Golden Age Champions Discussion Thread

Darren Watts

given the technology of the time wouldn't the armor need constant rechargeing ?

I believe that, while traditional power armor was not known, "robot" heros were known (the original Human Torch comes to mind), and I do believe there is one rideable robot hero (not exactly power armor, as the robot can act on it's own).

Another thing which appeared is the hero who is a living brain in a mechanical body (DC's Roboman 1, later payed homage to with Robotman 2 of the Doom Patrol in the Silver Age).

I believe that, while traditional power armor was not known, "robot" heros were known (the original Human Torch comes to mind), and I do believe there is one rideable robot hero (not exactly power armor, as the robot can act on it's own).

Another thing which appeared is the hero who is a living brain in a mechanical body (DC's Roboman 1, later payed homage to with Robotman 2 of the Doom Patrol in the Silver Age).

Hence the Mechanically-Enhanced Brick in the archetype list. There were several robots (a couple of which were human brains in cans), and at least one notable retcon in Commander Steel (who was basically the Six Million Dollar Man thirty years early, making him at best the Two Or Three Million Dollar Man.)

Darren, you mentioned that of the 19 "American" characters, some originally came from elsewhere but spent most of the war in the US. Are any of the latter from Axis countries? (Would make the nationality perspective look more balanced, y'know?) ;)

Hmm. No, not specifically. I have characters on the Axis side who aren't happy to be there, but I don't have any on the Allied side from historically-accurate nations. (Technically, Mara and Fubar both fill this story role, but they're from made-up places, one actively in the Axis and the other conquered by it.) And Quake is a Nisei, but he's from California. Only so many perspectives you can fit, I suppose - I look forward to seeing other people's characters!

It was me who made the connection. My intention was to argue that the sub-genre breaks down if you attempt to include everything.

"Eastern Martial Arts" as skills? Fine, whatever. "Eastern Martial Arts" as powers? Not in my game, anyway.

Jiu-jitsu was an entirely mainstream choice for Golden Age superheroes, although better for the ones who aren't basically just red-blooded brawlers.

Theodore Roosevelt started an interest in Jiu-Jitsu when he was President.

Nellie Gray, a character in "The Avengers" pulp novels by Kenneth Robeson was a Judo expert.

Theodore Roosevelt started an interest in Jiu-Jitsu when he was President.

Nellie Gray, a character in "The Avengers" pulp novels by Kenneth Robeson was a Judo expert.

Thedoree Roosevelt couldn't practice judo if he wanted to, with his polio weakend body and all (you need to be able to have good legs and moving hips to throw someone, even if your only redirecting there own momentum). Beyond that, why not?

Opps. Franklyn Roosevelt. Wrong president of the United States.

Thedoree Roosevelt couldn't practice judo if he wanted to, with his polio weakend body and all (you need to be able to have good legs and moving hips to throw someone, even if your only redirecting there own momentum). Beyond that, why not?

You're thinking of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Theodore had a very active lifestyle.

Opps. Franklyn Roosevelt. Wrong president of the United States.

And I know of.martial artists that.can.throw you while.being in a wheel chair. I learned to do a back fall from one.

Well, see, it was a war between people who believed in equality for all white guys, and people who believed in equality for only some white guys, so...

YES but this IS a RPG. It's a way for people to live out a fantasy. So if it's really centered about heroic white guys with no others being as heroic. It really kills the feel for me and depresses me. It's the opposite of fun

YES I KNOW that I can run games where the whole team isn't white and a bunch of them are women. The point is having representation IN the supplement.

YES but this IS a RPG. It's a way for people to live out a fantasy. So if it's really centered about heroic white guys with no others being as heroic. It really kills the feel for me and depresses me. It's the opposite of fun

YES I KNOW that I can run games where the whole team isn't white and a bunch of them are women. The point is having representation IN the supplement.

It is hard to find representation within the source material. Your more likely to find female heros (Wonder Woman, Miss Fury, The Invisible Scarlet Onell, Bulletgirl, Hawkgirl, Liberty Bella...) than serious non-white male heros.

As for the writers writing up some for the supplement? That is up to them. But rest assured that they will adresse this problem, one way or another. They ARE going to adress a few paragraphs about racism, sexism, and religious intolagence. Right?

And of course, even if they don't have non-white non-male superheroes, they can't stop you from creating them yourself. Right?

It is hard to find representation within the source material. Your more likely to find female heros (Wonder Woman, Miss Fury, The Invisible Scarlet Onell, Bulletgirl, Hawkgirl, Liberty Bella...) than serious non-white male heros.

As for the writers writing up some for the supplement? That is up to them. But rest assured that they will adresse this problem, one way or another. They ARE going to adress a few paragraphs about racism, sexism, and religious intolagence. Right?

And of course, even if they don't have non-white non-male superheroes, they can't stop you from creating them yourself. Right?

With that you totally missed the point of my post.

Hopefully there are women heroes, because the Golden age had a ton. I also hope there are some Non white American/ally characters. Because representation often equals sales and because I like my non white friends to feel like they are welcomed.

The point is having representation IN the supplement.

I was thinking about this last night in the Australian context.

It really is that depressing.

If you were a non-white person in Australia during the 30s and 40s, it would have made more sense to be a supervillain than a hero.

(Yes, I know that Darren hasn't included any Australian superheroes. I'm OK with that, and prefer to add my own.)

So are the characters all White guys or is there some diversity? We had many different races living in the US and while the Comics only showed white guys, it would make sense for all races in the US to have Hero(ines).

Not at all. These are superhero stories, and so the world is idealized a bit. Lessee- the DOJ is made up of seven white men, one African-American man, one Japanese-American man, one alien male,  two white women and one Atlantean woman. The King's Men is three white men (one gay), a black man and a white woman. The book also features heroes from China (male) and Africa (female.)

Not at all. These are superhero stories, and so the world is idealized a bit. Lessee- the DOJ is made up of seven white men, one African-American man, one Japanese-American man, one alien male, two white women and one Atlantean woman. The King's Men is three white men (one gay), a black man and a white woman. The book also features heroes from China (male) and Africa (female.)

Yes! As I wrote on another thread, being a hero means your going to have your mind open and be more assepted of others than the villains, if only to say that your better than the villains. (A paraphrase, but I'm allowed to paraphrase myself, right?)

Not at all. These are superhero stories, and so the world is idealized a bit. Lessee- the DOJ is made up of seven white men, one African-American man, one Japanese-American man, one alien male,  two white women and one Atlantean woman. The King's Men is three white men (one gay), a black man and a white woman. The book also features heroes from China (male) and Africa (female.)

Thanks, that makes me feel much better. 

BTW I shared your response with friends on the some inclusive RPG boards. Good work deserves recognition and support by customers.

It was just an attempt at a joke. :)  Sorry it didn't come of as clearly as I wanted it to. I should have mentioned the yellow guys, maybe.