Please help a newbie figuring what the attributes are all about

VRossi

I saw that there are some rules for improving the "participation" of the attributes on skills, but using something like 7+(Attribute/2) would seriously unbalance the game for a fantasy setting on 175 character points?

We sometimes use 8+(Char/3) or 8+(Char/4) for heroic games, especially modern games where everyone tends to fall in the 13-18 range - it adds a little more granularity to things. But I would second the suggestion that you try the standard rules at least once before you start tinkering with them too much. Characteristics do a lot more than just Skill Rolls, as has been discussed.

I seem to remember reading somewhere a rule for using INT as a tie-breaker for Initiative for characters with equal DEX.

6e2 p19. That's a fairly common house rule; certainly quicker than making DEX Rolls every Phase.

Also: we have a house rule that when spending XP you can't raise a CHAR more than 1 point* at a time, rather than jumping straight to the next breakpoint. So in initial character creation, we see a lot of scores min-maxed at the breakpoints, but they don't stay there long.

* Or 1 XP for STUN & END.

I second Goodwin's suggestion of trying the system as designed before introducing house rules.  You could say to get to the next effective level of strength is 5 points, but that can lose some interesting role playing effects, like only having the player buy 1 point of strength per week the character exercises.  They slowly get stronger (or smarter etc).

If you really want to make it more granular, I would suggest taking out the bell curve and use a linear line instead.  Exchange the 3d6 with a d20.  All stat base rolls of 9+(STAT/5) would become STAT based. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you're interested in giving some more insight into what a newbie isn't seeing in the rules at first glance, here's another thread I started: http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/94641-problems-with-fantasy-hero-complete-and-newbies/

We're discussing what someone who is new to the Hero System might need more help with.