The Unofficial Populating The Golden Age Thread

steriaca

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Knights Of Excalibur

A group of British superheroes who became friends and occasionally work together. They became a stable team at the start of world war two.

Members:

The Blue Knight: Archeologist Raymond Renalds finds an odd suite of armour durring a dig. When a diamond was stolen, he put on the armour for the first time, and found that bullets bounced off the armour, run as fast as a car, as strong as twenty men, and can leap long distances. A recent encounter with a witch proved that the armour is not magical in nature.

My main Golden Age food groups are: Wizard, Mystery Man and Super Man.

Mandrake was a very early example of a "Wizard". Zatara appeared in Action Comics #1, at the same time as Superman.

The Phantom was an early "Mystery Man". Strictly speaking, there wasn't one in Action Comics #1, although Slam Bradley would have counted if he had worn a mask. Batman is the one that became most popular.

"Super Man" is obvious. Basically, Superman and all the other true superhumans. This includes people like Namor, the Human Torch, the Flash...

There are borderline cases between all of these categories, naturally.

One thing they all tend to have in common is that they are willing to get stuck in with their fists, regardless of their other powers or equipment. This means it's possible to build a common template - a generic "Golden Age Superhero" - and modify it to model specific characters. I've never bothered to go through the intermediate step of building generic "Wizards" and "Mystery Men", although that should be possible. The "Super Man" category covers a wider range of characters, so such a step might be less useful. Possible, but likely to lead to splitting characters into a whole swag of different archetypes.

Darren has said that he was using Low-Powered Superhero figures. As such, I'd probably use the following as the baseline for characteristics:

Val Char Points

20 STR 10

18 DEX 16

20 CON 10

18 INT 8

13 EGO 3

15 PRE 5

7  OCV 20

7 DCV 20

3 OMCV 0

3 DMCV 0

5 SPD 30

8 PD 6

8 ED 6

10 REC 6

35 END 3

12 BODY 2

30 STUN 5

Total Cost150

I probably wouldn't use those exact figures for any specific character, but they would do as a starting point.

A few years ago over on the DC Animated-style Heromachine thread, I had posted more than a few pics and ideas

for WWII supers (both heroes and villains); I had to go back fairly far in the posts to find those pics/ideas, so here

(at least) are the original ideas:

The Crusaders (hero team): Captain Patriot (team leader, highly-trained 'super normal'), Miss Liberty (teenage

partner of Captain Patriot, highly-trained 'super normal'), Nightrider (slain and subsequently-resurrected Texas

Ranger given mystical powers and weapons), Crimson Fury (young Greek-American woman possessing the

powers of the Furies of ancient Greek legend), Silver Saracen (10th Century Saracen warrior frozen in mystical

suspended animation [through being turned into a bronze statue] and revived in the modern day of the 1940s),

Golden Gryphon (British superheroine wearing a suit of mystical winged armor), Musketeer (French Resistance

fighter who uses a pair of alien 'energy-muskets').

Projekt: Sturmfront (German 'hero' team): Blitzkrieger (team leader, electrical energy-powers), Valkyrie (low-level

telepathic powers), Wolfpack (can create up to five duplicates of himself, as well as being able to survive under-

water), Mist (twin sister of Wolfpack, can transform herself into a gaseous cloud with any chemical composition she

wishes), Iron Eagle* (wears an armored battlesuit with flight capability and offensive weapons), Schatten (Argentinian

fiance of Wolfpack, can create areas of darkness [in which she can see] as well as using shadows to travel from

one location to another), Iron Cross (possesses a body of 'organic metal' which gives him great resistance to harm

as well as superhuman strength) (NOTE: this is another character whose file name differs from what's posted here;

future posts will refer to this character by his proper name [steel Eagle]).

Projekt: Sturmfront is not a Nazi superteam; they work to protect Germany from allied superheroes and are true

German patriots. Without exception, all of them regard the Nazis as murderous scum, but are careful not to give

voice to this belief (especially where a Gestapo agent might hear them).

Other WWII supers (mostly Axis-affiliated):

Iron Knight (Germany): 'Battlesuit trooper'; uses an armored suit which is more powerful than that used by Iron Eagle.

Shieldmaiden (Germany): Female 'super-soldier' who uses a shield in close-quarters combat.

Praetorian (Italy): 'Super-soldier' who wears armor resembling that of a Roman legionnaire, complete with shield.

Shinden (Japan): Possesses electrical energy-powers and the ability to fly; also wears a power-boosting suit.

Tsujikaze (Japan): Female wind-controlling super (imagine a Far East version of Bora, only sane).

Fuji (Japan): 8-foot-tall former sumo wrestler with the power to increase his density.

Shadow Dragon (Japan): Female ninja with the power to create an area of darkness around herself; she can see

in this darkness while others cannot.

Miscellaneous supers:

Red Commisar** (Russia): Vampiric abilities and powers (he keeps the fact that he's a vampire a secret, as well as the

fact that he was part of the old Russian noblity during the reign of the Romanovs; both facts would be enough to see him

killed by the secret police were they to learn of them).

*This character was originally called by a different name; I decided to change it to Iron Eagle, as the name I originally wanted

to use didn't translate very well into German. I also decided to use the English versions of the names of a few of the members

of Sturmfront in this post, rather than their German names.

**In checking my Pictures folder, I found that this character was actually called Red Commisar, so I've gone ahead and made

the necessary correction.

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

Darren has said that he was using Low-Powered Superhero figures. As such, I'd probably use the following as the baseline for characteristics:

I like the numbers..Curious as to where you got those numbers beside the fact that they are low powered.

Val Char Points

20 STR 10

18 DEX 16

20 CON 10

18 INT 8

13 EGO 3

15 PRE 5

7 OCV 20

7 DCV 20

3 OMCV 0

3 DMCV 0

5 SPD 30

8 PD 6

8 ED 6

10 REC 6

35 END 3

12 BODY 2

30 STUN 5

Total Cost150

I probably wouldn't use those exact figures for any specific character, but they would do as a starting point.

Anybody can post. I'm looking for more members for The Knights Of Excalibur (And no, they need not be based on midevil knights or Arthurian legions. I would love for there to be someone related to Robin Hood in the group...)

Longbow (Marian Locksley): A descendant of the legendary Robin Hood, this young woman is a master archer and

skilled acrobat; she has also received training in hand-to-hand combat from her cousin and fellow KoE member

Steel Saxon (a descendant of one of the Merry Men, Will Scarlet, who was also related to Robin Hood). She has

combined all of these into a fighting style which is all her own, and which has made her the scourge of Nazi uber-

menschen and Fifth Columnists alike.

Steel Saxon (William Huntingdon): Wearing a bulletproof suit of medieval-style chainmail and plate armor, and using

a shield which is likewise bulletproof -- not to mention wielding a mace and sword as the situation dictates -- Steel

Saxon uses these and his skill with medieval-style combat to great effect against the Nazis or other Axis foes.

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

Anybody can post. I'm looking for more members for The Knights Of Excalibur (And no, they need not be based on midevil knights or Arthurian legions. I would love for there to be someone related to Robin Hood in the group...)

If you want to make the group British then you should be thinking hard about getting Scottish, Welsh and/or Irish representation or your group is Engish, not British.

For example, Ben Nevis.  A brick with growth named after the highest mountain in the UK.  :-)

Or Draig Coch (welsh for red dragon), a fire throwing energy blaster.

Doc

PS that is pronounced DRY-g Coe-k (the k is more of a throat clearing...  :-)  )

If you want to make the group British then you should be thinking hard about getting Scottish, Welsh and/or Irish representation or your group is Engish, not British.

For example, Ben Nevis. A brick with growth named after the highest mountain in the UK. :-)

Doc

PS that is pronounced DRY-g Coe-k (the k is more of a throat clearing... :-) )

Well , three English, but not an English Only group. Heck, we don't even have a leader of the KoE yet.

Doc

PS that is pronounced DRY-g Coe-k (the k is more of a throat clearing...  :-)  )

I'd probably just call him Red Dragon. :)

Mostly for practical reasons, but also because a British team from the 30s/40s would be less likely to use Welsh than a modern one.

Some heroes and villains. They have write ups in my head, but not, until now, anywhere else.

Heroes

Lee Drake, aka 'The Amazing Drako'. Stage magician with real powers. Eventually enlists and becomes one of the government's 'top men'.

Melissa Mist, aka 'Miss Mystic'. Originally Drako's 'lovely assistant', later dancer and singer. Has similar powers to Drako. Costume: showgirl style, showing lots of leg. Flat heels, domino mask.

(The idea is that Drako started off as the star, but Melissa became more popular and took over the title. In reality, I realized that I found her more interesting.)

Will Watson, aka 'Wonder Boy'. Blatant Superman/Captain Marvel ripoff with a nebulous origin.

Wendy Watson, aka 'Wendy Wonder'. Wonder Boy's sister, with similar powers.

Crimebuster: a scientist framed for sabotage put on a mask in order to clear his name. He now fights against all forms of crime, especially the rackets run by the Wrecker (see below).

Snowy: Crimebuster's sidekick.

Lady Justice: Blinded by criminals. Empowered by the spirit of Justice to bring justice to an unjust world. Enhanced characteristics. Can see in the dark. Might have some kind of smoke (darkness) bombs, and perhaps a sword.

---

Villains

The Wrecker: extortionist, saboteur, black marketeer, profiteer... The embodiment of greed over patriotism. No powers, but skills and gadgets.

Admiral Nemo: descendant of a famous ancestor, and commander of the anti-British Indian National Navy. Operates from a high tech submarine and various island bases.

I like the numbers..Curious as to where you got those numbers beside the fact that they are low powered.

I nearly missed your comment inside where you quoted me!

I've been using variations on those numbers for years, particularly when I was working on Golden Age characters under 5th Edition.

Basically, they were a set that added up to 100 points, and covered most of what a character needed.

This is just an update for 6e, sucking up the extra 50 points given to compensate for the loss of figured characteristics.

Nobody knows the orgin of Black Peter, "The Worlds Most Wicked Rabbit". Thats right. A black furred rabbit. With strong mental powers. Stong telepathic powers, strong telekinesis powers, strong mind with knowledge of at least one hundred men. Deal with it.

Inspired by Mr. Mind.

Now for something extremely Nazi.

Herr Blut (Mister Blood) was once a colleague of Doctor VanHelsing. When the Adolf Hitler himself came to VanHelsing in order to get some samples of vampire tissue in order to experment upon, Abraham refused. But, the man who would become Herr Blut accepted, even providing a vampire's heart and "ichor" (blood). Adolf himself set up a secret lab near the battlefield.

Eventually Allied solders found and raided the lab one night, and Herr Blut was forced to drink the serum he was working on using the ichor. Vampiric strength, agility, and bloodthirst was his, without the limitation of sunlight (othoe it is painful to him to go out in direct sun, it is not fatale). He became the top Axis agent of the supernatural, Herr Blut.

Well, someone needed to make a "Mister Mind". And apes/monkeys have been done to death. But, who would suspect a kawaii little bunny?

Anyone who's ever been in a campaign run by The Bunneh, in all likelihood ( :sneaky: )...remember all of the posts about the

Agency campaign that were posted here on the boards a few years back?

Major Tom 2009 :D