Swap-in Replacement for D&D 5e?

knasser2

One system I have seen a lot of people use that is so easy my daughter could do it when she was 6 (last year) is to invert the numbers so rolling high is needed.

To hit a character you need to roll higher than the targets DCV+10, example Solomon has a DCV of 7 so all attacks of 17 or less miss.

Then the attacks OCV is simply added to the die roll. This makes the system a roll high system which seamed easier for my daughter.

A roll of 18 always succeeds

A roll of 3 always fails

The formula looks something like the following

If Roll+OCV > Target DCV+10 = Success

Honestly I never had anyone complain about rolling low. 

Hell Chaosium rolls low!

Storyteling and Storyteller systems you roll under.

What other RPG system besides D20 and its rip offs rolls high for success?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuzion, Fate, Fudge, Savage Worlds and many more.

It is not a right/way wrong way type of thing. It is a preference thing. Honestly if it makes it accessible for my little girl then I will do it.

All systems I have not played. Fate is modified form of fudge I'm told. 

Riseus may be a rollup system. I'd have to look it up.

RISUS is roll high. But I do not know about Role Master.

My experience has actually been the majority of games I play use roll high. And all of the most popular system do (D&D X/Pathfinder, Story Teller, Fate, Palladium, & Savage Worlds). So for me it is a matter of taste some like roll high, others like roll low and I don't care which. But for my 7 year old roll high is easier.

RISUS is roll high. But I do not know about Role Master.

My experience has actually been the majority of games I play use roll high. And all of the most popular system do (D&D X/Pathfinder, Story Teller, Fate, Palladium, & Savage Worlds). So for me it is a matter of taste some like roll high, others like roll low and I don't care which. But for my 7 year old roll high is easier.

I think you need to double check on storyteller Roll high doesn't work with 9 again an 10 again mechanics.

The target # is normally 8. Characters with 9 again or 10 again mechanics hit easier not harder.

To me the d20 roll high should just the way of AC.

Hi,

I haven't had much chance to reply here properly with the amount of work I've had on the past couple of weeks, which led to me failing to reply at all. The sword examples were very useful. I have more questions to come, I'm afraid. A couple of small ones in the meantime, though. Firstly, I bought Fantasy Hero Complete. This turns out to be considerably smaller than Fantasy Hero which is very counter-intuitive. :( I'm looking at the index for Fantasy Hero 6th edition in the DriveThruRPG store preview and it seems to have a lot of useful things that FHC does not - weapons lists, armour lists, rules for equipment breakage, different magic systems and templates for professions. It looks that I have bought the wrong one, yes? :( I can't be the only person who finds it massively misleading that Fantasy Hero Complete is incomplete and Fantasy Hero has the extra stuff.

More constructively, I'm starting to look at how I would put together a magic system in this game. I've discovered "Charges" and this seems the way to replicate a D&D wizards "memorize spells in the morning" system. How in general should I handle that a Wizard selects only X amount of spells? I.e. I could create a Fireball spell and a Lightning spell that both had three charges, but how would I simulate there being three charges in total that you could allocate between them so that a player has to choose which they think they'll need in advance? Is there a way?

More constructively, I'm starting to look at how I would put together a magic system in this game. I've discovered "Charges" and this seems the way to replicate a D&D wizards "memorize spells in the morning" system. How in general should I handle that a Wizard selects only X amount of spells? I.e. I could create a Fireball spell and a Lightning spell that both had three charges, but how would I simulate there being three charges in total that you could allocate between them so that a player has to choose which they think they'll need in advance? Is there a way?

Everything you would need is right here - KillerShrike has a complete set of documents on how to create a Vancain magic system (i.e. D&D).  I think you will want to look at his Gestalt Casting Magic System.

Hi,

I haven't had much chance to reply here properly with the amount of work I've had on the past couple of weeks, which led to me failing to reply at all. The sword examples were very useful. I have more questions to come, I'm afraid. A couple of small ones in the meantime, though. Firstly, I bought Fantasy Hero Complete. This turns out to be considerably smaller than Fantasy Hero which is very counter-intuitive. :( I'm looking at the index for Fantasy Hero 6th edition in the DriveThruRPG store preview and it seems to have a lot of useful things that FHC does not - weapons lists, armour lists, rules for equipment breakage, different magic systems and templates for professions. It looks that I have bought the wrong one, yes? :( I can't be the only person who finds it massively misleading that Fantasy Hero Complete is incomplete and Fantasy Hero has the extra stuff.

You're not the first to raise the above points -- but FHC is complete in a way that FH is not, in  that FHC does actually have everything needed to play. FH does not have the rules, you need either CC, FHC, or the whole HS two-volume set for that. The extra stuff in FH is very convenient, yes, but it's not things that you can't do for yourself using FHC.

I don't know what it is called in 6th Edition but previous editions had an advantage called Delayed Effect which allows a mage to precast the spell then "hang it" as some people say.

Delayed effect assumes there is a campaign rule that limits the numbers of spells a mage can have active.  Say Int/5 or so many actives points. I use int/4.

FH 5th edition also suggests also having a campaign rule for how many spells a mage can have prepped. Say 2 or 3 times what the active limit is.

Personally I don't like the memorization feel. But i get something similar in my Harn rules.

I require all arcane spells to take at least take extra time (1 turn) limitation. 

They can get around that using the following:

• Fast casting at a -3 added to the arcane roll which lets them cast in a phase instead of a turn
  • Build with the lingering advantage
  • Build with delayed effect advantage
  • Build with Trigger
  • Learn to enchant items

You can make all spells instantaneous or require long rituals. Or you can require mages to gather energy in focuses (END reserve) via a tiring ritual(costs LTE) and that energy is used to cast spells.

You are not stuck with the D20 model if you don't want to.

Killer Shrike has good points his/her site for replicating D&D or building something different.

Things from 5th edition or their 6th equivalent I suggest as good limitations for spells.

1. Ritual Limitation, you can still cast spells as rituals without it by voluntarily taking extra time and using teamwork rules to gain a bonus to arcane rolls. But a spell built with it must be cast with X amount of people depending on the level taken.
  2. Window of Opportunity limitation, This is the only cast during the full moon (Once a month) or only during Solstice and Equinoxes (4 times a years) limitation.
  3. Side Effects or Backfire, Usually Side Effects only happens if you fail to cast the spell. Backfire is when it happens no matter what.

If you want spell levels I suggest (active points +real points)/15. I haven't found a Wizard level system I like yet.

I may just use a perk system mimicking the Harn setting. Or not bother.

Hi,

Fantasy HERO doesn't have any of the system's core rules, it is longer because it has exhaustive descriptions on how to run various genre's of Fantasy, lots of optional rules, and lots of random useless quotes from various books/shows. You can't play Fantasy HERO with just the Fantasy HERO book. Meanwhile you can play Fantasy HERO with just Fantasy HERO Complete. The expanded equipment and equipment price tables are my favorite thing from FH, with my next favorite being the Alternate Item Creation system (where you purchase custom powers which represent the ability to create a given magical item, instead of paying for the item it self).

If you just need a price list though, you can use Pathfinder's Economy without too much trouble. Just look for Ultimate Equipment online, the Pathfinder Reference document is freely available online, and contains all of the price tables from the aforementioned book in a neat, easily searchable format (you can even easily bring it up on mobile devices)

Fantasy HERO doesn't have any of the system's core rules, it is longer because it has exhaustive descriptions on how to run various genre's of Fantasy, lots of optional rules, and lots of random useless quotes from various books/shows. You can't play Fantasy HERO with just the Fantasy HERO book. Meanwhile you can play Fantasy HERO with just Fantasy HERO Complete. The expanded equipment and equipment price tables are my favorite thing from FH, with my next favorite being the Alternate Item Creation system (where you purchase custom powers which represent the ability to create a given magical item, instead of paying for the item it self).

If you just need a price list though, you can use Pathfinder's Economy without too much trouble. Just look for Ultimate Equipment online, the Pathfinder Reference document is freely available online, and contains all of the price tables from the aforementioned book in a neat, easily searchable format (you can even easily bring it up on mobile devices)

1. Cantriped you really must explain how the 6th edition Alternate Item Creation system compares to the 5th edition
  2. We had the economics debate before. I haven't seen pathfinder but tend to not like the D&D prices. I did acquire a copy of the well recommended by the board rolemaster supplement "And a 10 Foot Pole". And it looks very useful. But I have 12th century prices lists from the Robin Hood Supplement. Not sure if Lionheart has a price guide. I heartily suggest those sources for those who need them. & a 10' Pole has multiple time periods in its lists. It goes from the Stone Age to Information Age.

The race templates begin on p. 202, the professions on 209.  Armor and weapons are on 248-249.  Weapon breakability is something you sort of have to piece together from Breakable Focus, or assign PD, ED, and BODY scores.  PD and ED are typically 1/5 of the Active Points of the largest Power in the focus, or whatever defenses the Focus provides, whichever is more.  You can also give PD, ED, and BODY each equal to 1/10 of the Active Points, especially for simpler objects like melee weapons.

You can play the game if all you have is FHC, but you'll have to build a lot yourself.  Also, did you get the bonus downloads?  Those include more monsters, full sample characters, a sample adventure and locale.

1. Cantriped you really must explain how the 6th edition Alternate Item Creation system compares to the 5th edition.

If I recall correctly, the system was Cut & Pasted from FH 5th basically unchanged. I'll double check and post a correction if I am wrong.

Edit: Checked, The Alternate Item Creation systems in FH 5th and FH 6th are word for word identical, only the page numbers were changed to reference the 6th edition books.

We had the economics debate before. I haven't seen pathfinder but tend to not like the D&D prices. I did acquire a copy of the well recommended by the board rolemaster supplement "And a 10 Foot Pole". And it looks very useful. But I have 12th century prices lists from the Robin Hood Supplement. Not sure if Lionheart has a price guide. I heartily suggest those sources for those who need them. & a 10' Pole has multiple time periods in its lists. It goes from the Stone Age to Information Age.

Pathfinders economy is a horribly unrealistic system, but it's also freely available (without pirating). Its also a lot more realistic if you ignore the fact that even minor magical items cost more than building a palace does.

I bought Fantasy Hero Complete. This turns out to be considerably smaller than Fantasy Hero which is very counter-intuitive. :( I'm looking at the index for Fantasy Hero 6th edition in the DriveThruRPG store preview and it seems to have a lot of useful things that FHC does not - weapons lists, armour lists, rules for equipment breakage, different magic systems and templates for professions. It looks that I have bought the wrong one, yes? :( I can't be the only person who finds it massively misleading that Fantasy Hero Complete is incomplete and Fantasy Hero has the extra stuff.

OK, some history, from one man's perspective.

Back in 1985 when Fantasy Hero was first published, it was a single game in one book, $15 for 155 pages. In that space it contained everything needed to play, including a bestiary and a spellbook, plus some sample items and two adventures The 6th edition rules required two rulebooks plus fantasy Hero: $125 for 1250 pages. Those 1250 pages still did not contain a spellbook or a bestiary.

Rules have been trending toward simpler and smaller. Many people do not have endless hours to read books, or a lot of spare cash, and they want a pick-up-and-play game. Savage Worlds was 150 pages and only $10, and was as complete as the original Fantasy Hero, and has been enormously popular, while Hero 6th was languishing. The size of the rules scared off new players, and the large minimal investment eliminated impulse buyers from giving it a try on a whim.

Back in the 1980s Hero was simple, and it was grown. Much of the growth is good, new powers and better ways to do things, but along with the growth came explanation. Hero always appealed to tinkers and do-it-yourself types; the old books gave you a toolkit and let you figure out how to use it. I was drawn to the game (from AD&D) as much for its simple and lightweight rules, and the interpretive freedom they gave me, as for the mechanics themselves. They were easy to memorize. I enjoyed creating new modifiers or thinking up new ways to apply existing modifiers.

Much of the length in 6th edition came from explanation: each power and modifier had pages upon pages of explanation, examples, discussing every possible way anyone had ever thought to use the mechanic and providing an official ruling for the correct way. The system was no longer simple and lightweight, there was no interpretive freedom, no creating new modifiers or thinking of new ways to use them. That is because in 30+ years it is well trodden ground, I rarely through of anything that hadn't been thought of before, and the 6th ed rules were the encyclopedic reference for it all. It was predigested.

Fantasy Hero Complete was (in part) an attempt to go back to what made original Fantasy Hero great. It contains all the rules that were in 6th edition, incorprates errata and tweaks a couple of things, and cuts away the explanation to again make it "the GM's game" instead of "someone else's table rules." It should probably be thought of as 6.5th edition, and it officially supercedes 6th edition, though I believe it is 99% identical. It is cheap enough every player can afford their own copy, which was not true of 6th edition. It is much easier to GM in my opinion, because when I see a modifier I want I can just use it without needing to check every power and related rule to see if there is an official editorial on how it can and cannot be used. Still not perfect for me but a huge step in the right direction.

For those that want a more complete treatment, the 6th edition PDFs are still available as reference. I avoided 6th edition initially, but after FHC came out I went out and bought the 6th edition rules and FH hardbacks on ebay. FHC is the game I use in play, the others are on the shelf to consult. In my opinion FHC makes the game playable and digestable. The rest is optional. Since FHC supercedes 6th edition, I don't feel like I'm cheating if I don't bother to look something up, and that frees me to just play.

Also FHC does have weapons (p.249) and armor (p.248). Money and equipment is left out because most people have their own game worlds and don't use it anyway. I always found the old FH price lists to be useless because they had too much stuff to wade through, and because they denominated prices in iron pieces and stuff. At my table I just grab an old Expert D&D book and use that. YMMV as we used to say, but seriously use whatever you like and/or already know. If you are using 5E D&D, just use those prices and equipment. For weapons and armor, a good way to do it is mass(kg) = D&D gold pieces for armor, and real cost = D&D gold pieces for weapons. That way prices are directly tied to utility.

Something else to understand is that not everyone likes how weapons were statted up in 6E. Older editions used a different weapons list, with different design principles. And GMs may need to modify the list, removing some and adding others. That is why FHC lists "sample" weapons and armor. In the end, most Hero GMs have a house rules document that contains all the non-rules information players will need: duplicate and adjust the weapons list, add other equipment, assign prices, make your own mini-PHB.

I also wanted to address an idea for how to do D&D Vancian magic, if that is what you are interested in.

There are three core mechanics that regulate spells in D&D: (1) how many and which spells you know, (2) the need to memorize them each day, and (3) how many times you can use them per day.

In Hero, spells you know (1) are bought with points, and memorization (2) is the Delayed Effect advantage. Just like in D&D you can reskin it in Hero as pre-casting, hanging spells, enchanting acorns, "stacking your rack", whatever, it is the mechanic that matters. The time spent memorizing is the "casting time" in Hero, and delayed spells are released instantly. If you want a casting time at time of use, then either do not delay the spell, or create a custom limitation. A really nice thing about Delayed Effect is that you can take huge limitations on casting time to reduce the cost of your spells. Nothing about Delayed Effect says that you cannot re-memorize spells, unless you add a custom limitation "can only cast in the morning."

How many times per day can be handled multiple ways. The simplest way is charges: X times per day. That also eliminates END cost, which is not present in D&D. But another (more fine-grained) method is to have an Endurance Reserve to power your spells, tuned so that it recharges all its points every day. For example a 240 END pool that recharges 10 per hour. This allows each spell to vary in how much of your power it consumes, at the expense of tracking END points and recoveries, and also when you're desperate you can wait an hour to get a few points back. Cantrips are almost free and unlimited while a single huge spell may drain nearly all your power. This accomplishes the effect of "use per day" in a way that is more reflective of fantasy literature, but it is not as true to the flavor of D&D.

Duration from spells can be handled with Time Limit.

A pure D&D system that would be very easy for players:

Multipower with X-point reserve, all: N charges (?), Delayed Effect (+1/4), incantations (-1/4), gestures (-1/4), requires OAF fragile spellbook to cast (-1.25), requires light to use (-1/4), extra time 5 minutes (-2)

[Campaign rule: number of delayed spells are limited by the charges in the multipower.]

That says that you can cast N spells per day, up to X active points each, you can restrain or silence wizards to keep them from casting spells, and memorization requires 5 minutes with a spellbook and light to read it. X is 30 for first level spells, 45 for second level spells, 60 for third level, etc. You only need one Multipower sized to the largest spells you can cast. 

So if you have 3/2/2/1 spell slots, but a 4th level multipower with 8 charges. It would look like this:

Multipower with 75-point reserve, 8 charges (-1/2), Delayed Effect (+1/4), incantations (-1/4), gestures (-1/4), requires OAF fragile spellbook to cast (-1.25), requires light to use (-1/4), extra time 5 minutes (-2). Cost: 17 points

(4v) Shield: +2 DCV and 10 Power Defense, 20 active.

(14v) Magic Missile: 1d6 energy RKA, Autofire x3 (+1.25), NND vs shield spell or power defense (+2), accurate vs DCV 3 (+1/2), 71 active

(10v) Sleep: 3d6 Drain STUN, Uncontrolled (+1/2), Increased max effect  x2 [36 STUN] (+1/4), area 4m radius (+1/4), only until asleep (-1/4), active 60

(2v) Levitate: Flight 20m, only vertical (-1), concentrate 1/2 DCV throughout (-1/2), active 20

(15v) Fireball: 10d6 Blast, area 20 ft radius (+1/2), 75 active [15 per 2d6]

(10v) Phantasmal Killer: Mental Blast 2d6 (20), does Body (+1), Time Limit lingering 1 minute (+3/4), active 55

You cannot have more spells active than the pool size. To levitate (20) while casting a fireball (60) you'd need an 80 point pool, or you need to reduce the power of those slots so they fit (which is why this example bought them as varaible slots). For example, 5m levitattion would fit with a 7d6 fireball.

If you want spells only to be prepared in the morning, use standard charges. If you want to allow a mage to rest during the day and recover spells, make them charges "recoverable after a 4-hour nap" or something.

Cantrips are special, you can use them in 5E D&D at will, but they are weak. Creating a separate Multipower for cantrips allows them to use different rules:

Cantrip Multipower with 15-point reserve, Reduced END zero (+1/2), incantations (-1/4), gestures (-1/4): cost 15 points

(1f) Acid Splash: 1d6 energy RKA, 15 active

(1f) Chill Touch: 1d6 energy Blast, NND vs power defense (+2), 15 active

(1f) Light: Images +1 PER vs Sight, only to create light (-1), 13 active

Cantrips are usable at will and require no END, but you can only use one at a time. They have a separate multipower from regular spells. As with other spells, silencing or restraining a wizard will prevent cantrip use.

In play, this is how it would work:
  • In the morning, the PC recovers his charges. He spends 5 minutes per spell to pre-cast spells, until he has used all his charges, selecting which spells will be pre-cast.
  • During the adventuring day, casting a spell is as simple as saying "I cast X" and taking a half phase action to discharge it. As each spell is used up, it cannot be re-used until the charge recovers the next morning.
  • If a player choose not to use all his charges in the morning, he can cast the spell at any time during the day by simply spending the 5 minute casting time, and can either use the spell immediately or hang it for later. That's all there is, its about as painless as FH magic gets.
  • Cantrips can be used at will.
  • House Rule: Normally all limitations apply at casting time, but a table rule for this system is that incantations and gestures and concentration apply at the time of release, allowing silence spells to be effective. The GM can tweak Hero as desired if he feels it is balanced and fun.
  • House Rule: Since spells are inherently limited by charges, Delayed Effect simply accepts that limit and no additional limit need be applied.

This construct can be adjusted a lot, but it is a starting point to show some ideas.

In Hero, spells you know (1) are bought with points, and memorization (2) is the Delayed Effect advantage. Just like in D&D you can reskin it in Hero as pre-casting, hanging spells, enchanting acorns, "stacking your rack", whatever, it is the mechanic that matters. The time spent memorizing is the "casting time" in Hero, and delayed spells are released instantly. If you want a casting time at time of use, then either do not delay the spell, or create a custom limitation. 

Or, here's an idea I've had for a while.  Allow the Differing Modifiers rules to be used with Delayed Effect.  (Terminology: the Delayed Effect spell is the spell that you cast, and the preparation Power is the Power you use to prepare it.)  You'd build the Delayed Effect spell as you can cast it, then use its Real Cost as the Base Cost for the preparation Power; you'd use the preparation Power's Extra Time, END Cost, Focus, etc., to represent the time and requirements it takes to prepare the spell.  The preparation Power requires additional Advantages as follows: 

• +1/4 to create an Instant Delayed Effect spell that works once, or any spell that lasts for a single Phase
  • +1/2 to create a Constant Delayed Effect spell that continues, or an Instant spell with Charges (but see text)
  • An additional +1/4 Advantage to double the number of times it can be prepared (see text for interaction with Charges)

You can have a total number of prepared spells equal to the number of Delayed Effect spells you have bought in this way, because you're essentially paying for them all up front, although any rules the GM sets for how many total prepared Delayed Effects you can have supersede this.  (In other words, you can prepare each one once unless you buy it up.)  If you are casting a Constant Delayed Effect spell, it has to either cost Endurance, be non-Persistent, have a reasonably defined method for deactivating it, or be built with one of the following:  Continuing Charges, Damage Over Time, Physical Manifestation, or Time Limit.  Spells built and cast in this way have their normal END cost, unless otherwise specified, and Reduced END Cost may be bought as normal, barring the above requirements.  If you buy the Delayed Effect spell with Charges, the total value of the Charges must be a +0 or greater Advantage.  (I'm trying to figure out how this should interact with any Charges on the Delayed Effect spell; suggestions are greatly appreciated.)

Differing Modifiers are on FHC p. 142, but they're not very well explained therein.  

Edit to add:  Maybe I'm overthinking the Charges thing.  If the Delayed Effect spell is built with Charges, then one use of the preparation Power grants you that many Charges.  Example:  the D&D 5e spell Goodberry grants you 10 berries.  The spell would therefore be built with 10 Charges.  Incidentally, buying a spell with 1 Charge and using the "real points = base cost" thing makes it super cheap, which might be a good thing, depending.

Delayed effect is optional. 

In fact there is nothing stopping you from allowing players to have instant spell attacks and/or half phase actions.

If you don't want the rapid spellcast for your feel of magic that have to tweak the system.

Now Rune Quest has three types of magic.

Fast and easy Divine

A slightly slower but still combat oriented battle or spirit magic.

And a long and involved sorcery system not suited for battle unless they learned to hang spells or were in the backlines.

I wouldn't go super complicated to start out.  Make low powered characters, have them fight guards and such, maybe some goblins or something minor.  If there's a priest give them some combat abilities and a very small number of starting rituals; a heal, a light, a cure poison.  If there's a wizard type, again just a few spells: attack, defense, utility, and maybe a different attack like a drain or mental blast.  Simple, direct characters like level 1 D&D guys, so people can get used to the system without being inundated with new stuff.

Magic items and such, make them just do what you want and don't bother with the writeup.  If its a sword that is more accurate, its just a sword that's +1 OCV.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I felt it would be right to check in and say thanks for all the great suggestions, links and information. You've all been super helpful and I didn't want to just disappear without saying so.

I've decided Hero is a better system for me than D&D. There's quite a lot of work to do to make it what I want but it seems the only way I'll actually get to a place I'm happy with. I'm going to grab Fantasy Hero (non-complete) for the equipment and magic suggestions, etc. I'm also going to get the full 6th edition rule book. I may or may not get the Grimoire.

Regretably my game is probably going to go on hold or be cancelled with immediate effect, for meta-reasons. Basically, one of the player's enjoyment of the game is antithetical to my own and I can see no way to reconcile the two. Either I enjoy it or she does. Middle ground is eluding me. Furthermore, I've thought it through and there is no way to remove her from the group that wont cause massive offence and also destroy the group. So I'm not sure how much longer this group will go on. Hero is an extremely well-thought out system but even it can't help resolve the case of a GM whose goals / ideas of fun are so at odds with their players.

However, I don't want people to think the advice has been wasted. I'm enjoying reading the rules and sketching out a new game system using them, and when I do get a new group, I'll put it all to good use! And especially, as I said, I didn't want to just vanish and not say how much I appreciate all the replies. Very helpful and when I get a new group together, I'll definitely be using Hero to do it.

Thanks,

K.