HERO SYSTEM SKILLS 6th edition/Skill Proficiency

jdounis

Hello and a happy new year,

I was just skimming HSS for 6th edition today, wanting to incorporate stuff from it in my new Lovecraftian Horror Campaign, and saw that "proficiency"( 2cp for a 10- roll) from 6e1 is not there, but there is "advanced familiarity"(2cp for 11-) is this an omission or a previous version rule? 

Bonus Question: How do you handle untrained skill rolls in your games?

thank you!

In general, attempts at an untrained skill are only possible if it is an Everyman Skill, and it is at 8-. Otherwise, the skill can not be attempted at all.

However, if it makes sense to the GM, a character might be allowed to attempt an untrained skill using a related Characteristic (or Skill) Roll instead, but with heavy DRM penalties. In that case, the GM may even elect to make the outcome less effective than normal, even with a successful roll (e.g., the best a character without Piloting skill might hope to achieve with a related CHA/Skill roll is a crash landing that saves everyone's lives but destroys the aircraft).

I was just skimming HSS for 6th edition today, wanting to incorporate stuff from it in my new Lovecraftian Horror Campaign, and saw that "proficiency"( 2cp for a 10- roll) from 6e1 is not there, but there is "advanced familiarity"(2cp for 11-) is this an omission or a previous version rule? 

thank you!

I recommend asking Steve Long about the differences between HSS and 6e1. 

I'm guess it's due to HSS being mostly a repackaged version of the 5e Ultimate Skill but I'm not sure.

HM

I tend to treat all non-exotic skills as everyman skills.  No, you can't try contortionist, but you can try engineer or stealth.

Raising the question, what constitutes "Exotic"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to buy a Skill Level with all Exotic Skills

thank you!

6e1 pg 56 final paragraph on Familiarity and Proficiency

With the GM’s permission, characters may also

buy Proficiency with a Characteristic-Based Skill.

A Proficiency functions just like Familiarity, but

provides a 10- roll for 2 Character Points.

UPDATE: This is what I get for reading forums late at night.  I misread the original post but the section still applies.  The original 2 pts for 11- is for non-characteristic based skill rolls (general skills).

I tend to treat all non-exotic skills as everyman skills.  No, you can't try contortionist, but you can try engineer or stealth.

Raising the question, what constitutes "Exotic"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to buy a Skill Level with all Exotic Skills

Yeah its pretty subjective, basically whatever seems to me is too odd for someone to attempt without at least some training

Funny thing is, I would be much more inclined t allow untrained Contortionist than untrained Engineer.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants a Skill Enhancer for Exotic Skills

Well my perspective is: which is harder?  Trying to build a bridge from some boards, or try to dislocate your shoulder so you can slip out of a strait jacket?

And my perspective is, which is harder? Trying to repair a malfunctioning steam locomotive, or trying to thread your legs through your arms to get your hands cuffed behind you to where they're cuffed in front of you?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary can see it both ways