Problems With Fantasy Hero Complete and Newbies

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#181 Eisenmann

Eisenmann

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:23 AM

Eisenmann, I really like your idea of using little beads or whatever, or Cantriped's tokens, to track different stats. This is visually intuitive. The only possible problem I can see is that players need to keep track of specific numbers of STUN, for example, to determine whether their characters are stunned (compared to their CON). Perhaps this may be one of those rules that could be eliminated for basic play, but it's pretty basic to the game. Do you use a card for the aquarium stones to show what the pool is, and what is used? It's possible to indicate "if x number of STUN is moved from your pool, you are stunned for one phase," or something like that. What do you do?

The stones are color coded to the highlighted fields on the character sheet - red for Body and yellow for Stun. Being an impromptu hack it didn't remedy as much as it could have. We still had to remember the stun threshold. Your idea for cards as a visual base is a good one. Then the numbers would be right in context.

I want to note that, in my game, characters have relatively low body and stun. Heck, the PCs are skilled normals and most of their world isn't that potent, making the use of stones as a running gauge of reserve pretty easy.

• Brian Stanfield likes this

#182 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 40,131 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

We used to track damage by inflicting wounds on the player to match those on his character. It really helps with the roleplaying.

Note: this post may contain factual inaccuracies.
  • Burrito Boy and Brian Stanfield like this
...and that's when the destruction began.

#183 Brian Stanfield

Brian Stanfield

Competent Normal

• 135 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

We used to track damage by inflicting wounds on the player to match those on his character. It really helps with the roleplaying.

Note: this post may contain factual inaccuracies.

I think that's part of Champions LARP . . . . :snicker:   This could be a game changer for Fantasy Hero, though!

#184 Christopher Taylor

Christopher Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 4,311 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:42 PM

I wonder how the magic systems affect new players.  Some of them are kind of complex with power frameworks, etc.  But most games with magic have somewhat complicated systems in them.

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Jolrhos Bestiary Monster Pack for Hero Designer

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more