• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,514 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:25 AM

For those having issues with HD appearing too small under high resolution screens (when running Windows), an update has been posted which enables command-line flags to set the default font size throughout the application.  To use, you need to launch HD from the command line (or create a batch script) with the following:

javaw -jar HD6.jar [font size]

for example, the following would set the default font size throughout the application to 18pt:

javaw -jar HD6.jar 18

Windows does not appear to pass font scaling along to Java, hence the issue under high resolution screens.  Moreover, there are known issues within Java in attempting to change the font size once the UI has been rendered.  This is the reason that the command line flags are needed rather than a new application preferences setting.

• Tasha, MagePro and bluesguy like this

I am but mad north by northwest.  When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.

#2 kukuli

kukuli

Skilled Normal

• 90 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

Thank you! I miracast to my TV when working with my players and it was impossible to read.  It took a trip to the web to remember how to use the command line, but I did it.

#3 Whatchamazog

Whatchamazog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

For those having issues with HD appearing too small under high resolution screens (when running Windows), an update has been posted which enables command-line flags to set the default font size throughout the application.  To use, you need to launch HD from the command line (or create a batch script) with the following:

javaw -jar HD6.jar [font size]
for example, the following would set the default font size throughout the application to 18pt:
javaw -jar HD6.jar 18
Windows does not appear to pass font scaling along to Java, hence the issue under high resolution screens.  Moreover, there are known issues within Java in attempting to change the font size once the UI has been rendered.  This is the reason that the command line flags are needed rather than a new application preferences setting.

Which version of Java do you need?

#4 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,514 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

JRE 6 or better....which at this point means any reasonably recent full Java installation.
  • MagePro and Whatchamazog like this

I am but mad north by northwest.  When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.

#5 pruttm

pruttm

Pete Ruttman

• 400 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

Thanks much Dan.

Please visit my RPG company website at http://www.blessedmachine.com

We are regularly updating the News section with our latest progress.

#6 MagePro

MagePro

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

Simon,

You are amazing!!  I think we had PM'ed about this some time ago.  I check back to look to see if someone had done a 5th ed version of Plasmoid in HD and I find this.  It's almost 11 at night and I am so happy and now I can't sleep. I can finally use HD on my biz wiz laptop with the insane rez.  

:hail: I come but to serve.

#7 rjcurrie

rjcurrie

35 Years of HERO and Counting

• 3,579 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

Is there a minimum screen size that this feature works with?

I am running the most recent version of HD on a 3440 x 1440 screen under Windows 10 with Java 8 installed and I cannot get it to work.

Rod "The Mad Canuck" Currie
Author of the Hero Designer user manual.
http://www.supersquadamerica.com -- My convention game web site

http://www.rodc.ca -- My freelancing web site

#8 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,514 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

Works on all screens - no checks for resolution or screen size are performed

#9 rjcurrie

rjcurrie

35 Years of HERO and Counting

• 3,579 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

I'm not sure why, but it appears that an old trace.log file (from 2012) in my Hero Designer folder was keeping this feature from working. Once I deleted that file, the feature worked as expected.

Yay!

Rod "The Mad Canuck" Currie
Author of the Hero Designer user manual.
http://www.supersquadamerica.com -- My convention game web site

http://www.rodc.ca -- My freelancing web site

#10 sturmrider

sturmrider

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:01 PM

I get an error saying it cannot access the jar file. Using Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13 9365

#11 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,514 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

Make sure you run from a directory that contains the HD6.jar file and which you have full read/write access to.

#12 sturmrider

sturmrider

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:01 PM

Thank you for your response, I will check this again, but I believe it is in a directory that has full access for me. 

#13 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,514 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:05 PM

Let me be clear: "cannot access the jar file" means you are running the command from a directory that does not have the jar file...or as an account that cannot see/access the jar file.  It's pretty simple...and has nothing whatsoever to do with HD.