Would you like to see an easel sized hex pad?

dsatow

Would you spend $60 for a pad of 30 sheets of 1" hex paper 27"x34" (easel sized)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you spend $60 for a pad of 30 sheets of 1" hex paper 27"x34" (easel sized)

• Sure!
    • Depends on the pad
    • No Way

I've been working on an idea of making easel sized (27"x34") pads of hex paper.  I've gotten a quote and it'll be about $60 for a pad of 30 sheets.  Now you may be wondering what I am talking about.  An easel sized sheet would be similar to those large pads of papers used in presentations, the ones with a 1" graph on them.  Those work great for Pathfinder and D&D but Hero uses hexes.  So I was wondering if I could get them done with hex paper.  It appears I can, but the cost is pretty high.  About ~$40 - $45 per pad and another ~$12 per pad shipping.  Now for friends as gifts an such, a few pads might be nice, but I was wondering if I could sell them without taking a loss.  Thus this poll.

Dry erase mats are cheaper and will last longer due to the reusable nature...

I agree. I don't like disposable things in general. I wouldn't feel comfortable spending that much on something that is essentially waste. You could easily go through those sheets in a few weeks if you have more than 1 encounter in a session.

I have a couple of Noteboards with the combined hex-square grid, but if I were going to buy this product I'd probably laminate the sheets for dry erase use.  I'd be more likely to make a big hex grid, take to Office Depot, and get it printed out on their huge printer and then have them laminate it.  

As for why to have this...

Well, say you have a Champions base you use a lot, you could draw out a fairly detailed map, take it to a place and get it laminated.  Instead of drawing the base over and over again on a vinyl one, you have a permanent copy.  If you have a battle in the city, you could draw out a fairly generic city scene and again laminate and reuse it over and over.  Lets say you are running Star Hero, you could draw the interior of their star ship.  For fantasy hero, the local town.  The pad would allow you to make up to 30 specialized maps for use.

It would be similar to gaming paper (see https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-Paper-Roll-Square-Beige/dp/B003G4DLLC or http://gamingpaper.com/).  One roll of gaming paper gives you 30 sq ft at about $8 ($4+$4 shipping).  The pad would give you about 6.25 per sheet or about 190 sq ft.  

It looks like this probably won't fly, so I'll probably just make enough for myself and interested friends.

Well, say you have a Champions base you use a lot, you could draw out a fairly detailed map, take it to a place and get it laminated.  Instead of drawing the base over and over again on a vinyl one, you have a permanent copy.  If you have a battle in the city, you could draw out a fairly generic city scene and again laminate and reuse it over and over.  Lets say you are running Star Hero, you could draw the interior of their star ship.  For fantasy hero, the local town.  The pad would allow you to make up to 30 specialized maps for use.

For this kind of thing, it's simple enough to take a photo of the Champions base with any smartphone, open it within even the most rudimentary of image editors (even Microsoft Paint will do, but it's the slowest and most tedious to use), and remove all colour and lines associated with the hex mat from the image.  After this, the retouched image is sent to a local copy shop to be printed as a transparency OR printed on a home laser printer using 8.5x11" transparency sheets ... and trimmed/taped together. 

This may be more work than use of easel sheets, however, it's also more durable, can overlay one's hex mat, and can even be drawn on with dry erase markers without permanent impact to the Champions Base (unlike the easel/pad, which if you draw a fire on it ... now has a fire on it forever).

This gives me an idea to which you're welcome:

Add an easel-sized transparency sheet (attached to the bottom of the easel, not the top like the rest of the pad's contents) as the top-most 'sheet' beneath the pad's protective cover ... and now you have a re-usable blank dry erase pad of large hex sheets... AND a pad full of more permanent things like bases ... any one of which can be drawn on without permanent impact to them simply by slipping the transparency sheet over it.

The transparency film would need a very durable 'hinge' because it would see a lot of use.  The pad would need a cover to keep the film from being pock-marked due to exposure to debris and such.  Ideally this could be rolled up much like a hex mat so that it's easily transported and/or stored.

THAT has value in my world -- because it solves the problem you want to solve ... while eliminating the editing and print time/costs associated with making permanent transparencies of things like bases, vehicles, etc.  It's also a solid replacement for a hex mat ... or a nice addition to one that can behave just like one.

I'd pay $30 plus S&H for that ... depending on how many pages it had, of course.  If you want to get closer to $40-$50 plus S&H, I'd expect it to have a long-lasting means to secure it when rolled up and protective tube into which it could be inserted when rolled for transit/storage.