Bringing total Hero newbies into the Champions Universe

JasonPacker

I'm going to run something using these damned Hero rules I love so much, and while Fantasy is still on the table, as well as Traveller Hero, I'm also considering a supers game set in the Champions universe.

That said, I'm not sure I'd have anything but a riot if I suggested the players read the player section of Champions Universe to get up to speed.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for how to introduce them to the world and how it differs from our own, easily or on the installment plan?

Do they have any familiarity with mainstream superhero comic books, i.e. Marvel and/or DC? The official Champions Universe is heavily inspired by those comics, with many familiar elements. The contemporary Champions Earth is essentially the same as the real world, except for the addition of superhumans. The Age of Superhumans started in the late 1930s - 1940s, same as in those comics. All the classic comic-book origins and power sources are available in one form or another: mutagenic accidents, genetic mutation, radical scientific breakthroughs, sorcery, aliens, supernatural creatures, mystic martial arts, and so on. Many characters and groups from published comics have close analogues in the CU: Defender/Iron Man, Nighthawk/Batman, Grond/Hulk, Black Harlequin/Joker, Thunderbird/Punisher, Kinematik/Magneto, Xarriel/Darkseid-Thanos, UNTIL/SHIELD, Star*Guard/Green Lantern Corps, Empyreans/Eternals, etc.

If they recognize at least some of those references, just tell them this setting is very similar, and introduce relevant particulars on a case-by-case basis as they come up. If they know nothing about superhero comics, this may not be the right genre for them. ;)

Do they have any familiarity with mainstream superhero comic books, i.e. Marvel and/or DC? The official Champions Universe is heavily inspired by those comics, with many familiar elements. The contemporary Champions Earth is essentially the same as the real world, except for the addition of superhumans. The Age of Superhumans started in the late 1930s - 1940s, same as in those comics. All the classic comic-book origins and power sources are available in one form or another: mutagenic accidents, genetic mutation, radical scientific breakthroughs, sorcery, aliens, supernatural creatures, mystic martial arts, and so on. Many characters and groups from published comics have close analogues in the CU: Defender/Iron Man, Nighthawk/Batman, Grond/Hulk, Black Harlequin/Joker, Thunderbird/Punisher, Kinematik/Magneto, Xarriel/Darkseid-Thanos, UNTIL/SHIELD, Star*Guard/Green Lantern Corps, Empyreans/Eternals, etc.

If they recognize at least some of those references, just tell them this setting is very similar, and introduce relevant particulars on a case-by-case basis as they come up. If they know nothing about superhero comics, this may not be the right genre for them. ;)

Agreed. The easiest way, assuming they know DC & Marvel, would be to describe the Champions Universe characters would be as their comic analogs. As long as they know that the personalities might be different than the comic characters, it should be fine for setting the stage for them.

I'm going to run something using these damned Hero rules I love so much, and while Fantasy is still on the table, as well as Traveller Hero, I'm also considering a supers game set in the Champions universe.

That said, I'm not sure I'd have anything but a riot if I suggested the players read the player section of Champions Universe to get up to speed.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for how to introduce them to the world and how it differs from our own, easily or on the installment plan?

We always had our own world and just use whatever element we like.

Sometimes it is just now and supers start popping up. Sometimes they have been around for a while.

I know people who have mish mash of DC, Marvel , GURPS, and indie elements in their world.

Hmmm. Just got thinking supers begin showing up in a post 9-11 world. That is a lot different than 60's or 80's being the starting point.

Hell run a thunder agents game!.

The OP specified a CU game, not a generic superhero game.

Personally, I would never do that, but that's irrelevant.

The main difference between our world and the CU is the destruction of Detroit.

There were also various alien invasions and other mass battles involving superbeings.

(Come to think of it, that's why I would never use the CU.)

PRIMUS, UNTIL and VIPER would probably need to be mentioned. Most of the other organizations aren't as well known. Even this implies that VIPER will be an important factor in the campaign, which might not be the case.

Even though there have been various alien invasions and mass battles involving superbeings, day-to-day life for most people on Champions Earth isn't much different from real Earth. For any game based in the United States the destruction of Detroit is a must-mention, but otherwise those differing details haven't impacted society in ways that need to be explained to new players. At least, for anyone familiar with the genre as a whole.

VIPER is analogous to Hydra from Marvel, or GI Joe's Cobra. UNTIL is a lot like SHIELD. PRIMUS is essentially America's UNTIL. ;)  Again, the details can be dealt with as they come up IMHO.

Those last words are key - don't try to feed them everything all at once. Initially you're just painting a broad picture of "here's what the world is like," without expecting them to remember actual details. The first time Dr. Destroyer shows up on camera, you're going to have to recap what they know about him anyway. So keep it general:

• Basic geography: "just like our Earth except for a couple new cities, some Hidden Lands, etc
  • Brief history overview, just hitting the high points.
  • All the typical origins are on the table: mutant, accident, alien, etc (unless you're planning to restrict this)
  • Briefly touch on super-law and so forth: do heroes need warrants, is registration a thing, can they expect the police to work with them or try to arrest them, that sort of thing.

Concentrate on the things most likely to show up in the game. I know that sounds obvious, but I've seen a lot of GMs get lost in the weeds describing things that are important to them, but aren't important to the players/PCs. Yes, Istvatha Vhan is a major threat in the CU; but if you're not planning to use her then the players don't need to care about her.

For my last CU campaign, I wrote up a 4-page magazine article overviewing the history of superhumans and used that to set the stage - stressing I didn't expect the players to memorize the details, just get a feel for what the world was like. Looking back on it now, I'm a little embarrassed how little of it turned out to be actually relevant to the game. So I think less would've been more. If I were to do it again, I might actually read it out myself as a mini-documentary or something. Essentially giving the highlights of the "History of Superhumans" section of CU, but keeping it brief and focusing on themes rather than names & details: they don't need to remember that America's superteam during WWII was the DoJ; just that superheroes were involved in the war on both sides. As you move your history into the modern era, you can work in names/places that are likely to be important to the game: like "in 1975, a new villain calling himself Dr. Destroyer made his first appearance...."

Then for reference you can hand out a couple of 1-pagers, one for "Notable Good Guys" listing a sentence or two about the major players you want them to know about:

• Reference the Black Mask as the "original" legacy hero
  • List 1-2 major superteams, like the Champions and the Justice Squadron or whoever, especially any operating in the PCs' city.
  • PRIMUS/UNTIL (Personally I think the world doesn't need two super-cop agencies, so I say pick one.)
  • You can mention groups like the Tiger Squad and Star*Guard and such to widen the picture a bit, but just in passing.

...and one for "Notable Bad Guys."

• Probably mention VIPER & DEMON in passing, but not much more than "villainous agencies exist"
  • Mention a few Big Bads like Dr. Destroyer, Eurostar, maybe Grond, just so they get an idea who the major players are.
  • Maybe list a few standard or street-level villains just as examples so they don't think all supervillains are Destroyer-level.
  • I wouldn't bother with groups like IHA or ARGENT unless they're going to be major elements.

Leave room for the players to ask questions on the bits that interest them - they're more likely to remember those details.

Personally I would soft-pedal the "____ is the CU version of Marvel/DC's ____" as it makes the whole thing look way more derivative than it needs to be, and has about a 90% chance of leading to "Well then why don't we just play Marvel/DC?" The good news is if a player has an idea based on something from the Marvel/DC universes, that's fairly easy to translate into their CU equivalent, which lets you work in more backstory in a way the player cares about. So one player has an origin idea of "experimented on by evil scientists." Great, let me tell you about ARGENT! The player wouldn't have listened if you'd brought up ARGENT at first, but now it's relevant to them so they're listening.

And of course leave a copy of CU on the table so players can flip through it and pick out bits that are of interest to them.

Playing the game is the best way of introducing new players to the universe.  You can have the more experienced Superheroes explain what UNTIL is when they go to it's headquarters for a briefing.  If they run into Pulsar one of the team members can give them some information on his background.  And when VIPER had them in a death trap the Nest Leader can monologue their goals and the reason why the heroes have been fools to oppose them.

Remember, in Iron Man Coulson had to explain to Pepper what S.H.I.E.L.D. was.

Liberty and Aurora arrived outside the warehouse at the abandoned pier.  The dark building had no uncovered windows, and for a moment the experienced Patriotic Heroine considered just knocking down the front door.  She thought better of it, considering the new heroine's abilities she had to call on.

"Tell me what you see,"  Liberty said.

"There are a dozen men working not the Airship,"  Aurora answered, her Meson Vision seeing through the walls of the building,  "There wearing yellow and green uniforms."

"VIPER,"  Liberty explained,  "An international criminal/terrorist organization.  Any super villains?"

"A man in a yellow costume and cowl, with a star buster on his best,"  Aurora said,  "And there is a red head in a red and black costume sneaking around."

"The man is Pulsar.  I can't believe he's working with VIPER again, and the woman might be a friend,"  Liberty said, and touching the radio in her crown,  "Nemesis, what's your twenty."

"I'm on the job, can't talk now,"  Nemesis said in a whisper.

"Stand by for company," Liberty said, and nodded to Aurora, who put her hand on Liberty's shoulder, and teleported them next to Nemesis, who manage to hide her surprise well.

"So, who's you're little friend?"  Nemesis asked  .  .  .

The Champions Universe began as a collection of homages to classic Marvel and DC characters, mixed in with some homegrown character ideas.  As time went by, the Champions Universe tried to become more "respectable" by fleshing out their knock-offs into something more unique, but in doing so they lost the easy recognition that they had before.

Personally, I'd just start the players out with beginning characters who didn't know a lot about the superhero world.  You know those people on the Tonight Show who don't recognize a picture of Joe Biden?  That's your character.  Let them learn along the way.  They don't need to know who Mechanon is, unless they're going to fight him.

If you want the players to be complete noobies, start "in media res" as the PCs fight a battle against some overwhelming force. And then--how, exactly is up to you--there's a brilliant flash...and when the PCs can see again, they're in a whole new world. The Champions world.

The characters now know exactly as much about the Champions Universe as their players do. They can learn it together.

I have been playing Runequest in Glorantha with my group recently. I grew up with Glorantha, coming from a time when there was not enough world information. I now forget how much detail I know. As such I make assumptions about player knowledge that are far too optimistic.

I realised my mistake. Now, when I write an adventure loop, I write down all the assumptions and then provide an index card t the layers for each one. Those cards are building up into a decent library of information that they can organise however they want and can explore at the table.

Doc