Multiple side effects.

Good day.

Basically the idea is that, the character drinks alcohol and gets extremely strong, but the down side is he loses Int for the duration of it, and then when he wakes up, he keeps the int loss, but also loses dex, presence, takes stun, and is weak to light and sound (basically a hangover). Would each of these be their own side effect, or would they all just be one side effect, like a package deal?

I am also trying to decide on how drinking water reducing the side effect would affect the cost

As a side not, what would the cost of not remembering anything over a given time fame, (i.e., black out drunk) be?

To jump in first - the disadvantage value of the side effect is really dependent on how it affects the character in game, and that is dependent both on the game numbers* and the way your GM runs things**.

So, we can't really answer without a bit more detail, but in general terms:

1) I would probably take it as a single "side effects" disadvantage that always happens, with severity depending on the above factors.

2) The water issue - same as above. How much does it change the numbers? Will your GM always let you have water available? In general having a "cure" reduces the severity of the side effect.

In the end, you and your GM think how much it affects the character, and try to compare it to other disadvantages. How often does having a focus cause problems in your game? Try and balance it so you get the fun game effect without making the character unfun to play, or to play with...

*dropping to 4 INT and gaining Enraged 14-/8-, followed by half STUN/PRE/DEX for 24 hrs is at the severe end, dropping 5 pts INT, then 5 pts STUN/PRE/DEX for two hours less severe.

** if the benefit usually covers a whole fight, and the GM usually gives you time to recover from your "hangover", then it's not that much of a disadvantage. If on the other hand, you find that in about half the sessions your character is trying to do things while incapacitated then it's a real problem.

It's a subjective call.

Basically, if it all adds up to more than one Extreme Side Effect, I'd say it's legitimate to Side Effect more than once.

Also if there are multiple "triggers" i.e. one could have a Minor Side Effect that goes off all the time, and another Minor Side Effect only if a given roll is failed.

Lucius Alexander

Side Effect: Palindromedary Taglines