of 6, and OCV and DCV of 8. Whether called magic or technology, Foxbatmite also has access to a bewildering variety of Powers from the 24th and a half dimension, often in the form of devices miraculously produced from the Foxbatmite Utility Belt.

Campaign Use: Deus ex Machina to bail Foxbat out when he's in danger, or perversely derail Foxbat's latest "Master Plan" if Foxbatmite disapproves of the direction it's taking.

Appearance: Yoda in a Foxbat costume. This is not the real being of course, but who can describe something that exists in twenty four and a half dimensions? But the projection of this entity's consciousness into "The Foxbat Dimension" resembles a foxbatmuppet.

Adventure Seeds:

Where in the world is Foxbat? Foxbatmite comes to the characters for help. Foxbat is missing! Normally Foxbatmite can find always find Foxbat, but not now. Has he left the planet? The dimension? Or have sinister forces captured him, forces that can even block the perceptive powers of Foxbatmite?

Foxbat must not fail! Foxbatmite uses the Foreshadowing power to reveal a disastrous potential future to the player characters. This is what awaits the world – unless Foxbat's current Master Plan succeeds. Is Foxbatmite, self confessed student of tricks and tricksters, trying to fool the heroes into not interfering? If the extradimensional imp is to be believed, should the heroes play along – or try to stop Foxbat anyway and then try to overcome the foreseen catastrophes?

Foxbat must be stopped! Foxbatmite confesses to a serious miscalculation. Not only has the 'mite allowed Foxbat to acquire an artifact (“It's hung around his neck, you can't miss it”) that neutralizes Foxbatmite's own Powers (A massive Personal Immunity Naked Advantage, on a Focus, if you want to write it up) but also one that enhances his own abilities over time (“That one looks like a lollipop, if lollipops were made of sunbeams and rainbows.”) Worse yet, the latter is making Foxbat more powerful every day. “That kind of power is not good for him, it will ruin the Master Plan!” Can the heroes stop a Foxbat who is gaining all the powers of twenty four and a half dimensions – before it's too late?

Lucius Alexander

Pandimensional Palindromedary

I kind of have an idea now. Unfortunately I need to let it stew for a while to see if it sticks. Or if I can come up with something better.

Still ruminating...

What I've been considering is Empathy Girl, Empath Girl, or just plain Empath. The first is the one that seems to fit the best.

Other options are Soul Sister or Sister Soul, although this sounds a bit African-American - and she's not American. It doesn't inherently imply this.

The other factor is that she is supposed to be a major character in her own right. Where Wingman is just "the other dude", she is a central part of Star Girl's soap opera. She needs her own personality and not just be an extension of Star Girl.

Her name should reflect that. It still should reflect both her personality and her powers. That part of the joke still applies.

Unless her heroic ID encourages a suitable pun, her civilian name might be Betsy Bechdel, since part of her function is to allow Star Girl to pass the Bechdel test! And that is yet another reason why she needs her own personality.

Soul Sister would be just right if they were Americans. :(

Guessing you're keeping it local (i.e. Oz?)

Maybe Best Mate?

Girl Friend and Best Friend still work for me as general terms, and I've definitely heard them in common use here.

"My Person"/"Her Person" as per Grey's Anatomy gets used by my wife re her best friend.

But... yeah. I can't but feel we're missing one.

her civilian name might be Betsy Bechdel

Then her hero name HAS to be Besty.  And THAT is her super power, AND her catch phrase - "Besty is The BEST!!!"

18 DEX & 18 INT, a TON of skills, decent CV, Martial Arts, a few gadgets (Flash Defense Sight Group, Life Support Extended Breathing, Radio Send & Receive), a multipower with various powers & attacks (Flash, Entangle, NND, APED, AOE EB, AOE Flash, AOE Entangle, AOE NND, Swinging, Gliding, AOE Darkness "Smoke Bomb", that should do it), and finally Four Over All Levels!

In combat the Over All Levels will give her +2 to OCV & +2 to DCV, which will make her REALLY formidable.  I'd say ratchet her DCs down by 2-3 so she doesn't overshadow the other charters, because with Martial Arts and those skill levels she will NEVER get hit.  Also, the FYB powers in the multipower will give her plenty of opportunity to debuff bad guys, but let Star Girl be the one to ACTUALLY finish them off. 

After all, "Star Girl is the Star.  But Besty is the BEST!"

And +4 to any skill roll or Perception check will make her really formidable when she's out of combat.  She'll be the Velma to Star Girl's Daphne.

So I went to the pub. How else do you make these kinds of decision?

It turns out that you don't see Star Girl and her best friend apart from each other.

Apparently, her superhero name is: "Shadow".

You never see Star Girl and Shadow apart. Well, until Star Girl meets Hot Boy...

Incidentally, in my more serious moments, all of these characters have more serious names. These are joke/work-in-progress names.

god, I like to read this silly topic ^^

Makes me smile to start the day.

And I wondered how I could build up a character sheet for a certain palindromedary; not doubt he's a goofy one !

Opale, hard to wake up this morning

Careful, keep encouraging me and I'll dig up more old goofy characters and put them on display here.

Lucius Alexander

I need no encouragement to display a palindromedary in a tagline

Long time ago I had a villain idea called the Bowler who of course could knock you down with his TK bowling balls and his FF looked like a bowling pin. And a gaseous villain named the Green Fog. He knock you out with his green dog attack.

This before or after 1999? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Men

...which reminds me that you don't need to go much past Flaming Carrot Comics for bizarre and goofy characters. Ut!

The mention of Stanley Steamer just reminded me of a character I created waaaay back in the pre-4th edition days.  Dr. Lou Kirby, aka Vacuum.  He basically had a backpack mounted super-vacuum cleaner which he could use to suck things up or blow them away.  Actually saw use in the game.  Ye, gods, was I stupid back then.

(IIRC, there was an NPC back in the 1E / 2E days named Dr. Lirby Koo or something like that.)

There's also one time I ran a player through a solo battle.  He was vacationing in Hawaii with his girlfriend when he saw a bunch of low-powered supervillains blasting holes in the various small ships tied up to the docks.  (I stole the foes directly from Bob Greenwade, so I can't take credit for their excellence.)  They were the Castoffs:  Redball, Captain Shanty,  Mister Midas, Lovebird, Starlet, Professor Makeshift, and Farmgirl.  I think what finally tipped the player off was that Professor Makeshift was firing a coconut-cannon.  After defeating them, the hero awoke to find he had fallen asleep in front of the TV during a Gilligan's Island marathon. 

The mention of Stanley Steamer just reminded me of a character I created waaaay back in the pre-4th edition days.  Dr. Lou Kirby, aka Vacuum.  He basically had a backpack mounted super-vacuum cleaner which he could use to suck things up or blow them away.  Actually saw use in the game.  

One of my players years ago had a PC called Thermo, who could project a heat ray and a freeze ray.  Poor guy; in addition to being stuck with the nickname "Thermos", his arch-villain was decidedly silly:  Captain Coffee, who claimed to have invented the whole backpack-that-shoots-hot-and-cold concept.  First he sued the hero, then in the courtroom strapped on his own backpack (one nozzle steaming coffee, the other iced mocha) and went nuts.

Stanley Steamer, Vacuum, Captain Coffee...we have the makings of The Brotherhood of Evil Appliances...

(IIRC, there was an NPC back in the 1E / 2E days named Dr. Lirby Koo or something like that.)

Yep. The INFAMOUS NEFARIOUS Dr Lirby Koo! He was mentioned in the origins of a some of the early characters, though I don't recall ever seeing a writeup. I've always assumed he was a villain from one of the author campaigns. Although he might have just been an off-panel character used for origin write-ups (I've done that myself).

As of 4e he was still being mentioned - he was involved with Green Dragon's origin - but the CC writeup of GD doesn't mention him at all, so he probably didn't survive the reboot. Green Dragon is a good litmus test, since he's one of the very few sample Champions NPCs to appear in every edition.

I can't speak for 5e or 6e Champions proper, though I think he may be in 6e Enemies Vol.3, which I do have and would have a longer writeup than CC.

Of course, some of the old names were quietly retired because they really belonged to people outside the company and didn't carry forward with the various changes of ownership. Dr Koo could be one of those.

Edit: I checked his entry in Enemies Vol3 and no mention of Dr Koo, as expected. Comparing the 3e/4e Green Dragon backstory, Dr Koo was basically bad company that GD fell in with after his training with the monks. In the 6e version this has been replaced with the Tongs.

Further Edit: He's closely associated with the Geodesics out of Enemies II, and their writeup suggests he was used as an active master villain (until his supposed death following the UNTIL raid on his base). All those characters are Glenn Thain ones, so my guess would be that that's whose campaign Dr Koo originally comes from. Glenn's also responsible for the Project Sunburst cluster and GENOCIDE. The Geodesics are notable for being the only group out of Enemies II not to appear in 4e Classic Enemies (some of the independent villains miss out, though).