Superhero random roll

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,468 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:49 AM

I was using one of the generators at Seventh Sanctum.

Erg.  Random(ish) characters I'm good with.  Random names...not so much.  Names require thought.  I often end up delaying posting for a few hours until an actually good one comes to me.  

Is, "I'm just that awesome" really an origin?

#82 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,182 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:59 AM

That's because she didn't roll any modifiers to her stats.  They all remained at the same pathetic level because she rolled under 50 each time.  I was...irritated.  Mind you she was a kind of interesting NPC.  I might write her up in a design-driven system and maker her a little less sad.  

I see! The joys of random FASERIP. I think Icons gives a bit better results, though with their tables I always seem to get a ton of repeat rolls when I try rolling up a batch of random characters.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#83 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

• 12,182 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:04 AM

Golden Heroes would be a good one to do for this thread.

This Week in MMOs

#84 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,468 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

Golden Heroes would be a good one to do for this thread.

And I used to own it!  But, no more.  I have considered asking someone who has it to do some guest rolling.  But I've also downloaded the retroclone Codename:  Spandex and I'll also be doing something with Basic Squadron U.K.  

#85 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,468 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:12 AM

October Mourning

Otherworldly

Prowess: 6 (Maximum Human_

Coordination: 3 (Typical)

Strength: 5 (Exceptional)

Intellect: 2 (Below Average)

Awareness: 4 (Above Average)

Psyche: 5 (Exceptional)

Stamina: 10

Determination: 4

Astral Detection 6 Able to see astral entities while solid

Astral Projection 5 Able to leave her body

Specialities

Occult Expert 3 +3 effective intellect when dealing with the supernatural.

Qualities

Astral Native

Epithet: “The Twilight Girl”

Motivation: Desire to be Free

Pretty.Spooky

Drawbacks

Runaway Teenager

Amnesiac

Fish Out of Water

Enemy: “The Forsaken”

On Halloween a teenage girl died, and something from Outside slipped in and took possession of the vacated property. There were some glitches in the process, she had access to neither the memories of her host nor her own memories. She could no longer remember what she was running from when she took refuge in a physical realm. Hunted both by her body's former family and by supernatural agents of someone who called himself “The Forsaken”, she wandered from place to place, attracting trouble whereever she went with her apparent vulnerability and the way she knew both too much and too little.

Notes: She relies heavily on her determination to do stunts like pulling other people into the Astral Plane and seeing peoples “souls” with her Astral Detection. She could be used as a plot device to take a PC group into her home plane for an adventure.

#86 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,468 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:11 AM

Extreme

Prowess 6

Coordination 5

Strength: 5

Intellect: 5

Awareness: 6

Psyche 3

Stamina 8

Determination: 3

Super Speed 4

Super Senses (Additional Sense/Radar)

Flight 4

Specialities

Martial Arts 1

Stealth 1

Athletics 1

Qualities

Motivation: Thrill Seeker

“Born to Be Wild”

Makes it up as he goes.

Challenges

Doesn't give a damn about his bad reputation

Girl chaser

Here's an interesting set of abilities. I could have taken advantage of the “bonus” powers that Superspeed offers like vibrating through walls instead of continuing to roll. I didn't, because Superspeed 4 is pretty weak. It's not the Flash (Superspeed 10). It's not even Quicksilver (who started out at about Superspeed 6). It might be a bit more than the speed limit inside a city. And since this is a gimmick character, we're looking at...Iron Man's roller skates. So I rolled again and got Super Senses. Cool, so googles with a radar imaging HUD. That's handy for a guy who is basically fighting crime with two fists and a passion for justice. If you don't have a ranged attack, having a sensory advantage at night is a good way to even the odds. Then I rolled...Flight. Problem. This totally negates the utility of Superspeed. Flight does everything Superspeed does and more. Superspeed's advantage is that you can do Flash style power stunts with it...but I don't like those stunts for a gimmick character whose speed isn't that impressive.

So what I would do if I were making this character as player is suggest to the GM that the Flight and the Speed be combined,so that he has +2 Speed (as if he rolled the power a second time) and can “fly” but only about six inches above the ground. He has “hover boots”. Traveling over water is still a power stunt for him, because it doesn't have a solid surface to repel. With an increased speed of 6 he can move faster than a race car, although still slower than the speed of sound (which is 7). He zooms around the city looking for bad guys to punch. That's the plan anyway. Or possibly he does smash and grab crimes. If he's a hero, he's not a very good hero, easily distracted by hitting on women, even female villains. If he's a villain, he's not a very bad villain. He doesn't kill and he doesn't have any grandiose plans.

#87 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,468 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

Celestine

Gimmick Character

Prowess: 4
Coordination: 4
Strength: 7
Intellect: 4
Awareness: 6
Psyche: 6

Stamina: 13
Determination 5

Wizardry: 3 (Magic Sword)  Can use ANY power as a power stunt, but only at level 3
Forcefield
Healing

Specialties

Sharp Weapons Expert   2
Leadership 1

Qualities

Secret Identity:  Mild Mannered Store Owner
Connection:  Cop boyfriend
Unearthly Beauty...in hero form
Motivation:  Compassion

Challenges

Wimpy Alter Ego (Strength 2) needs dagger/sword to transform.    
Weakness:  Wizardry doesn't work versus things made out of or covered with human remains and grave dirt
Enemy:  Necromant

#88 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

• 12,182 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:35 AM

Are you taking advantage of the rule to swap two of the attributes with each other on the Icons writeups? I find that tweak helps even out the aesthetics a bit, like swapping your STR and INT on the last guy. (Unless I'm misremembering the rules. I'm pretty sure Icons lets you do that.)

This Week in MMOs

#89 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,468 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

Are you taking advantage of the rule to swap two of the attributes with each other on the Icons writeups? I find that tweak helps even out the aesthetics a bit, like swapping your STR and INT on the last guy. (Unless I'm misremembering the rules. I'm pretty sure Icons lets you do that.)

I am but Celestine is a pretty lame wizard given that she rolled a three for it and it's her only power.  If I removed her strength she'd have no attack capability and she rolled a 2 for Prowess.  So instead I switched out her prowess and intend to give her "wimpy alter ego" as a weakness.  She needs her sword to transform.   I boosted her Intellect up with the 2 points she gets for being a gimmick hero.  

• Pattern Ghost likes this

#90 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

• 12,182 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

Sorry for asking you all these questions that are obvious. I just like seeing the thought process involved. :D

This Week in MMOs

#91 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,468 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:22 AM

Daemonic

Prowess: 5

Coordination 2

Strength: 5

Intellect: 6

Awareness: 4

Psyche 6

Stamina 11

Determination 1

Dimensional Travel 5 Can reliably teleport between dimensions, and anywhere in visual range

Teleport 5 

Energy Drain 5 Can drain opponent's stamina, potentally lethally and add it to his own by touch

Life Drain

Stunning 4 Can render opponents unable to move (resisted by Will)

Images 8 Can create duplicate images of himself to confuse foes

Specialties

Power Expert 2 Increased chance to hit with Stunning attack

Qualities

Devilishly seductive

Motivation: Indulgence in all of the vices

Weaknesses

Enemy: Celestine

Can be bound or repelled by occult means

A a half-human half-demon who regards our plane of existence as a buffet of pleasures.  Food, wine, sex, drugs and above all superhuman victims to slake his thirst for life force.  He prefers superhumans because they have so much more.  He's put several of them in the hospital.  

Notes:  This is the first character I've rolled up using the Icons expansion "With Great Power".  That the character happened to roll the maximum number of powers possible for a starting character however, is a coincidence.

#92 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,468 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:26 AM

Mirabilis

Gimmick

Prowess: 5

Coordination 5

Strength: 3

Intellect: 9

Awareness: 5

Psyche: 5

Stamina:   8

Determination:  3

Gadgets 8

1. Attribute Linked

(E) Teleportation 8.  Can teleport hundreds of miles.  

(E) Instant Gadgeteering

Specialities

Electronics: 1 +1 Intellect to invent and modify electronic devices

Leadership 1

Qualities

Motivation: Curiosity

Catchphrase: This isn't heroics. It's field work!

Connection: Alien Princess

Smartest Man on Earth

Connection: Superhero team

Weaknesses

Enemy: Professor Meridian

Violence only as a last resort

Range limit on instant gadgeteering

Mirabilis's gadgeteering is only Instant when he is in teleportation range of his lab, which can teleport already invented gear to him.  Mirabilis is at odds with Meridian because Meridian is infuriated by Mirabilis's reputation as the "smartest man on Earth" and more importantly because he tries to peacefully contact aliens...in fact he sleeps with one.  

#93 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,468 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

Blue Blaze

Birthright

Prowess: 8

Coordination: 5

Strength: 4

Intellect 5

Awareness: 2

Psyche: 6

Stamina: 10

Determination 2

Superspeed 7 Can run at just short of the speed of sound. Can use his speed instead of coordination to evade attack

Spinning 7 Can replace strength for damage, deflect projectiles, escape binding

Regeneration 7 Heal .7 stamina per “page”

Specialties

Sleight of Hand Mastery 3 +3 coordination to pick pockets and do magic tricks. The hand is quicker than the eye.

Athletics. 1

Qualities

Catchphrase: “Think Fast!”

Motivation: Responsibility of Power (hero)/Living Down To People's Expectations (villain)

Secret Identity: Police Officer

Weaknesses

Enemy: Extreme

Unlucky

Social Stigma: Mutant

Notes: I rolled three totally incompatible powers for Blue. Machine Control, Dream Control and Superspeed. However, as of the “With Great Power” supplement I am free to substitute “extras” from the power I like for the powers I don't like. So, not-so-random randomness. I picked super speed just because of the maximum roll “prowess” which makes him able to punch or block with superlative ability.   The rolls were made yesterday, but the decision making took me a while.  

#94 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,468 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

My computer just died.  It will not be possible for me to continue.  

#95 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

• 12,182 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

You should've taken the Machine Control.

Seriously, sorry to hear about the computer death.

This Week in MMOs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Superhero, random roll