Can someone explain the rationale for combat/non-combat speed to me?

TheDarkness

I have to admit, I just don't get it. It seems superfluous.

First, at higher speeds in combat, turn radius will prove a limit on how fast one may choose to go.

Second, it seems to me that velocity based DCV modifiers would also apply to the DCV of anyone you wanted to hit will you were moving very fast in relation to them.

Those two seem to quite on their own relate the limits of higher speeds in combat, thus naturally lowering speeds.

I know I must be missing some rationale, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

I believe the major difference between the two forms is to allow a character the ability to fly or run from one side of the continent to the other in milliseconds, allowing them to get to the scene of the crime as its in progress.  Your at HQ when the Central Bank alarm is tripped and you need to get there in time to stop the crooks from stealing all the Halloween Candy!!  But your 12 m of running won't do it, and taking the Studebaker* is cumbersome...

Combat speed is for when your at the end of the block and you want to save Aunt May from the car that Juggernaut just threw at your partner who merely side stepped it.

* Cool car your gramps used to own...

In respect to long distance travel, it's there to allow for super high speeds out of combat using the 5 point adder. (Megascale is relatively recent,coming in in 5th)

The distinction is there for combat/noncombat because velocity based CV is an optional rule Your combat speed is assumed to be the fastest you can move and have the body control to attack at full OCV.  Any faster and you'd be too concerned with movement to fight effectively.

I believe the major difference between the two forms is to allow a character the ability to fly or run from one side of the continent to the other in milliseconds, allowing them to get to the scene of the crime as its in progress.  Your at HQ when the Central Bank alarm is tripped and you need to get there in time to stop the crooks from stealing all the Halloween Candy!!  But your 12 m of running won't do it, and taking the Studebaker* is cumbersome...

Combat speed is for when your at the end of the block and you want to save Aunt May from the car that Juggernaut just threw at your partner who merely side stepped it.

* Cool car your gramps used to own...

I know what a Studebaker is! Don't anger me, I have powerful legs and forearms from getting up and changing the channel! And my fingers are like steel from using the rotary phone to call long distance!

I think the other replies miss a more fundamental problem: if your speed was, say, 250" of flight (by whatever method), you can both attack from complete safety, and escape to complete safety, at will.

Instead, the game makes combat/tactical movement expensive, and noncombat movement very inexpensive, so your character can cross a continent quickly, but doesn't break combat with hit and run attacks.

I have to admit, I just don't get it. It seems superfluous.

First, at higher speeds in combat, turn radius will prove a limit on how fast one may choose to go.

Second, it seems to me that velocity based DCV modifiers would also apply to the DCV of anyone you wanted to hit will you were moving very fast in relation to them.

Those two seem to quite on their own relate the limits of higher speeds in combat, thus naturally lowering speeds.

I know I must be missing some rationale, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Noncombat Movement is running flat out as fast as you can, without any regard to your ability to aim or avoid attacks (it reduces you to 0 OCV and 1/2 DCV). It is equivalent to the "Run" action in Pathfinder. 

First, certain types of movement (such as normal Running) don't have a Turn Mode, regardless of velocity or realism.

Second, Velocity-Based DCV is an optional rule, and one they didn't even include in CC/FHC.

Noncombat Movement is running flat out as fast as you can, without any regard to your ability to aim or avoid attacks (it reduces you to 0 OCV and 1/2 DCV). It is equivalent to the "Run" action in Pathfinder. 

First, certain types of movement (such as normal Running) don't have a Turn Mode, regardless of velocity or realism.

Second, Velocity-Based DCV is an optional rule, and one they didn't even include in CC/FHC.

Okay, I get it. Although my copy of CC has it, I'm almost certain.

The first part, I find a bit odd. For melee, sure, I get it. But for avoiding gunfire, I find it strange, but I understand that some issues come up when you have both normal running and speedsters.

It is a rule that tries to emulate comics, in that superheroes all seem to arrive at the action simultaneously and relatively quickly, but adjust for games, because you don't want to have a battle board that is 100 yards a side even to scale.

Think past it. 

If you need a rationale, imagine Usain Bolt trying to run 100m whilst dodging bullets, lasers, punches and explosions.  He's not going to be breaking any records that day, but it would make foot races far more interesting.

Speed of Plot: (Total: 18 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) Teleportation 3m, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Usable [As Second Mode Of Movement] (+1/4), Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +1/2), MegaScale (1m = 10,000 km; +2), Variable Advantage (+1 Advantages; +2) (18 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Limited Power Can never arrive sooner than "In the nick of time!" (-1/2), Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary somehow always arrives in time to be in the tagline