• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,680 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

Hello Herophiles!

In years past, Question Man used to post an annual thread that provided a space for us to introduce gaming-related projects that we are working on or intend to work on. I'm posting this down in General Roleplaying so that any gaming projects (not just Hero-related) can be brought up.

So what is your 2017 Gaming Project?

• TheQuestionMan likes this

#2 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,438 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

Mine is simple, simple idea if not simple in execution.

A four scenerio Champions intro game using Grab and pregen Heroes.
  • Nolgroth, assault and Brian Stanfield like this

To Assume, To make an A$$ out of U and Me.

No I didn't deliberately make a moronic statement designed to start a flame war. I'm just BBS Challenged.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne

#3 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

• 9,680 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

I am working on two mini-settings for Fantasy Hero. The first setting, which I am calling Viranduin is something I have been tinkering with the last year or two, but was forestalled by the unfortunate intrusion of mundane needs like rebuilding my career after a corporate buyout left me unemployed. Well that and, admittedly, a compulsive desire to play video games. :D

Viranduin is a pretty standard Medieval Fantasy setting. I wanted it to be a simplified, easy to get into setting to serve as a background for a couple of adventure scenarios I plan(ned?) on creating. My current status with that lies with a complete regional map and....not much else. I have been debating whether or not I wanted to use FATE or Hero before developing the rest of the setting. I've settled on Hero and will continue work when my mind gets back around to traditional European fantasy.

My other project literally started two or three days ago, though it is something that I have started and stopped many times over the years. I've always loved the Dark Sun setting for D&D and wanted to make an homage to that setting for a while. I even had a map at one point, but the map was not quite right. So that project sat idle until just lately when I had the idea of combining the concept of the Annunaki (Zacharia Sitchen's Ancient Aliens mythos) with Dark Sun.

Currently I have created the basic terrain map for the setting. Like Dark Sun, I wanted a metal-poor world. I always thought that Dark Sun would have been even more poignantly stark if it was once ruled by gods and then abandoned. I've also wanted to do a setting where the world was once ruled by beings that were effectively evil and now was free of that influence. This allowed for both scenarios at once. Being as their are no actual deities, there are no empowered priests. This is truly a low-fantasy world in every sense. Magic, though present almost everywhere, is minor. Swords are uncommon, being as all metal is preciously rare. Weapons are more akin to hunter-gatherer weapons (bows, spears, stone axes, etc.) and armor is usually boiled leather, bolstered by bits of bone or chitin. In other words, a world that only briefly experienced an iron age and then, only under the harsh whip of enslavement. If there are metal weapons, they are rare and legendary items. 

I'll stop there and maybe create a Fantasy Hero thread to go any further.

• Burrito Boy likes this

#4 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 6,171 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

The Jolrhos Field Guide, covering details of the fantasy world setting I am putting out like trade skills, metals, plants, herbs, weather, etc.

At least one larger adventure book, if possible

One small short adventure book

Work on the Champions Begins project

• Nolgroth and Brian Stanfield like this

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Two Kings Keep

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more                               Kestrel Arts on Twitter                           Kestrel Arts on Facebook

#5 TheDarkness

TheDarkness

Negative of His Only Known Picture

• 1,281 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

Continuiing work on a points based rpg I'm designing and a fantasy setting for it. Going along pretty well, although after getting my new computer, I pulled up a file off my external hard drive on the combat system, then opened a blank word file and somehow managed to save that as the file on the combat system, overwriting the whole thing.

Really hoping that I can go to open Word on my old computer and it has a recovered version of that file. I can recreate it all in a more organized way, but I really don't want to have to.

• Nolgroth likes this

#6 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

• 9,680 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Continuiing work on a points based rpg I'm designing and a fantasy setting for it. Going along pretty well, although after getting my new computer, I pulled up a file off my external hard drive on the combat system, then opened a blank word file and somehow managed to save that as the file on the combat system, overwriting the whole thing.

Really hoping that I can go to open Word on my old computer and it has a recovered version of that file. I can recreate it all in a more organized way, but I really don't want to have to.

Hope you find that file. Losing my original desert map image sucked too. I was just able to come up with something I thought fit better. Just took a whole evening to get to the same point, relatively speaking, as the first map. Now comes the part I hate the most; iconography and labeling. 

#7 TheDarkness

TheDarkness

• 1,281 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

Hope you find that file. Losing my original desert map image sucked too. I was just able to come up with something I thought fit better. Just took a whole evening to get to the same point, relatively speaking, as the first map. Now comes the part I hate the most; iconography and labeling. 

Did you use some sort of software to make the map? I need to make some maps for the fantasy setting for this game, and I have no idea where to even start. Plus, I need more files to carelessly overwrite, obviously...

Any attempt by me to draw a map would be...regrettable.

#8 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,438 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

Did you use some sort of software to make the map? I need to make some maps for the fantasy setting for this game, and I have no idea where to even start. Plus, I need more files to carelessly overwrite, obviously...

I use Campaign Cartographer by Profantasy.  Depending on the map needed they have a lot of tools that you can use to whip together a nice map.  What kind of map are you looking for?  Area, City etc? 

• Nolgroth likes this

No I didn't deliberately make a moronic statement designed to start a flame war. I'm just BBS Challenged.

#9 TheDarkness

TheDarkness

• 1,281 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

First, area, but I plan on doing a city map as well, as well as a sort of common walled town eventually.

#10 assault

assault

Exenor!

• 6,143 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:02 PM

Mine is simple, simple idea if not simple in execution.

A four scenerio Champions intro game using Grab and pregen Heroes.

Ditto, except not Grab.

At the moment I'm working up my pregen heroes. They won't necessarily end up being the final ones I use.

I've currently looking at very loose analogues for the following:

Captain America/Wonder Woman(/Wonder Girl)

Quicksilver/Flash(/Kid Flash)

Scarlet Witch/Zatanna

Hawkeye/Green Arrow(/Speedy)

Wasp/Atom

Vision/Red Tornado

Falcon/Hawkgirl

"Currently" means what it says - what I will be doing once I stop mucking about here. (Not at work today.)

• Nolgroth and Spence like this
The character in my avatar is Captain Atom.

#11 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,438 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

[quote name="TheDarkness" post="2554986" timestamp="1483491281"]

What kind? Coastal, inland, desert, forest?

Scale?

#12 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,438 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

Here is my supers cast:

Normal Name                                        Foundation Occupation             Super Name                 Super Type

Maxwell/Maxine Wentworth                   Private Investigator                   The Detective               Meta-Detective

Robert/Roberta Thompson                    Physics/Engineering                 Atlas                            Brick

Alexander/Alexandria Lockwood            Anthropology/Occult Lore          Avatar                          Mystic Master

Brian/Brenda Ericson                            Electronics/Computers              Arclight                        Energy Projector          

Lee/Lea McClain                                   Psychology/Biology/Medical      PsiStar                         Mentalist         

Patrick/Patricia Takahashi                     Security                                    Jade Fist                      Martial Artist

• assault likes this

#13 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

• 9,680 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

I use GIMP, Photoshop Elements and a terrain program called Wilbur. For cities I use Roleplaying City Generator. I use a lot of the tutorials from the Cartographers Guild, though I often start with those and experiment. I am going to experiment with importing my maps into a vector program in order to label them. GIMP produces some very "jagged" looking results that I don't like.

EDIT: I also use a random island generator, though getting the finished results that I like is a little trickier. Here is the link: http://www-cs-studen...ation/demo.html.

• Pattern Ghost, Christopher R Taylor and Durzan Malakim like this

#14 TheDarkness

TheDarkness

• 1,281 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:16 PM

[quote name="TheDarkness" post="2554986" timestamp="1483491281"]

What kind? Coastal, inland, desert, forest?

Scale?

Well, the first one will be basically the world map, or the chunk of the fantasy world that is known. So one large continent that runs the gamut from mountain chains to deserts to forests and plains, as well as an ocean and the portion of it that is known.

After, I want to do some more detailed maps of the specific regions/kingdoms within that map.

#15 TheDarkness

TheDarkness

• 1,281 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

I use GIMP, Photoshop Elements and a terrain program called Wilbur. For cities I use Roleplaying City Generator. I use a lot of the tutorials from the Cartographers Guild, though I often start with those and experiment. I am going to experiment with importing my maps into a vector program in order to label them. GIMP produces some very "jagged" looking results that I don't like.

Wow! For almost twenty years, parenting meant I really didn't have time to run games, and when my son got into gaming, it was more games like mordheim. I've been amazed, as I've gotten back into gaming, at the resources now available!

#16 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

• 9,680 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

Wow! For almost twenty years, parenting meant I really didn't have time to run games, and when my son got into gaming, it was more games like mordheim. I've been amazed, as I've gotten back into gaming, at the resources now available!

Lots of tools available. I just wish there were one to increase talent. I make some decent maps. Some of those guys at Cartographers Guild make beautiful art.

#17 TheDarkness

TheDarkness

• 1,281 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

Lots of tools available. I just wish there were one to increase talent. I make some decent maps. Some of those guys at Cartographers Guild make beautiful art.

I'm definitely going to check that place out...

#18 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,438 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

Well, the first one will be basically the world map, or the chunk of the fantasy world that is known. So one large continent that runs the gamut from mountain chains to deserts to forests and plains, as well as an ocean and the portion of it that is known.

After, I want to do some more detailed maps of the specific regions/kingdoms within that map.

I use Campaign Cartographer by Profantasy.  Lots of tools and modules. 

#19 Lucius

Lucius

Too Many To List Now!

• 15,348 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

Turakian Age Fate

Lucius Alexander

And a lot of palindromedary taglines
  • Nolgroth likes this

#20 TheDarkness

TheDarkness

• 1,281 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:14 PM

I use Campaign Cartographer by Profantasy.  Lots of tools and modules. 

I'll check it out!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gaming, Projects, Development, Play