The Two Types Of Standard Effects.

steriaca

I think it also depends on how often your players use their powers at less than full power. I can't say it never happens in our games - there's the occasional "pulling my punch so I don't kill this mook" moment - but it's certainly not something that comes up frequently enough to warrant a Limitation. YMMV.

That kind of seems like "what's actually a limitation" material, exactly.

A good case for proportionally linking powers is when attack powers are linked to movement. If your speedster doesn't actually use your 30" of Running, then your Superspeed Punch doesn't get to be used at full power. Using it at full power actually requires a Move-By/Move-Through, since you can't use all your movement with a half action, which ups the stakes considerably.

A good case for proportionally linking powers is when attack powers are linked to movement. If your speedster doesn't actually use your 30" of Running, then your Superspeed Punch doesn't get to be used at full power. Using it at full power actually requires a Move-By/Move-Through, since you can't use all your movement with a half action, which ups the stakes considerably.

True dat. I usually find it easier to just build that as "Only with Move-By/Through." But then that doesn't address what happens when my Running gets Drained to 1/2.

Yup, APG2 p19. Note to self (again): next time I catch myself thinking "I'm surprised this hasn't come up before," check the APGs. :)

Short answer: it looks like the correct interpretation per RAW is: 

...as long as you're using Power A at its current full power (ie 30 AP), then you can must use B at its current full power (ie 60 AP).

In which case taking Unified Power would be an appropriate Limitation.

Edited to be more accurate.

I believe Steve Long's view is that a Hero gaming group would have the APGs (at least one copy owned by someone in the group).  

Practically, it does not seem unreasonable that the Rules Question board references existing books where the issue has been covered, and provides whatever answers Steve considers appropriate where the question is not addressed in the books.  That's a lot more than most game publishers do! 

Hero is a business, and they make money by selling books.  If I want the rules and rulings from the APGs, it does not seem unreasonable that I should pay the $$ and buy those books.  A group not willing (for whatever reason, economics included) to buy the books can, of course, set their own rules, but if the official rules are published, then it's not unreasonable to "restrict access" to those who paid for the books.  I would expect a RQ post on "how do you build martial maneuvers?" to be answered "These rules are in the Martial Arts book", not "hey, let me lay out that major section of our book for free - hope those of you who shelled out the bucks for the book are not offended!"

It does beg the question whether it was reasonable for me to ask here, rather than look it up, but I think there will always be some "fair comment" from copywritten sources in these discussions.  Any discussion of the rules will be referring to a copywritten source, even if only the core rules, or a Complete book.