Raiden Z - Mecha Hero

Jkeown

Right, well, a PDF won't attract much attention on Kickstarter without compelling artwork to go along with the pitch. If Kickstarter funds are going to be used to put all the finishing touches on the book, then I think artwork needs to come first, even if it isn't final artwork.

Of course, there is no indication that Jkeown has any intention of turning it into a real product...

None at all. I do not do HERO for money (Chris Goodwin can tell you that!). I do HERO for HERO. I do it for you guys, and my local group who I've been GMing for (guessing here) 30-something years. For what its worth, I think giant robots are silly, and so are giant bugs and all this other stuff. That's why I do it, It could never happen in Real Life so I bring it to the table, free of charge. I have tons of this stuff, books hundreds of pages in length, and no intention of ever making a dime off of it.  

PS - I recommend picking up Robot Warriors on PDF if you don't have it already.  $4.99 at the Hero Games store.

I have it. Been sitting on my shelf for years waiting for me to write this. I started it finally last week, to try to engage a friend who I can't seem to reach with my more recent offerings. He tries, I try, but I just can't give him the look and feel of a game lately. I think he's depressed or something. I'm on a new drug to treat my own struggle (it is obviously working). 

I also have plans for a cyber-western (The Wired West using Cyber Hero), and Caleon 1337, a magical cyberpunk ala Shadowrun, set in my steampunk world's future.  For now, Raiden Z seems to excite him, and my playtest game yesterday shook out some bugs (notably in the areas of Power Plants and Targeting Aids). So there will be an update later today or tomorrow.

I think giant robots (ala Transformers) are silly too. However, I think large mechs (ala Battletech) are very cool, even if they are a ridiculous solution to a reasonable military problem. Battlemechs aren't robots, they are anthropomorphic AFVs, a distinction that I feel is kind of important.

To wit, I prefer the idea of mechs as vehicles you pilot, rather than (giant) suits you wear, and as long as mechs aren't brandishing swords or spears or engaging in any martial arts nonsense, I'll gladly join a campaign. But if you make mechs (and their pilots) into giant proxies for samurai, I'm out.

I think giant robots (ala Transformers) are silly too. However, I think large mechs (ala Battletech) are very cool, even if they are a ridiculous solution to a reasonable military problem. Battlemechs aren't robots, they are anthropomorphic AFVs, a distinction that I feel is kind of important.

To wit, I prefer the idea of mechs as vehicles you pilot, rather than (giant) suits you wear, and as long as mechs aren't brandishing swords or spears or engaging in any martial arts nonsense, I'll gladly join a campaign. But if you make mechs (and their pilots) into giant proxies for samurai, I'm out.

I can dig that. I almost left out melee weapons and "Mekajutsu" (1 pt - Use Art with Mek). I didn't know what my players would want. So everything went into the blender. What comes out will hopefully be a big recipe book for any sort of Giant AFV game folks want to play.

• 1 month later...