it is also on netflix

FRUSTRATED ACTION MOVIE HERO

#22 gmrcreedon99

gmrcreedon99

Incompetent Normal

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

I have thought of running a game of steampunk feeling by allowing the characters to use technology above their time as long as it was considered fragile to point of blowing up risk.  The players know they can't have it since if they have it, the bad guys can have a lot more of them.  Use it as an invention that can't be recreated or maintained since the knowledge is lost.  i.e. inventor killed, major part destroyed or fuel  lost.  

If you run it right, WWW is great source material.  I just hated when Will Smith went on Oprah and said nothing like this was ever done before.  The movie was pure steampunk and all the ideas were copies of stuff I had seen before.  I am an old dude, and remember the series on TV and steampunk origins.  (It was the Differential Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, not a fashion movement). 

#23 mrinku

mrinku

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 921 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:58 PM

Difference Engine (1990) was an important book in the popularisation of the genre, but not the start of it by any stretch of the imagination.

GDW published Space:1889 in 1988, and that did a lot to popularise the retro-SF genre among the geek community, or at the very least to get us to look up our old copies of Verne and Wells. That's probably my own tipping point. When I read Difference Engine my main thought was "Huh. Gibson's jumping on this bandwagon, now, eh?"

#24 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,429 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

Grew up watching Wild Wild West. And other shows like The Invaders, The Fugitive, The Saint, Man fron Uncle and so on. There were a lot of great series in the spy or scifi action arena too.

Though Wild Wild West does occupy unique niche.
  • Armory likes this

To Assume, To make an A$$ out of U and Me.

No I didn't deliberately make a moronic statement designed to start a flame war. I'm just BBS Challenged.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne

#25 starblaze

starblaze

Millennial Master

• 1,052 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

Ross Martin did have a heart attack and missed some episodes in the 4th season, but the cancellation was due to the violence. If anyone wants the basic overview, Wikipedia seems to have it covered with nothing glaringly wrong at a glance; no need to search and try tp piece everything together yourself unless you really want to.

Robert Conrad himself said that it was just as well that the show got cancelled because someone was likely to end up dead eventually.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." Marcus Cole, Ranger to Franklin, A Late Delivery from Avalon

#26 SteelCold

SteelCold

Very High Powered Superhero

• 609 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:43 PM

The Adventures of Brisco Country Jr. series was as close to the Wild Wild West feel a couple of decades back.
  • Spence and Burrito Boy like this
"A leap of faith is nothing more than a blind jump of dumb luck."

#27 bubba smith

bubba smith

REDNECK LUCHADORE

• 5,401 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:40 AM

the characters or the cast?

FRUSTRATED ACTION MOVIE HERO

#28 Rune

Rune

Skilled Normal

• 96 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:17 PM

The Wild Wild West's action sequences were particularly well choreographed.  It was such a good series.

#29 Tjack

Tjack

Very Powerful Hero

• 254 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

Robert Conrad was into Martial Arts and liked trying to out macho the stuntmen. He was probably kind of a pain in the a$$ on set but it did make for great fight sequences. (for TV and the era)
He actually busted himself up pretty good doing a chandelier swing from a second floor that was supposed to drop him on a tabletop. His feet slipped from the cowboy boots and he crashed thru the table. He insisted on them using the take. A little crazy but cool.
'cause Justice is the one thing you should always find.

#30 csyphrett

csyphrett

double millenial master

• 7,604 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:38 AM

Robert Conrad was into Martial Arts and liked trying to out macho the stuntmen. He was probably kind of a pain in the a$$ on set but it did make for great fight sequences. (for TV and the era)
He actually busted himself up pretty good doing a chandelier swing from a second floor that was supposed to drop him on a tabletop. His feet slipped from the cowboy boots and he crashed thru the table. He insisted on them using the take. A little crazy but cool.

When the Smith/Kline movie came out, an interview with a stunt coordinator for the show had the fact they blew up Conrad at one point. 

CES

#31 Armory

Armory

• 68 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

Grew up watching Wild Wild West. And other shows like The Invaders, The Fugitive, The Saint, Man fron Uncle and so on. There were a lot of great series in the spy or scifi action arena too.

Though Wild Wild West does occupy unique niche.

Same here.  I was 8 when WWW went off the air.  I think it was syndicated, as I seem to recall watching reruns after school when I was a bit older.  Then again, that was a long time ago, I don't remember.  I loved it like crazy.  Land of the Giants was another one I liked a lot, as well as Man from UNCLE, Mission: Impossible, and a short-lived high-tech spy show called Search, but WWW was the coolest of all.  I didn't know it was on Netflix.  I'm almost afraid to watch it again...but I'm going to.

Also, I know that Ross Martin missed a few episodes to film The Great Race (I should post that in the Lesser-Known Movie Recommendation thread, it's a lot of fun).

• Spence likes this

#32 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,429 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

Same here.  I was 8 when WWW went off the air.  I think it was syndicated, as I seem to recall watching reruns after school when I was a bit older.  Then again, that was a long time ago, I don't remember.  I loved it like crazy.  Land of the Giants was another one I liked a lot, as well as Man from UNCLE, Mission: Impossible, and a short-lived high-tech spy show called Search, but WWW was the coolest of all.  I didn't know it was on Netflix.  I'm almost afraid to watch it again...but I'm going to.

Also, I know that Ross Martin missed a few episodes to film The Great Race (I should post that in the Lesser-Known Movie Recommendation thread, it's a lot of fun).

Land of the Giants!  I had forgotten that one.  And that brings back to mind UFO.

But WWW is on Netflix?  I didn't know.  Time to relive a bit of childhood :thumbup:

No I didn't deliberately make a moronic statement designed to start a flame war. I'm just BBS Challenged.

#33 Armory

Armory

• 68 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

The movie is streaming on Netflix (blech), the TV series is available on DVD only.

#34 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,429 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

much sadness 😭