Problems With Fantasy Hero Complete and Newbies

• Please log in to reply
471 replies to this topic

#461 Xotl

Xotl

Standard Hero

• 104 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

EDIT: file deleted, now that it's been uploaded to the main site.  Get it from there.

By the way, please don't let me be a wet blanket for what you've done! I don't want this to be the thing that suddenly makes everyone dog pile with critiques, or to make you doubt what you'e done. Don't try to change anything for me. Your vision is your own, and it's a dang good one! I hope everyone is inspired by this!

Missed this earlier.  Not a wet blanket at all: people shouldn't post things for criticism if they don't want criticism.  There were lots of good comments in this thread, yours included.  Thanks for taking the time to go over it.

• Hyper-Man likes this

#462 Amorkca

Amorkca

Often Incompetent Normal

• 529 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the link!!

#463 knasser2

knasser2

Competent Normal

• 112 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

https://www.dropbox....Primer.pdf?dl=0

I thought they were disabling their puslic link sharing service entirely, but basically it just meant you had to change all your links.  Still annoying as all hell, but at least the service is still usuable.

If you've downloaded it before, get it again, as I continually made little changes, typo and point fixes, etc (timestamp for the last update is 10:51).

Missed this earlier.  Not a wet blanket at all: people shouldn't post things for criticism if they don't want criticism.  There were lots of good comments in this thread, yours included.  Thanks for taking the time to go over it.

I just want to say that this is sterling work. Very clear, gorgeously laid out, pitch-perfect level of detail for what you're setting out to achieve. It's proving very useful to me already.

A GM has the most difficult job of all. It is to crush players' dreams, characters and hearts whilst making them believe you are unbiased and character deaths are their failure rather than your success.

#464 Xotl

Xotl

Standard Hero

• 104 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

I just want to say that this is sterling work. Very clear, gorgeously laid out, pitch-perfect level of detail for what you're setting out to achieve. It's proving very useful to me already.

Very glad to hear it.  I read your thread, linked to by Brian, and used some of your frustrations to make the text clearer (like "rolling" vs "result", normal damage vs. killing damage, and so on).

Please note I've updated it again, for what I hope is the last time (I missed a spot where I used the standard Hero 6th edition costs for OMCV/DMCV, vs the cheaper FHC costs, as well as a couple of other very minor things).  Link is the same above.

• knasser2 likes this

#465 Cantriped

Cantriped

Heroic Magicat

• 1,501 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

It would be really useful to the community if you posted the finished version of this document to the downloads section where everyone can easily find and download it.

• GM Joe likes this

#466 Scott Ruggels

Scott Ruggels

Skilled Normal

• 61 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

Seconded.  This is the document that makes a very good introduction to the system for new players.

#467 Chris Goodwin

Chris Goodwin

Social justice globehead

• 4,396 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

I wish I could make my How To Play HERO System document look like yours...   :weep:

Chris Goodwin
The Big Thread of Helpful HowtosThe Unofficial HERO System Forum | HERO System Low Heroic Protocols | Old School ChampionsHow to Play HERO System | Robot Warriors to HERO System Current Editions

There are two paths your character can take into the game: the path of the game guidelines document, or the path of the Character Approver 9000. Choose your path wisely.

#468 Lucius

Lucius

Too Many To List Now!

• 15,310 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

(I missed a spot where I used the standard Hero 6th edition costs for OMCV/DMCV, vs the cheaper FHC costs, as well as a couple of other very minor things). .

There's a cost difference?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary never told me that

#469 Xotl

Xotl

Standard Hero

• 104 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

There's a cost difference?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary never told me that

I had the same reaction.  Both Champions Complete and FHC use 3 pts per, whereas Hero System base uses 5 pts per (error on my part).

I wish I could make my How To Play HERO System document look like yours...   :weep:

Heh, thanks.  It's just using generic MS Word, so anyone should be able to do it.  Text boxes, page borders, Book Antiqua font, and just a splash of colour here and there.  Avoiding underlining.  Also actively using whitespace: a lot of guys tend to overcram stuff into a page, but that makes it look overly busy.  It helps when you have someone as amazing as Martin McKenna to draw art from, as well. :)  If you want any other specific pointers, I'd be happy to offer some.

I'll definitely upload the final pdf to the site.  I just wanted to keep it just in this thread for a while to make sure that I'd ironed out all the errors and formatting tweaks, first.

#470 Cantriped

Cantriped

Heroic Magicat

• 1,501 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

There isn't a cost difference.

OMCV and DMCV were 3-points each in â€‹Hero System 6th Edition (see 6E1 40 and 45), as well as in CC/FHC.

• Christopher R Taylor likes this

#471 Xotl

Xotl

Standard Hero

• 104 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, false memory on that one.

In any case, I've uploaded the final version to the Downloads section of the website.  Thanks all.

• Cantriped likes this

#472 John Desmarais

John Desmarais

Neptune City Comptroller

• 2,638 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:06 PM

Finally read Xotl's primer doc for the first time (yes, I'm a bit behind - haven't been real active in the forums here recently).

Nice stuff! Makes me tempted to write up something similar for use in Heroic Level "Normals" type of games, such as Pulp Hero, as those kinds of games tend to be where i have most of my Hero-newbies at the table. With the general lack of powers and magic for those types of games, it would be an even simpler document I think.
  • Chris Goodwin, TheDarkness and Brian Stanfield like this
John Desmarais
The Stuff Heroes Are Made Of - www.herostuff.net
=====================================
Man is the only animal that blushes - or needs to.
-- Mark Twain