Golden Age Champions Discussion Thread

Darren Watts

Did a bit more testing on DriveThru RPG... even internal searchers there don't pick it up well unless you actively type in "Golden Age Champions", since there's no reviews posted at all (Anyone who knows anyone who bought a copy there, PLEASE get them to post something). "Golden Age" brings up the M&M product and a bunch of other stuff. "Champions" lists "Darren Watts' Golden Age Champions" way down the list (possibly because of no reviews, possibly because of alphabet sorting, possibly because the keyword is later in the title than a lot of other HERO products).

If you could get those particular searches to bring up the product higher in the list, it may help a bit, Darren. I don't know if the site owners can adjust things for default searches within a company's products, but it might be worth asking.

• 4 months later...

Just a quick question (and I've been looking forward to this book since the start of 5th Ed, so thank you Mr. Watts). People keep mentioning finding Golden Age Champions on DriveThru. Just where exactly is it on the site? I just looked and all I found was the 4th Ed version.

10 hours ago, FenrisUlf said:

Just a quick question (and I've been looking forward to this book since the start of 5th Ed, so thank you Mr. Watts). People keep mentioning finding Golden Age Champions on DriveThru. Just where exactly is it on the site? I just looked and all I found was the 4th Ed version.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/219925/Darren-Wattss-Golden-Age-Champions

On 10/29/2017 at 12:32 PM, Lord Liaden said:

I'd love to see books for all the Ages, but Golden is barely out of the gate. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. ;)

Silver Age is next chronologically, and also ancient history for younger gamers. Darren has been writing and playtesting Silver Age Champions material for years, so if the prospects for a followup to GAC look promising that's the next thing we'll see. Considering how long Darren worked on GAC, any prospective Bronze Age book is still a long way off.

I would love to see books covering the CU Silver and Bronze Ages. And hmm, what is the 'current' Age the CU/game is supposed to be in?

And another question about the GAC book -- does it mention any of the more unusual and probably didb't happen in real life events of the time? Like the 'Battle of Los Angeles' (a false alarm IRL but blamed on flying saucers by some people), the supposed UFO crash in 1938 Poland, the 'foo fighters', and more than I remember right now?

16 hours ago, FenrisUlf said:

what is the 'current' Age the CU/game is supposed to be in?

By date, we should be in the Iron Age (or whatever comes after that)... however the system was designed around the tropes of the Bronze Age, and it is the so-called "default sort of Champions game" (Champions 40).

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, FenrisUlf said:

I would love to see books covering the CU Silver and Bronze Ages. And hmm, what is the 'current' Age the CU/game is supposed to be in?

And another question about the GAC book -- does it mention any of the more unusual and probably didb't happen in real life events of the time? Like the 'Battle of Los Angeles' (a false alarm IRL but blamed on flying saucers by some people), the supposed UFO crash in 1938 Poland, the 'foo fighters', and more than I remember right now?

Piles of it - in fact, the Battle of Los Angeles gets its own adventure seed (p. 138 - I recommend using the Xenovores.) However, it's highly unlikely there will be any more Age books, alas - it's pretty clear the market just isn't there. dw

2 hours ago, Darren Watts said:

Piles of it - in fact, the Battle of Los Angeles gets its own adventure seed (p. 138 - I recommend using the Xenovores.) However, it's highly unlikely there will be any more Age books, alas - it's pretty clear the market just isn't there. dw

Disappointing, but understandable and not terribly surprising. At least you were able to make GAC a reality.

And that Xenovore reference in the book really tickled me. ?

3 hours ago, Darren Watts said:

Blast. That's a shame, I would have enjoyed reading them.

I think other age books could be done, but they'd have to be done with the understanding that the payback will be small.  It would be a labor of love for a hobby rather than a business decision.

Yes. A pity we have to chose to eat over pure enjoyment. You can't eat joy.

The books I make for fantasy hero I don't look to as an investment.  I like any money I make from them, and as I did all the work I am not out anything in terms of pay, but I never figured to get rich or anything.  If you like the game and you like writing, you write for the game.  Maybe it will take off, maybe not, but doing it for the hobby is a good thing.

The books I make for fantasy hero I don't look to as an investment.  I like any money I make from them, and as I did all the work I am not out anything in terms of pay, but I never figured to get rich or anything.  If you like the game and you like writing, you write for the game.  Maybe it will take off, maybe not, but doing it for the hobby is a good thing.

So true.

But just look at Darren's Golden Age Champions. It's a big book, thoroughly researched, with a host of diverse quality materials. Darren put many years of work into it, on his own time, with the assistance and cooperation of numerous other people. Doing all that again for another comparable book is a lot to ask someone to undertake as a hobby.

4 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

But just look at Darren's Golden Age Champions. It's a big book, thoroughly researched, with a host of diverse quality materials. Darren put many years of work into it, on his own time, with the assistance and cooperation of numerous other people. Doing all that again for another comparable book is a lot to ask someone to undertake as a hobby.

Run a Silver Age campaign for a few years. Keep careful, well written notes. Use official Champions Universe characters. Getting the material together, and even putting together a draft is the easy part.

Turning it into a publishable and economically viable book is the hard part.

Of course, back in the early, more amateurish days of the hobby, nearly anyone could throw together something that would have had people going: "Wow! Cool!" The original 3e version of Golden Age was like that.

Mind you, you can still throw together a "pay what you want" PDF these days. You wouldn't be able to use the official CU though.

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

That's awesome for you. I do this for my living. dw

That's awesome for you. I do this for my living.

Exactly, a lot of people do, and that makes the tough state of role playing gaming as a hobby hard to take.  Especially with Hero Games as such a small market.  If someone is going to go forward with this, it has to be someone who can do it without needing the return on investment of time and energy (and expenses, such as paying artists, etc).  Kickstarters help cover a lot of those costs (all if you can do well like GAC did), thankfully.