The Great Superhero Gallery Build of 2017

winterhawk

Inspired by Hermit's The People of Campaign City:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/92167-the-people-of-campaign-city/

and Chris Goodwin's request for characters built with the Superhero Galley from Champions 6th:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/94448-characters-wanted-superhero-gallery-champions-powers/

and because I need to get the creative juices flowing, I've decided to build fully fleshed out characters using only the Superhero Gallery, one for every power category.  I will make all attempts to link them back to the Champions Universe and not vary too far from the layout given by the gallery.

First up, and Aquatic Brick with a Water Blast MP which was built through an OAF to fit his background and to allow for enough points to purchase the Atlantean package from Hidden Lands.  This is Moray, a Captain in the Atlantean army.

Aquatic Brick.hdc

nice work. 

I'm about halfway though putting that all onto HD...The basic stats and powers (usually a movement power if anything) are a template. The increased stats are package deals and the skills and powers are prefabs. I saved the Templates to load the corresponding prefabs right away so it's kind of nifty. 

My full intent was to go in alphabetical order like the Gallery, but neither the Earth/Stone nor Electricity builds were speaking to me.  I've jumped ahead to the Fire template.  This is the Match, an arsonist par excellence built using the Pyrokinetic package along with the firefighter package from Villany Amok.  He could be the perfect villain behind the "Burn Baby Burn!" scenario in that same supplement.

Fire 6.hdc

This 'superhero gallery' business intrigues me.  That and I love designing characters and powers (but not statting them out.  shush)

Pages 243-287 of Champions 6th edition, essentially a bunch of pre-made stat/power/skill packages that allow you to cobble together a character quickly for pretty much every superhero archetype.

That sounds dangerous, Amorkca ;)

Noted, hawk.  Tempting, though I'm so bad with Hero builds to begin with I just custom design everything... and overdesign the written powers far beyond what the Hero system can actually handle!  :D  I will enjoy reviewing your writeups, I'll have to power up HeroDesigner again to read 'em!

To pique your interest more... here is the write-up in the store!

This PDF expands the Superhero Gallery from pages 243-87 of Champions to add ten new character types you can quickly and easily create:

—the Animal-Man, a character whose powers derive from, or are themed around, a particular type of animal;

—the Caped Detective, who combines his investigative skills with various fighting abilities and gadgets to make himself a matchless enemy of the underworld;

—the Cultural Mystic, whose magical powers derive from a specific mystical tradition or culture (such as Egyptian, Shamanism, or Voodoo on this sheet, though you can easily adapt it to others if you’d like);

—the Elemental Powered Armor wearer, whose powered armor’s weapons and defenses focus on a specific “elemental” form of attack (such as Fire, Electricity, or Ice);

—the Force character, who manipulates sheer force to attack, move objects, and achieve other effects;

—the Light character, who controls light in various forms (from blinding flares to deadly lasers);

—the Power Weapon wielder, who possesses a weapon of great cosmic, mystic, or technological might;

—the Robo-Hero, whose artificial body grants him superhuman powers;

—the Shadowmaster, who controls darkness and shadow; and

—the Themed Gadgeteer, whose arsenal of gadgets are all designed or formed along some theme (such as a particular animal, holiday, or category of objects [such as “toys”]).

To pique your interest more... here is the write-up in the store!

This PDF expands the Superhero Gallery from pages 243-87 of Champions to add ten new character types you can quickly and easily create:

—the Animal-Man, a character whose powers derive from, or are themed around, a particular type of animal;

—the Caped Detective, who combines his investigative skills with various fighting abilities and gadgets to make himself a matchless enemy of the underworld;

—the Cultural Mystic, whose magical powers derive from a specific mystical tradition or culture (such as Egyptian, Shamanism, or Voodoo on this sheet, though you can easily adapt it to others if you’d like);

—the Elemental Powered Armor wearer, whose powered armor’s weapons and defenses focus on a specific “elemental” form of attack (such as Fire, Electricity, or Ice);

—the Force character, who manipulates sheer force to attack, move objects, and achieve other effects;

—the Light character, who controls light in various forms (from blinding flares to deadly lasers);

—the Power Weapon wielder, who possesses a weapon of great cosmic, mystic, or technological might;

—the Robo-Hero, whose artificial body grants him superhuman powers;

—the Shadowmaster, who controls darkness and shadow; and

—the Themed Gadgeteer, whose arsenal of gadgets are all designed or formed along some theme (such as a particular animal, holiday, or category of objects [such as “toys”]).

Does this PDF include a reprint of those pages, or is it just new material?

Okay, been busy.  First up, jumping back to Earth/Stone, is Sgt. Bill Dover of the MCPD, affectionately known as Cop Rock, who has served the community since just before the Battle of Detroit.  Since the movement options didn't really jive with the Body of Stone concept, I just settled on superleap.  The police package is from Dark Champions.

Earth Stone 6.hdc

This is actually the first character I built using the Gallery some time ago, and one of my favorite NPCS.  All credit due to Hermit, who was a terrific player and GM back in the Hero Central days, for giving her both her names.  This is Silken Thorn, mistress of the Malvan martial art of Haruji.  The Malvan Package and martial arts can be found in Champions Beyond.

Martial 6.hdc

The Metamorph archetype offered a lot of choices, and I realized I had never tried my hand at a Shrinking character.  This is Mr. Iota, a supervillain created in the same explosion that created Blackstar from the Ultimates.  After a lousy week at work, I based his personality on a couple of co-workers I'm not too fond of...

Metamorph 6.hdc

• 2 weeks later...

What started out with me being lazy led to an interesting character building exercise.  For the Mystic Master, I was just going to use the VPP option so I didn't have to type up a lot of slots in an MP.  Following the letter of the build, almost all of the 20 pts. allotted for skills was chewed up by the Power skill required for the VPP.  I decided limiting the VPP to a type of magic would get me enough points to add a few more skills to the character.  I wanted to avoid the typical mystical background (DEMON, Circle of the Scarlet Moon, etc.) and remembered that VIPER had a small but fanatical sect that worshipped the Serpent God and practiced serpent magic.  This is Naja Naja, built using the Snake Cultist and technically the Serpent Mage packages from the VIPER sourcebook.  Most of his Limitations are the Brainwashed Masses from the Agent Types & Motivations chapter of the same supplement.

Mystic 6.hdc

I was stuck for an idea for the Powered Armor template, as my longest played character was a Powered Armor hero, and I thought I had done it all with this archetype.  I found inspiration from my first exposure to Japanese pop culture growing up in the 1970s.  This is Mechandizer 17, an agent of Bureau 17 detailed in the Monster Island sourcebook.  Character sheets are attached for his normal sized Jaeger mode, and his gigantic, kaiju-fighting Kaiser mode.  His Secret ID is a mash up of Ishiro Honda and Go Nagai, the creator of Godzilla and the Godfather of Super Robot anime/manga respectively.  The best part of the build was naming the attacks...

Supah!

Grand!

Bustaaahhhh!

Power Armor 6.hdc

Power Armor 6 Buster.hdc