Golden Age Champions Discussion Thread

Darren Watts

Mythology, Folklore, and Literature of the UK.

What if?

The Mystic World/Scene of the UK were based on "True" stories.

The Time Lord, the Ultimate Detective, the School of Magic, the Secret Defenders of the Isles, etc...

The Ultimate Detective is already in the Champions Universe's history. As is his nemesis's organization (The Cabel). As for the Time Lord, currently nobody mentions a certian blue box, but prehaps Captain Cronos knows. No known official Hogwarts, but then again Homo Magicalous have always been a secretive sub-branch of humanity.

One thing to remember about The Golden Age of comics. Writers usually did not concern themselves with the science behind the superpowers they give there heros and villains. Sure, Fire-Man can burn hot enough to melt bullets. They did not concern themselves with exactly how hot that is, or burning away all the oxygen in an enclosed area would do. Megaman can lift a three story building. It never falls apart while he is lifting and moveing it. Bullets bounce off the Blue Knight's armor/armour. The bullets don't hit anyone else on the rebound.

One thing to remember about The Golden Age of comics. Writers usually did not concern themselves with the science behind the superpowers they give there heros and villains.

You're not kidding!  In anticipation of Darren's new book, I've been trying to educate myself on Golden Age superheroes. Over the weekend, I read the first issue of Zip Comics that featured Steel Sterling: Man of Steel. His origin story is quickly related: his dad was gunned down by gangsters, so he set about learning chemistry so he could harden his body against bullets. After years of study, he finally douses his body is some chemical mixture, then jumps into a vat of molten steel, and emerges with skin as hard as steel. He still looks normal, but somehow now has metallic properties. You know how he gets around? By rubbing his hair vigorously until he builds up a magnetic charge, then using that to attract himself to the power lines, and thereby zipping along as quickly as electricity!   :jawdrop:

When my wife read that issue, she said, "That's so awesome!!"   :)

Yep, that's comic-book science. As long as it sounds/looks cool and is internally consistent, it works. :sneaky:

Mind you, the level of overall understanding of science is much higher in industrial societies today than it was then, so it's a lot harder to just blather your way through explaining how super powers work. OTOH some breaks of the laws of physics in comic books are so well established after all these years, most folks accept them as conventions of the genre.

• 5 months later...

SEE! The age of comics glory spring to life before your eyes!

THRILL! To adventure in an age of wonders!

TREMBLE! As diabolical madmen unleash fiendish schemes against an unsuspecting society!

STAND IN AWE! At the appearance of 65 of the most exiciting charecters ever to appear!

Coming soon to a website near you. When Darrin finishes it.

All for the amazing low price of a dollar! 

Well o.k. maybe not that last part, but it's still worth every penny.

Its a terrific time period for games, one of my all-time favorites.  Even if you don't use many of the time period's patterns (colorful costumes, innocent view of justice and bad guys, etc) you still have a rich, fascinating historical time period to take advantage of.

Three words for you

Sandman Mystery Theater

• 4 weeks later...

Golden Age Champions is text-complete and turned in, ready for layout! Woot! Just north of 155k words in final form, with a chunk saved over for the Secret Files later (including the Golden Age lineup of the Justice Squadron, who didn't make the cut.) So, that's probably about 240 pages of text, not including the timeline and the weapons/vehicles sheets, probably about 270 all told.

Golden Age Champions is text-complete and turned in, ready for layout! Woot! Just north of 155k words in final form, with a chunk saved over for the Secret Files later (including the Golden Age lineup of the Justice Squadron, who didn't make the cut.) So, that's probably about 240 pages of text, not including the timeline and the weapons/vehicles sheets, probably about 270 all told.

Yay!

Sorry, I don't know if anyone posted this (I'm too lazy to go through 10 pages of posts), but has anyone see this? I've been reading the old "Monster Society of Evil" story line on here. This site would make a good reference point if you wanted to make period appropriate stories.

Sadly they don't have any of the old Timely/Atlas (Golden Age Marvel) or National Periodicals (Golden Age DC) comics. They do have the old Marvel Family comics (Fawcett), Archie/MLJ, and Quality.

• 4 weeks later...

So, an old theory about Amelia Earhardt is being resurrected because of an old picture showing a woman with some guys on a dock.

The theory goes like this: Miss Earhardt landed her plane safely somewhere, after the radio was damaged and she lost contact with the ground, and was grabbed by Japanese (or even: her plane was forced down by Japanese and captured) because they thought she was/she was actually spying on them for the USA.  Held by the Japanese, she died in custody.

I actually ran that exact scenario for my Golden Age Champions campaign, with the PCs hooking up with Chinese heroes to save her because she was a US spy.

Yep, that's comic-book science. As long as it sounds/looks cool and is internally consistent, it works. :sneaky:

Mind you, the level of overall understanding of science is much higher in industrial societies today than it was then, so it's a lot harder to just blather your way through explaining how super powers work. OTOH some breaks of the laws of physics in comic books are so well established after all these years, most folks accept them as conventions of the genre.

Explaining how Golden Age powers work is why Retcon was invented.