Which Fantasy Hero settings would you most like to see updated to 6th Edition?

Jhaierr

Which Fantasy Hero settings would you most like to see updated to 6th Edition?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which Fantasy Hero settings would you most like to see updated to 6th Edition?

• The Atlantean Age
    • Tuala Morn
    • The Turakian Age
    • The Valdorian Age

Really how much change can be done to be something new?

other than updating spells ,monsters and character to 6th ed standard
How much change are we looking at?

10-20% tops

I'd say do a 4$ pdf if it came out to 20%

do new setting ,maybe ravenloft or Cthulu esque
Robin Hood,King Arthor the rennisaunce, crusades, etc

Really how much change can be done to be something new?

other than updating spells ,monsters and character to 6th ed standard

How much change are we looking at?

10-20% tops

I'd say do a 4$ pdf if it came out to 20%

do new setting ,maybe ravenloft or Cthulu esque

Robin Hood,King Arthor the rennisaunce, crusades, etc

Looking at the Turakian Age as an example, it would be updating:

Racial Templates (a.k.a. Package Deals) (~15)

Characters in the margins in the Realms of Ambrethel chapter (~23), plus a few more Templates

Professional Templates (~21)

Paladin Powers (~11)

Spells and Enchanted Items (~132!!)

Enemies, Allies, and Monsters full characters (~13)

References to 5E products

The spells alone are about 12.5% pages of the book. Of course, there are other fiddly parts that might need to be tweaked that this list doesn't cover. Probably not very much, but I'm sure they are there.

Tuala Morn is similar to the Turakian Age. Lots of characters/monsters and spells that are unique to that world. The same with the Atlantean Age.

The book that seems like it would be the easiest to update is the Valdorian Age. I believe there are only about 31 spells, some Templates, a dozen character sheets, and a dozen or so Fighting Tricks that would need to be updated. Plus you'd have to update how Sorcery is constructed. 

I know that I buy fantasy modules all the time simply for the artwork and maps that they come with that I then often use for other systems...

Like Doc Democracy, I haven't read any of the FH settings. (Not since Western Shores, anyway.) Also like DD, I sometimes buy Fantasy products in hopes I can strip-mine them for maps and "bits" I can adapt and use for my own settings and games. (I am usually disappointed. Lookin' at you, MERP.) So how would people rate the listed FH setting books from this POV? Which have the most material -- maps, especially -- that could be used without reference to the settings themselves?

Dean Shomshak

Like Doc Democracy, I haven't read any of the FH settings. (Not since Western Shores, anyway.) Also like DD, I sometimes buy Fantasy products in hopes I can strip-mine them for maps and "bits" I can adapt and use for my own settings and games. (I am usually disappointed. Lookin' at you, MERP.) So how would people rate the listed FH setting books from this POV? Which have the most material -- maps, especially -- that could be used without reference to the settings themselves?

Dean Shomshak

I felt like Turakian Age had a decent amount of system neutral material to be mined, but not many maps or much setting neutral material. Fantasy Hero Battlegrounds​ had a fair bit of setting & system neutral maps and descriptions. Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Campaign has some pretty nice maps of generic fantasy buildings which are setting & system neutral. There are also lots of game elements from the Downtime System which could be adapted to Fantasy Hero​ fairly painlessly if you are also using the price lists from Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Equipment as a basis for your economy. If I recall, both Pathfinder RPG GameMastery Guide​ and Ultimate Campaign have all sorts of neat random tables for generating flavorful content which isn't setting or system specific (for example, tavern menus, dungeon decorations, random character back stories).

I agree that Fantasy Hero Battlegrounds has the best collection of generic fantasy maps among Hero Games books. Providing such things was one of the goals behind its publication. But if you'd like to assess for yourself whether the setting books have maps which are usable for your purposes, the maps from both the Turakian and Valdorian Age books have been collected for free download from the Hero Games website: http://www.herogames.com/forums/files/category/9-maps/

As long as we're on the subject, I should mention that years ago the Hero Games website offered free downloads of colored maps of the Turakian Age world of Ambrethel, in different sizes, as well as a geographic (textless) version of said map. Although the website no longer hosts them, they're still available from Internet Archive-d pages from the site: http://web.archive.org/web/20061209203751/http://www.herogames.com/FreeStuff/wallpapers.htm

BTW that whole Free Stuff section includes other very cool items, worth looking over: http://web.archive.org/web/20061217215554/http://www.herogames.com/FreeStuff/freestuffherogames.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Turakian Age always felt to me like "Generic D&D world, but for Hero." Workmanlike, well-built, but nothing really original, and nothing likely to draw new players to the system. Honestly I'm not sure I even have a copy.

Valdorian Age had some good stuff, but similarly suffered from being "Generic Conanesque City, but for Hero." But I did steal their Demonology system for my current low FH game.

Atlantean Age was a neat idea and a real opportunity to show off what Hero can do at high levels. But it just didn't grab me; not sure I can articulate why.

So I voted for Tuala Morn, which is my favorite setting that I've never actually played in. But I really enjoyed just reading the book, and someday, someday, I'll run it. Yeah, it did suffer from being kindof a high-level overview, and it may be the only book Steve Long ever wrote that I felt was too short. :winkgrin: But some great ideas. If they'd had better art and a shiny Celticized cover to jump out at people, I think that setting might've actually sold. (I don't care much about art personally, but from a marketing perspective it's vital.)

Honestly, the FH setting I'd most like to see fleshed out and updated is the Revelations 1001 "mini-setting" from Post-Apocalyptic Hero. Mainly because that's what I'm running currently and I've spent the last year building it out. A truly original idea that's not like every other D&D setting out there, and some interesting opportunities to show off what you can do with Hero if you commit to certain "switches."

How about this, just throwing it out there.  Give people 3 versions of each class. Have 7-9 classes.   Hide the numbers.  That's right.  If someone has a spell, no (-1/2 limitation)... just write out the limitation.  No character points, None of that.  Allow them to pick a few different options on each character that cost the same amount of points.  

Then in the back, show the math, direct them to how everyone can tweak the game to their liking using the hero system.  

Same with monsters, don't show the math, have that as an online resource.  

Presentation is SO key when providing a new game world.  The fluff and the mechanics need to go hand in hand, but not every single thing needs to be delineated out.  

How about this, just throwing it out there.  Give people 3 versions of each class. Have 7-9 classes.   Hide the numbers.  That's right.  If someone has a spell, no (-1/2 limitation)... just write out the limitation.  No character points, None of that.  Allow them to pick a few different options on each character that cost the same amount of points.  

Then in the back, show the math, direct them to how everyone can tweak the game to their liking using the hero system.  

Same with monsters, don't show the math, have that as an online resource.  

Presentation is SO key when providing a new game world.  The fluff and the mechanics need to go hand in hand, but not every single thing needs to be delineated out.  

Did you intend for this to be in a different thread?

• 7 months later...

I started with Kythros, Saduria, and the Rumallan Empire and never left them. I bought the others, but I expanded upon FH 1E so much its hard to think of it as the work of another now. I don't think I'd buy a new setting at this point.

I don't suppose you have a reproduction hexmap of Saduria? I am looking at making a better map but the hexes in my copy are nearly illegible.