Range of Operation

Cassandra

How much Non-Combat Movement do your characters have?

Do they operate in a single City, or are World spanning heroes?

To they rely on their own or team vehicles, or do they have their own means of long range movement?

I'm trying to design a random hero creation generator and your imput would be helpful.

Our last two Champions campaigns have both up having 1 speedster PC with Megascale Running, everyone else with either normal or maybe x4 NCM...and a Base-based teleport system.

In both cases they started out mostly operating in one city, moving up to regional operations, and finally world-wide once the teleport system got up and running.

The initial TASK FORCE stories (until 1992 in-universe) stayed in the DFW area for the most part.  One of the characters could throw together a decent-ranged megascale teleportation for up to 8 people that pretty much covered that area.  The tech whiz/powered armor guy (who had a 2d6 susceptibility to teleportation defined as "throwing up") would fly to the general vicinity of the target and image it across a mind-link to the teleporter, who would then bring the rest of the team in.  When writing those stories, I made sure the tech whiz got into a situation roughly once every other story where he had to be teleported just for the entertainment value.

On the occasional times they journeyed beyond DFW, they got around that problem by commandeering their sponsor company's corporate jet (aided by the team leader being the company's CEO and the ninja/pilot being the Chairwoman of the Board).  That option went away quickly after the team crashed two jets in an 8-month timespan, though. :)

My current Champions campaign is set in Boston, but one hero (Pops) has Megascale teleportation (I think 1m = 1000km) usable by up to 8 people simultaneously.  He's the team taxi.  (In fact, other heroes and heroines basically expect him to teleport them to other cities at a moment's notice.)

Because of Pops, I've been able to set adventures in South America, Europe, and the South Pacific. 

One other PC has a Megascale teleport, but not on Pops' scale -- 10 km, usable simultaneously with 1 other. 

The team gadgeteer and a mage both have gadget pools, so they can throw together long-distance flight or teleport at a moment's notice.

I am gm-ing a Justice League Campaign with the JL Satellite in Orbit. So they have the teleporter to get them whereever. And they have Zatanna to do the same without tech. I am trying to set half the stories in Star City, Metropolis, and Gotham, 40% all over the world, and 10% on other planets or other dimensions, hells, or planes.

I am gm-ing a Justice League Campaign with the JL Satellite in Orbit. So they have the teleporter to get them whereever. And they have Zatanna to do the same without tech. I am trying to set half the stories in Star City, Metropolis, and Gotham, 40% all over the world, and 10% on other planets or other dimensions, hells, or planes.

Considering the addition of sub-groups like Justice League Dark, and there might even be a need to visit The Green, The Red, The Dreaming (white or black Dream?), The Garden of Destiny, ect...

How nice to meet someone thinking so alike. :yes:

Actually I am combining the concept of the seven colours of the emotional spectrum (Green Lanterns) with the concept of energetic dimensions like The Green, The Red, The Blue and even the concept of the Seven Endless (Ds). There are two more heptalogies in the DC universe I am alluding to - but I will not post them here because at least on of my players might get spoiled. :cool:

@Cassandra: And we are doing time travels, too, this being one of DCs charateristic story telling tools. The power is coming from ZATANNA, but of course only "uncontrolled", that is, only if I prepare a situation where the JL "decides" the only chance is to travel back or forward in time. And they always have to travel to a special magic gate location like Stonehenge, and Indian Cemetary, or a Nazi Bunker to get there. (So for your question this kind of movement might be irrevelant.)

Cassandra, perhaps this is of interest to you:
When I am planning a campaign, I take great efforts to give different Non-Combat Movement exclusively to characters, so the players have their personal scenes and moments of glory.

I give the motor bike to Black Canary. So Arrow does not get a car and has to ride with her (giving us lot of chances for funny inter-couple role play and gender switched gags).
But he can have the Arrowplane (that gag from the 70s was so bad I had to keep it).

Raven and Zatanna both have a magic teleport. So Raven gets the Combat Teleport and Zatanna the Non-Combat Teleport Usable With Others. Zatanna can get the team everywhere (and everywhen) with Extra Time, Incantations, and from the magically right starting point. But only Raven can get the JL into the hellish dimensions where her father resides (and consequentially several main scenes are set).

Atom has a Teleport, only along electric lines, and the terrible power to jump INTO almost anyone below New God physiology. So while Raven might travel into souls and Zatanna into minds, only Atom travels into bodies. (We will have a special adventure where Zatanna expands Atom's SHRINKING to the whole team so they can save Superman from a Kryptonite nano-bot infection.)

And I forced Batman to buy ALL vehicles from the last 75 years: x16 Vehicles (+20), including the Tumbler from the movies, the Whirly-Bat, the Bat-Rocket, the Bat-Hovercraft, the Batsubway Rocket and other weird stuff from the 60s, with a huge discount of "You are crazy-prepared and a rich kid, but you use most of that stuff only once, usually wrecking it dramatically (-2)". :rofl: And all that to cover up that the campaign needs him to have the Batshuttle to let the team reach the satellite when the teleporter is broken oder conquered by aliens. 

So, all in all, larger Non-Combat Movement is more of a group power evenly distributed to single characters using it for the whole team.

How nice to meet someone thinking so alike. :yes:

Actually I am combining the concept of the seven colours of the emotional spectrum (Green Lanterns) with the concept of energetic dimensions like The Green, The Red, The Blue and even the concept of the Seven Endless (Ds). There are two more heptalogies in the DC universe I am alluding to - but I will not post them here because at least on of my players might get spoiled. :cool:

@Cassandra: And we are doing time travels, too, this being one of DCs charateristic story telling tools. The power is coming from ZATANNA, but of course only "uncontrolled", that is, only if I prepare a situation where the JL "decides" the only chance is to travel back or forward in time. And they always have to travel to a special magic gate location like Stonehenge, and Indian Cemetary, or a Nazi Bunker to get there. (So for your question this kind of movement might be irrevelant.)

Reminds me of a cross between D.C.'s Legends of Tomorrow and Quantum Leap.

Cassandra, perhaps this is of interest to you:

When I am planning a campaign, I take great efforts to give different Non-Combat Movement exclusively to characters, so the players have their personal scenes and moments of glory.

I give the motor bike to Black Canary. So Arrow does not get a car and has to ride with her (giving us lot of chances for funny inter-couple role play and gender switched gags).

But he can have the Arrowplane (that gag from the 70s was so bad I had to keep it).

Raven and Zatanna both have a magic teleport. So Raven gets the Combat Teleport and Zatanna the Non-Combat Teleport Usable With Others. Zatanna can get the team everywhere (and everywhen) with Extra Time, Incantations, and from the magically right starting point. But only Raven can get the JL into the hellish dimensions where her father resides (and consequentially several main scenes are set).

Atom has a Teleport, only along electric lines, and the terrible power to jump INTO almost anyone below New God physiology. So while Raven might travel into souls and Zatanna into minds, only Atom travels into bodies. (We will have a special adventure where Zatanna expands Atom's SHRINKING to the whole team so they can save Superman from a Kryptonite nano-bot infection.)

And I forced Batman to buy ALL vehicles from the last 75 years: x16 Vehicles (+20), including the Tumbler from the movies, the Whirly-Bat, the Bat-Rocket, the Bat-Hovercraft, the Batsubway Rocket and other weird stuff from the 60s, with a huge discount of "You are crazy-prepared and a rich kid, but you use most of that stuff only once, usually wrecking it dramatically (-2)". :rofl: And all that to cover up that the campaign needs him to have the Batshuttle to let the team reach the satellite when the teleporter is broken oder conquered by aliens. 

So, all in all, larger Non-Combat Movement is more of a group power evenly distributed to single characters using it for the whole team.

All very interesting.  My Atom build in the 5th Edition 250 Points thread has him using Teleportation Variable Advantage to simulate him using his shrinking to move along electrical impulses as well.

I'm not into vehicles which I find too expensive and tend to unbalance the game.  I instead for characters like Batman put Grown to simulate a vehicles in his Multipower OIF Utility Belt and have Running or Flight to simulate a vehicle's movement.  Flight w/Variable Advantage can give him Supersonic flight allowing him to go on Justice League missions.

For others I've created a Flight Megascale usable by 8 others to simulate a flying vehicle along the lines of a Quinjet or Javelin for transportation purposes only. 

The Abnormals were woefully inadequate in the movement department. I can't tell you how many times they just happen to be dining at Rosie's Diner when the bank across the street was being robbed. I know..lucky, right? I wonder if Rosie's serves shawarma. 

"Shawarma!"

This brings me to the difference between Marvel and DC characters.  Marvel characters are usually limited to 120 mph, 180 mph if they are a speedster.  DC characters can travel at thousands of miles her hour, at least since the Silver Age.   

Question to all:  How do you simulate moving at the speed of light for characters like Flash or Marvel's Captain Marvel II/Pulsar/Photon/Spectrum?

Question to all:  How do you simulate moving at the speed of light for characters like Flash or Marvel's Captain Marvel II/Pulsar/Photon/Spectrum?

Megascale.

Maybe with a similar advantage on the character's sight group, so they can react to things they would otherwise run into.

However, I consider the latter optional, since it involves dependencies between powers that I'm not really keen on. The next thing would be to require characters to have certain defenses in order to use superhuman strength, and so on.

I wouldn't bother modelling relativistic effects and so on unless they were part of the character.

Visually appropriate - see Quicksilver in the most recent X-Men movies - but horrible in game terms.

Also, this doesn't define what actually happens.

A simpler way to mod Jotaru Kujo's time stop ability. But then you have to buy everything with Transdimentinal with it.

Visually appropriate - see Quicksilver in the most recent X-Men movies - but horrible in game terms.

Also, this doesn't define what actually happens.

EB 6d6 [Physical] AE 3'r (+1) Selective Targets (+1/2) No Range (-1/2) Personal Immunity (+1/4)