Endurance and spells

Brian Stanfield

Personally, I think the easiest ways to ensure that spellcasting is tiring are to:

1) Require that all tiring forms of spellcasting cost END, and perhaps even require Increased END Cost (between x2 to x4); especially on Instant Attack Powers. I can see allowing Half-END for Constant (and especially Uncontrolled) Powers.

2) Enforce the standard LTE rules across the board; for ease of book keeping I think you can safely ignore the first three step on the Long-Term Endurance Table (CC 19, FHC 22).

3) Strongly encourage (or require) both warriors and sorcerers not to exceed the Normal Characteristic Maxima on END & REC.

I'm inclined to agree with this, and I just wrote a big long response only to delete it all. Maybe simple is best. Let me work through this. Let's assume a character has NCM of 50 END and 10 REC, and SPD 3. Let's assume also that he's using beginning spells with the x2 END Limitation, resulting in 6 END spells (beginning level stuff):

• Turn 1: 3 spells would result in 18 END, and with other activities we could round it up to 20. After post-segment 12 REC, he'd be at 40.
  • After 4 full Turns he'd be at 10 END, and LTE after 4 Turns would only take away 4 END from his total, so he's be down to 46 and ready to go again after a full Turn of Recoveries.
If we use x4 END Limitation, each spell would be 12 END:
  • Turn 1: 3 spells would be 36 END. After post-segment 12 REC he'd have 24 END.
  • Turn 2: He'd only be able to cast 2 spells for 24 END. After post-segment 12 he'd be at 10 END.
  • Turn 3: Take 4 Recoveries to get back up to 50
  • Turns 4 & 5: repeat
  • Turn 6: 4 recoveries again.
I guess it all depends on when you start applying the LTE penalties. Does it start with Turn 1? That's not how the RAW read, but assuming it's a campaign rule to always apply LTE to spell usage, that would be 4x the REC, resulting in 4 LTE being lost per Turn. After 6 Turns that would be a loss of 24 LTE. Not bad. The example above would work out much differently by Turns 4 & 5 if you apply the LTE as you go, with more recoveries interjected with spell usage because he could never get back up to 50 until after a long rest.

Am I getting this right? Thanks again for the suggestions!