Standard & Martial Combat Maneuvers with Telekinesis

Surrealone

In case you need to know, the rules for building martial arts are in the Hero System Martial Arts book on pages 92-102, and building ranged martial arts on page 103-105 of the same book. Page 207 of the same book has something about Telekinesis, and refers people to use the guide on pages 295 of the 6E1. So there are our sources.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my books in hardcopy; am a Hero afficionado precisely because you need exactly one book instead of 50 bazillion subset-specific books; don't own the Hero System Martial Arts book ... and am painfully aware that the 6e v1 & v2 books are retardedly expensive for used, out-of-print books -- assuming you can find them.  (Never mind that they aren't one succinct book like 4e and 5e were .... and are, instead, a 2 volume set with annoying cross-references from one to the other.) 

But hey, if you want to lug around piles of books and are into buying loads of them and storing them somewhere, more power to you; I'm not like that.

Now, as for positive/negative DCV ... I never said I didn't want positive/negative DCV ... so I'm not sure why you asked a question about that.  Others in this thread seemed to feel that TKMA should not get the same adjustments that regular MA gets ... but I am not among them.  I personally feel that one SHOULD get those adjustments.  I'm even ok with the range modifier.  I do, however, draw the line at offhand penalties using TKMA, because I feel if there's no offhand penalty for regular MA, there should be none for TKMA since my visualization of it is the same maneuver ... as if at HTH distance ... but at range.

Really? Should the martial arts for Telekinesis really be built using the Ranged Martial Arts rules only? It might be easyer, considering they don't have rules about STR + and STR -. But also, no rules about Grab Opponent and Grab Weapon. Using standard Martial Arts building rules allows for buying incress and decress in STR (applying to Telekinesis STR as oppose to personal STR), but you can't decrease or increase range penalties like Range Martial Arts can.

It has been suggested that the bonus Exert STR applies for Telekinesis should be +3.5 for +1 point up to +7 TK STR, then +3.5 TK STR for +2 points after that, up to a maximum of +14 TK STR. (Or, at least what I can figure out from that person stating that my example martial arts that the STR of the Grab manuvers should be 7 instead of 10). Beyond that, I can't see anything wrong with using standard Martial Arts building rules for creating Telekinesis based Martial Arts (ranged penalties can be fixed with Penalty Skill Levels).

My guide to creating Telekinesis based Martial Arts.

Bind: Requires Fine Manipulation.

Block: Doesn't requires Fine Manipulation. Can block at a distance.

Disable: Requires Fine Manipulation.

Disarm: Don't requires Fine Manipulation, cause it is the equivalence to slapping an object out of someone's hand.

Dodge: Can be bought, but requires "use art bairhanded" to be bought before use. Telekinesis does not affect Dodge at all.

Flash: Requires Fine Manipulation.

FMove: Can be bought, but does not truly affect the requirements for Fine Manipulation.

Grab Opponent: Generally speaking, it depends on exactly how it is defined. A "choak hold" targets one area, and needs Fine Manipulation. While a standard Grab does not requires a Fine Manipulation.

Grab Weapon: Requires Fine Manipulation. As this is a 'yank and pull' manuver. Using the weapon to strike does not requires Fine Manipulation, except to use certin manuvers.

K-Damage: If it is a general 'tear mussles and break bones' attack, then it needs no Fine Manipulation. But if it targets an area, then needs it.

N-Damage: Again, a general damage strike needs no Fine Manipulation.

NND Damage: This manuvers needs Fine Manipulation, as it always repersents striking sensitive areas of the body.

STR+ And STR-: For Telekinesis based Martial Arts, it affects Telekinesis STR only. All standard uses affects Telekinesis instead of STR. Because of the cost change for Telekinesis, it is a +3.5 instead of +5.

Strike: Based on if it is a general damage or targeting a statuc area.

Throw: Generally, damage by throws are almost always from impact with solid objects, not from Telekinesis itself. So Fine Manipulation is usaly not needed.

V/6 And V/10: Generally it is not considered applicable because you can not use standard Move Through and Move By with Telekinesis. Grab By might be used, but that does not use v/6 and v/10.