Ulum: Storms of Fire and Ash - Setting Development

Nolgroth

Interesting thoughts and I shall respond to each one.

Location: This is really a small snapshot of a greater world. My intent was to build a world where the GM can tweak it. If, as you suggest, the campaign area is near one of the poles, that would make it pretty bleak but still basically usable. If the detailed section is closer to the equator, then there may be vibrant parts of the world that the PCs may eventually find. That is beyond the scope of what I am considering, but I wanted to give the GM choice.

Water. I have a very clear idea of where the water is. 

Some metals are very rare (gold, iron, etc.). Other items, such as tin or bronze are more readily available. The god-kings like to flaunt their power so they do waste. They waste food when their subjects starve (well most of them do). They waste water that could irrigate crops just to show how powerful they are. Wasting metal to mint coins is not beyond their wastrel ways. On the other hand, coins may have long since been replaced by beads or some other form of currency. I chose coins because they are immediately familiar. In a world that I am going to drive home the unfamiliar, having a few benchmarks never hurts.

The magic system has not been tested. I've wrestled with the numbers but I was basing the whole system around the concept that +1 = 5 points = +1/4 Advantage. On the other hand, I wanted signs and portents to play a role in boosting/limiting spells, yet still keep the ultimate power in the realm of skill and knowledge. Once I see the system in full application, I may make adjustments.

Metal armor. Now that would be a rare sight. Most armors are crafted from leather, hides, and other products gleaned from the beasts of the area. I even considered lacquered armor. I can envision harder armors causing a higher breakage roll, but I don't want to overdue it. 

I admit, this is a throwback to the Lone Wolf series of books, where the illustration for broadsword look like a short-handled greatsword. There was another book, I cannot remember the title these long years later, that outright defined a broadsword as a greatsword. It was related to the Swords & Sorcery genre of gaming but I'll be darned if I remember what book it was. Maybe one of the Conan adventure modules for D&D. Anyway, I am not married to the name but I liked the idea of something that has its own identify that fits the world.

The good news is that I am probably going to be doing some more development this weekend. Finally have one where I don't have to deal with a dentist laughing maniacally as I scream in pain and panic. Okay, that is a little over the top, but no dentist appointment this weekend. I will be able to leisurely ease into the day and those are my most creative.

Thanks for the feedback. Always good to have another set of eyes....

On the vein of choosing monsters, the following monsters from the Hero System Bestiary would be appropriate for Ulum. Keep in mind that the names and origins of these critters will be different, based on the magical cosmology of the setting, but the stat blocks and general descriptions should work fine. I'll comment on changes for many of them.  I'm focusing on the first part of the book for this post and will come back to Humanoid Monsters for another post.

Agathodaemon: Pretty much as written

Assassin Bug: Instead of a bright green shell, it's shell would appear to be black with iridescent red swirls. They tend to congregate near the Ember seas and are considered Embertouched.

Basilisk: The stat block is great, but instead of appearing as a rooster/serpent amalgamation, it is more like a serpent with short legs on the side, making it look more like a centipede (though fewer legs).

Bat, Giant Vampire: This suits the concept for another creature that I have not named yet. Stats work perfectly.

Butatsch: Change LS: to Safe Environment: Intense Heat  and Expanded Breathing: Ember. Change Water Dweller to Ember Dweller and make the movement Tunneling

Carrion Worm: Remove swimming (or keep it there in case one every ends up in the Underworld)

Chimera: Because it's a cool creature. Just make it the unique result of an insane god-king experiment or something.

Dragon, Wyrm & Wyvern: You can have additional dragon types, but Wyrms fit my imagined theme. These would be the top of most food chains and there may be very few, depending on your campaign tastes.

Dreamstalker: Pretty much as written.

Elementals: Yes, though Water elementals are very rare beings.

Elemental Warriors: Blazeblade and Stonesmasher both look like they could fit as some sort of magical guardian. The others if the scenario supports it.

Giant Frog: Change it to some sort of toad and you're good to go.

Golem: Depending on the materials. Flesh golems are probably the most common and they would be the rare result of experimentation.

Griffin: Another magical experiment gone awry perhaps. Would make a pretty good starter "boss" monster.

Hydra: Another one-off "boss"

Ifrit: Pretty much some sort of Ember creature.

Insects, Giant

Lamia: I have a specific scenario based entirely at glancing at the image. For my game, this will be a one-off monster. That's all I'll say about that.

Lizard, Giant:

Manticore:

Qliphothic Monsters:

Rat, Giant: Giant rats are a staple of fantasy gaming. 

Riding Bird: When I first looked at this entry I dismissed it. Then scenario ideas hit so I decided that it is provisionally included in the setting.

Roc: Without having an ocean setting, the skies become the new place of mystery. A giant bird that appears out of nowhere and devours caravans and settlements is golden.

Salamander: Another Embertouched creature.

Snakes, Fantastic: Some of these are appropriate

• 7 months later...

Been too long since I worked on this. I ran across the map today when I was browsing my files and thought that I should really take the time to finish this out. Looking back over the thread, I realize I was making things too complicated and decided to instead gear this towards a new-ish Hero group.

Much of the backstory is going to remain, but I have decided to discard the extremely low metal world aspect. Dealing with heavy armor and high temperatures should be enough to deter most people from even attempting to use such a thing. Lore-wise, the technology simply doesn't exist. That will drive the setting more towards a more typical Sword and Sorcery style game, but that's okay.

Today, I touched up and finished the map to my satisfaction. I changed the icons for the cities from their coins (see above) to more traditional map markers. I labeled the map as completely as I am going to label it. Finally, I spent a lot of time manually darkening the shadows on the mountain texture to make the ridges, peaks, and valleys a little more identifiable. When working on a map, I always tend to get more story ideas, so I think I have an initial adventure "module" concept in the works.

For now, enjoy the map. Please let me know your opinion on the coins vs. markers. The coins provide a bit of color on an otherwise brown map, but I can understand if they are too distracting. 

post-206-0-03913100-1506733581_thumb.jpg post-206-0-27858700-1506733652_thumb.jpg

I am so riding the wave of creativity on this project. Two days ago I lamented to my wife that I haven't felt a creative urge in months. I am so happy I stumbled upon that map yesterday because I feel like a new man. :D

Here is a draft version of the Cyclopedia. For the moment, it only contains information about the geological and geographical features of Ulum. There are a few rules references, but it is mostly about painting a picture of the setting itself. I am planning on moving on to the geo-political (read City-states, religion, etc.) aspect tonight and tomorrow. 

Thanks for checking this out.

UlumCyclopediaDraft.pdf