PD/ED vs Stun Only

Steve

28 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

I liked Sean's suggestion. 

As did I, but I would, where he suggests adding Bruising damage to END loss, would also use it as a reduction to maximum END until it has healed- I have run _no_ numbers because I have been out and about as Santa (the Beard was ready, and tired or not, I cannot disappoint!  I love the looks on kids faces when they think they have 'caught' Santa on his day off. ;)  ), but off the cuff, let's go with his Bruise/5 deduction to END as it is earned, and apply some portion (or all of it) as a cap to Total END available.

For what it's worth, when I do grim and gritty, I tend to do something sort of similar-  again, _sort of_, and only for from and gritty, where every points of BODY done by a KA vs PD reduces Recovery by one, and every ten points reduces it by another one (yes; they stack).

I haven't ever really tried Sean' suggestion because, as someone else noted, sean and I have both added "yet another damage stat to track," but just like Sanity for a C'Thulhu game, sometimes it gives the flavor you want.

I just haven't yet had the desire for a flavor that needs four damage stats.  :lol:

It mimics the conventions of the comic book genre well, but yeah, in the real world getting knocked out is serious business and can have lasting effects.

Its rare someone is beaten to unconsciousness in a normal setting without suffering at least some body damage. That, plus if you want it really realistic, impairing and disabling damage combined with hit locations gives you pretty effective long term damage.  But not a lot of games call for that or are what players want to play.  if you want real world "getting punched in the face takes weeks to recover from" you're probably not going to be playing role playing games.

But consider: if you get up after a brutal fight and shake it off with a witty quip, or if you get beaten into a concussion that takes weeks to recover from, you aren't going to be going on adventures until you're healthy anyway, which takes place "off camera" so what's the difference in the end?

Edited by Christopher R Taylor

7 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I just haven't yet had the desire for a flavor that needs four damage stats.  :lol:

In original Traveller, IIRC,every stat was a damage. Wasn't a game I played much, so I might be wrong.

In this case, however, my perspective is simply that Max END becomes variable in gameplay.  If you use physical tokens (I like doing that for END and STUN), it is a matter of a separate cup, to put unavailable END tokens into.