Nolgroth

What is Your 2017 Gaming Project?

I've recently been enjoying the W.O.I.N rules - a lifepath based open ended dicepool system from EN World's Russ Morrisey.

My ongoing project is to convert bits from other systems I like into it - whether it be equipment, spells, cyberware, ships, magic items, character abilities or what.

Based on your post, I downloaded the intro pdf from Drivethrurpg. Man do the character sheets look ugly! :)

Not one to solely judge a gaming product based on the character sheets, I want to skim through the rules to get an idea how it works. Your thoughts on the system would be nice to read.

Based on your post, I downloaded the intro pdf from Drivethrurpg. Man do the character sheets look ugly! :)

Not one to solely judge a gaming product based on the character sheets, I want to skim through the rules to get an idea how it works. Your thoughts on the system would be nice to read.

yeah I made my own Character sheet.

In some ways it feels like "greatest hits of other systems" and in others it's very innovative.

Broad basics - system is dice pool system - you add dice and try to beat a target number. It uses nothing but D6 - which I have a lot of playing Hero anyway. :)  System is Lifepath - you gain a career, and it gives you attributes, choices of skill and choice of "exploits". You buy this with experience, you can also buy those individually, but cheaper in a career. Personally if/when I run this, I will require a % to be purchased individually.  I use this as my "not HERO" system. I love Hero, but I always like to also play a game that is very different. Been playing 3.5 and Pathfinder for years for that. This covers similar ground, but more flexible - and a little more "rulings not rules" - so a little looser. But still detailed enough that I enjoy.

Specifics -

• All skill checks are just attribute checks. If you have skills (or equipment) that are applicable you may add those dice as well. Max dice you can roll is based on Rank (# of careers). however that is only for stat, skill, equipment. If you have exploits or situational modifiers, that can exceed the rank limit.
  • Skill are undefined - you can make them up, or pick from examples listed. Skills are not assigned an attribute - the GM will call for an attribute roll for something, and if you have an applicable skill, you mention it, and add it to skill roll. So Climbing could be used in a Dex check to climb, a Logic check to see how hard something would be to climb, or a STR check to hang on to something if you start to fall.
  • That idea was the first idea for a skill system for 5th ed D&D playtesting (back at D&D Next). they got rid of it. I loved that idea. It's sort of the reverse of Savage worlds.
  • System is very open to tinkering - I love that.
  • NEW is the Science fiction game. OLD is fantasy. NOW will be 80's action/adventure. All same system, all scaled similarly for characters - so you can mix and match to make what you want - almost makes it a universal system.
  • The magic system for old is interesting - you have skills (that give you what you can do) and secrets (what you can effect). You make spells from those - so if you have Evoke as a skill, and fire as a secret you can do firebolts, fireballs etc, then if you get "Ice" as a secret, you can start doing the same with ice. The system really makes it difficult to be a "master of all magics" - which is fine with me.  Overall fantasy feels more like FH than D&D - very few "I win" spells.
  • It has an OGL, and is open, so anyone can make supplements.
  • New idea - Countdown pool - if you have a time limit, but don't want to have it exact (to raise tension) - you set up a number of dice - and at the end of the round, you roll it. remove any 1s. Repeat until pool is empty. That is when whatever happens, happens.

It is restrictive in ways (which I want in a Non-Hero game), but much much more flexible than class/level systems, and it was built to be universal, even though it isn't a universal system - each game is specific. Although they fit together better much more than 3rd edition hero books did. although there are some changed attributes - Mostly Magic vs Psi vs Chi, it is a system, not a game engine.

When I read it, it reminded me of pieces of Traveller (lifepath), Savage Worlds, D&D, D6 and others, but the parts work together wonderfully, and has lots of really nice touches.

The writing is very conversational - makes it easy to read (as opposed to formal reference book).

The PDFs of both OLD and NEW are on sale for 10 bucks each right now - OLD just came out this week. The SRD for it is at www.woinrpg.com

I did kickstarter this last year, so I do have a bias. :)

Edit to note - there are narritive elements to the system, but not in specific gameplay, more in background feel. The "heroes in war" system is not a wargame with armies, but the battle has "victory points" and start at 10. Each day the PC's side loses 3 victory points. PC go on mini adventures (destroy those catapults, take out this special unit, etc), and those game victory points. So you aren't running the actual battle as a simulationist would, it's all focused on the story of the PCs. A number of systems reflect this approach.

The two games I think feel the closest (not necessarily by mechanics, but in overall feel) to it are Fantasy Age and Savage World.

Edit 2- combat.

Pretty comfortable if you play hero. You have a skill with weapons, and add STR or AGI (HtH) or STR or Intuition (Ranged). Defense is calculated based on Agil (or Will for magic/Sci) and appropriate skills are added. Dice pool has to be greater pr equal to target def. SOAK acts are armor in Hero. HPs are lower - the game can easily be very lethal - although there are rules for Cinematic mode that help. Stress tracks that move when an attack is a crit (3 6s among the dice pool). Positioning and cover are important - big mods there - The writer wanted a fairly tactical base setup - you can just ignore those for a more free flow effect.

Well here is what is setup so far on the website for my Dawn of the Third Age of Man campaign.

• Star Systems are loaded
  • Planets associated with star systems loaded
  • Galactic map and quadrant maps are created and loaded.  The Galactic Map has links to the quadrant maps but I haven't added all the links from the quadrant maps to the specific star systems yet.
  • Major and Minor Governments

Technical problems are solved now it is just content to fill in and I will be ready to run.

Turns out I will be running this starting in May and thru the summer.

One of the things I got to work on my campaign website has to do with star maps and linking the star systems to the detailed information about each system.  Here is one of the 'quadrants'.

I have also uploaded information about how to create characters and some of the equipment that is available (under Metagaming menu).

Getting excited.

Just some little cool bits I liked in WOIN -

In the experience per encounter chapter (not run by specific monsters just "was it a difficult encounter/trap/plot point) - it states, for combat "if the fight is easy because of player tactics and preparation give them full XP" - paraphrased.

You have equipment dice (representing well made, or magic or whatnot) - you cannot use more dice bonus than your skill. So if you only have +1d6 to your roll because of skill.. even if the item is +5d6, you can't take full advantage of that bonus because you just aren't good enough.

There are lots of little things like that spread throughout that I just like. Part of why I am really enthusiastic about the game - it seems the designer an I have similar preconceptions and attitudes on stuff.

Just some little cool bits I liked in WOIN -

In the experience per encounter chapter (not run by specific monsters just "was it a difficult encounter/trap/plot point) - it states, for combat "if the fight is easy because of player tactics and preparation give them full XP" - paraphrased.

You have equipment dice (representing well made, or magic or whatnot) - you cannot use more dice bonus than your skill. So if you only have +1d6 to your roll because of skill.. even if the item is +5d6, you can't take full advantage of that bonus because you just aren't good enough.

There are lots of little things like that spread throughout that I just like. Part of why I am really enthusiastic about the game - it seems the designer an I have similar preconceptions and attitudes on stuff.

I haven't gotten around to reading further yet. Been working very hard and varying hours. The few times I picked it up, I fell right to sleep. Not to say that it's boring, but any reading that isn't directly work related at the time of the reading makes me sleepy these days., I will get to it.

I'm in beta testing on a Wonderland-based board game. Not sure it quite qualifies as an RPG, but players play as Wonderland characters, and the Queen of Hearts and Alice are NPCs. I've been invited to bring it to a local game con for intensive beta-testing, and my artists are in place to start on the final design elements. This is pretty exciting stuff as I've been in alpha testing for about 3 years now while I tried to raise money for art!

I kind of fizzled on Ulum. It is still near and dear to my heart, but I think I have to back up and look at the concept from a fresh angle. I have been straining to work on it and that hasn't helped with the fresh perspective thing. So I am shelving it for now.

Then last night another idea hit me. It is certainly not original and the headline would sound like a joke, but what if an evil witch, a vampire, a werewolf and a vengeful spirit made flesh, decided that they were the last hope for the world. Enter the Monstrous Hunters, a dark fantasy series of short adventures with pregenerated characters. I have the character biographies written up (which is hard for me). Now all I have to do is create the Hero and FAE character sheets for them, map out the the first adventure in terms of actual cartography, and finish making the bad guys. The Monstrous Hunters is going to start in the middle of the action and develop from there. No top-down world creation (or very little).

None and some. I'm always doddling with ideas My villain campaign, writing up a group of villans I have in me head with nowhere to put them, and a setting I'm fleshing out with no villain in it yet. But to say I'm working on them is being generous. With the other hero game site, and me never really getting the hang of rpol, I have no where to use them. Even if I could find players interested in doing 5th.

Since the campaign's been around awhile, a couple of the players have never been in (or heard of) some of the earliest Champions modules. So, having gotten permission from the older players, the GMs are redoing some modules for the younger players to go through for the 1st time:

Already done: Raid on Blackgulch (from Adventurers Club magazine)

What Rough Beast (from Adventurers Club magazine)

the Great Supervillain Contest (original & version 2.0. Might even do a ver. 3.0)

To do: The Island of Dr. Destroyer

a few others that I intend to pull out.

And continuing to occasionally create... I guess I'd call them teaser commercials... for the introductions to various game episodes. They vary generally from 30 sec to 4 min.

I am currently developing a Post Apocalyptic campaign Inspired mostly by the old Thundarr cartoons and a little by Palladium's Rifts RPG. The idea is that Man was experimenting with warp drive technology for space ships which damaged the time/space continuum causing random portals to open and close. A horde of monsters and invaders from thousands of these breaches overwhelmed civilization and it collapsed. Additionally, its the 5th age of Man and Elves and Dwarves have been living in the "deep places" of the world, far away from man. They too are overwhelmed by the breaches and end up seeking out the survivors of man in hopes of allies and survival. Magical energies were very low and grossly insufficient to repel the invaders.

Thousands of years later, the breaches are much less frequent. There is a new type of unstable magic that is hard to control but much more powerful or traditional magic without magic rolls that take AP/10 steps down the time chart to cast (low magic levels). Other races, stranded by closed breaches and named by the elves and dwarves for their passing similarities to long extinct races such as gnomes, have become allies of the first three races and all seek to survive in world overrun with monsters and mutants and evil wizards.

It draws inspiration from Fantasy Hero and Post Apocalyptic hero (Shattered Moon setting). The shamans have to bargin with spirits and follow through with the bargains. Magic items are few and crude. Mutants are becoming more common among all races. Why? TBD. The document I have is 270 pages but includes a lot of stuff from other genre & source books that I cribbed to give our game a quick start. I am currently going through every page, adding new stuff and rewriting "borrowed" material to make it actually original material. There is still a long way to go