• 3,323 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

Anesthesia

Strength: 11

Endurance: 10 (11 at level 3)

Agility: 13 (14 at level 3)

Intelligence: 13 (14 at level 3)

Charisma: 12

Paralysis Ray: Range 20 (22 at Level 3). PR=7. Successful hit causes unconsciousness.

Weight: 90 lbs

Basic Hits: 2

Modified Hits: 3

Healing: .6

Accuracy Modifier: +1

Damage Modifier: +1

Detect Hidden/Danger: 10/14

Carrying Capacity: 105 lbs

Base Hand to Hand Damage: 1d3

Power: 47 (50 at level 3)

Movement: 34 (36 at level 3)

Advancement:

+1 Intelligence

+1 Inventing Attempt and reroll

+1 Endurance

+1 Agility

Invention:  Dream Scope.  If attached to a sleeping person shows what they are dreaming about.  

Anesthesia is the half-human daughter of Hypnos, the god of sleep and has inherited his power to grant restful sleep.  

Notes:  This is the one I've been waiting for, the character who rolls the 1 in six chance of the minimum number of powers. So is she useless?  Not hardly.  Actually her sleep ray is extremely useful against massively powerful opponents.  Sure they get a percentage chance of waking up equal to their endurance per action phase they spend sleeping or per attack on them while asleep, but temporarily disabling a heavy hitter makes her a highly effective team mate...unless she gets knocked out, which can happen pretty easily since not only are her hit points low, but her attack eats up big chunks of her power, reducing her ability to soak damage.  So she's a glass cannon.  The rules actually encourage fudging the abilities of these one trick ponies to make them a bit more effective but Anesthesia has plenty of ability to contribute as is.  She just has to be used tactically.  She's most effective when she's on a team up against a single powerhouse character.  

• wcw43921 likes this

Is, "I'm just that awesome" really an origin?

#22 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,323 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:20 AM

Photonik

Strength: 11 (14 at level 17)

Endurance: 14 (19 at level 17)

Agility: 20 (26 at level 17)

Intelligence: 22 (24 at level 17)

Charisma: 09 (15 at level 17)

Light Control: Range 40 (200 feet) (52 at Level 17), 2d8 damage for PR=1, Area effect flash attack, Light Defense against purely physical attacks for PR=1

Flight 154 mph (266 mph at level 17)

Heightened Intelligence A: +10

Heightened Defense

Heightened Agility A: +13

Prejudice

170 lbs

Base Hits: 4

Modified Hits: 9 (40 at level 17)

Healing: 1.2 (2.0 at level 17

Accuracy Modifier: +2 (+3 at level 17)

Damage Modifier: +5 (+6 at level 17)

Detect Hidden/Danger: 16/20%

Carrying Capacity: 232 lbs (395 at level 17)

Base HTH damage: 1d4 (1d6 at level 17)

Power: 67 (83 at level 17)

Movement: 45 (59 at level 17)

Reaction 0 (-2 at level 17)

Rookie Photonik is an enthusiastic and capable aspiring superhero. Even starting out he's an effective flying zapper who can dazzle or blast opponents with respectable damage, adequate accuracy, and is quite good at not getting hit. Experienced Photonik is a bitter outcast who is terrifyingly capable, but ended up repeatedly blamed again and again for collateral damage, getting into misunderstanding fights with other heroes, accused of crimes committed by an imposter and suspected of pocketing money at crime scenes. He's seriously considering becoming the criminal he's been accused of being even as he saved lives and stopped bad guys.   

Notes:  This time I rolled very high on the NPC level generation.  "Prejudice" is the disadvantage that V&V had to represent Spider-Man.  No matter whether you are hero or villain, people react to you like you're on the other side unless they make a percentage die roll versus intelligence.   But if you have a Charisma between 9 and 12 that's meaningless because there's no reaction modifier.  The problem is the more you let people see you do stuff, the more your charisma drifts out of that "safe" zone

#23 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,323 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

Discard:

Strength: 13

Endurance: 15

Agility: 09

Intelligence: 10

Charisma: 12

Forcefield

Natural Weaponry +1/+2

Size Change: Larger

Weakness Detection

Low Self Control

130 lbs/442 lbs

Notes:  OK...this one just isn't working.  No matter how I figure it, she just isn't an effective character without changing what I rolled.  As a size change character her agility is so penalized she can't hit.  As a forcefield character she's be better off grabbing a gun.  This is my first discard out of 16 characters.  Of course the possibility of this is why, when I actually ran Villains and Vigilantes, I had each player roll three characters and pick the one they liked best.  

#24 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,024 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:59 AM

Clonus, Im enjoying the thread!
The main object of the game is for the players and the GM to have fun. Champions 3rd ed. Pg 130

#25 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,024 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:03 AM

Clonus is V&V easy to run? Im always in the look out for easy pickup game for my kids.
The main object of the game is for the players and the GM to have fun. Champions 3rd ed. Pg 130

#26 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,323 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

Easier than Hero or GURPS and it has a large selection of prepackaged modules you can buy and download from rpg.com.  It's worth mentioning that there's a third edition of V&V in the works that may or may not fix some long-standing issues.  It was kickstarted and will probably be out before the end of the year.  You may also be interested in FASERIP, an update of the Marvel Superhero Roleplaying Game that is available as a free download at rpg.com.  

Note that V&V uses polyhedral dice.  

#27 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,323 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Dybbuk

Strength: 08

Endurance: 08 (09 at level 6)

Agility: 14 (15 at level 6)

Intelligence: 09 (12 at level 6)

Charisma: 08

4 powers

Non-Corporealness: PR=4 per hour

Paralysis Ray: PR=7, knocks targets unconscious, Range 16 (18 at level 6)

Psionics: Can inhabit and control any unconscious living body with a successful Mind Control attack. Remains in control until victim is injured back into unconsciousness, mind controlled into “waking up”, is hit by a non-corporeal attack that does knockback, runs out of his own fatigue is knocked out by mental damage (which will damage Dybbuk, not the possessed victim)

Low Self Control: Must turn solid after leaving a body or after failing to possess a body.

180 lbs.

Basic Hits: 4

Modified Hits: 3 (6 at level 6)

Healing: .8 (1.0 at level 6)

Accuracy Modifier: +1 (+2 at level 6)

Damage Modifier: +1

Detect Hidden/Danger: 8/12%

Carrying Capacity: 118 lbs

Base HTH Damage: 1d3

Power: 39 (42 at level 6)

Movement: 30 (33 at level 6)

Reaction: -2 (0 at level 6)

+1 Intelligence

+1 Charisma and Reroll

+1 Intelligence

+1 Endurance

+1 Agility

+1 Intelligence

Dybbuk has the power to turn desolid, and possess people and uses it to experience a wide variety of pleasures he can't afford, lacks the physical capability to do, or doesn't dare risk in his own body.   

#28 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,323 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

Speed Freak

Strength: 23 (24 at level 8)

Endurance: 16 (19 at level 8)

Agility: 22 (23 at level 8)

Intelligence 11 (13 at level 8)

Charisma: 07 (09 at level 8)

Weakness Detection +4 to hit after spending one action in close proximity.

Willpower B: +9 Agility

Hi Endurance B +7

Heightened Speed: +750, +25 to initiative rolls.

Hi Strength A +12

Special Requirement: Must be injured, emotion controlled into anger or fear or on stimulants to use his Speed.

140 lbs

Basic Hits 3

Modified Hits: 22 (32 at level 8)

Healing: 1.2

Accuracy Modifier: +4

Damage Modifier: +2

Detect Hidden/Danger: 8/12%

Carrying Capacity: 964 lbs (1,100 lbs)

Basic Hand to Hand Damage: 1d10

Power 72 (79 at level 8

Movement: 811, 184 mph (817 at level 8 185 mph)

Reaction Mod: -2

Advancement

+1 Endurance

+1 Agility

+1 Strength\

+1 Endurance

+1 Charisma

+1 Charisma

+1 Intelligence

+1 Intelligence

+1 Endurance

As a rookie Speed Freak is just a high velocity snatch and grab thief looking to feed his habit. The experienced Freak has been to prison, now has criminal contacts, and is willing to hire himself out to groups and organizations.   

Notes:  Ah the speedster.  The extra actions can annoy other players as they have to wait for their turn.  

#29 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,323 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:57 PM

Darkscream

Strength: 09 (12 at level 12)

Endurance: 28 (30 at level 12)

Agility: 10 (13 at level 12)

Intelligence 07 (10 at level 12)

Charisma: 07 (11 at level 12)

Emotion Control: Awe, everyone in front of him to a range of 7, PR 8 (Range 10 at Level 12)

Sonic Abilities: Range 18, 1d12 damage, PR=1 (Range 24 at level 12)

Weakness Detection: Combat bonus of +3

Heightened Endurance A +16

220 Lbs

Basic Hits 5

Modified Hits: 13 (30 at level 12)

Healing Rate: 4

Accuracy Modifier: 0

Damage Modifier: -1 (0 at level 12)

Detect Hidden/Danger: 6/11% (8/12% at level 12

Carrying Capacity: 388 (520 at level 12)

Basic Hand to Hand Damage: 1d6 (1d8 at level 12)

Power: 54 (66 at level 12)

Movement: 47 (56 at level 12)

Reaction: -2

Rookie Darkscream is a dim wannabe rocksinger with an inexplicable ability to ace auditions and wow crowds in small venues, but plagued by the fact that he can't sell recordings to save his life, and and he invariably flops in large arenas. Because honestly without the emotion control he sucks and his range is limited. In a fight he's a pretty good brawler and a big guy who can take a hit, and can do damage by focusing his voice. Experienced Darkscream has learned a thing or two about singing and fighting and is a much tougher combatant. He uses his concert tours as cover for his heists.   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Superhero, random roll