Halving healing per RAW?

Surrealone

I think its just an arithmetic mistake in Steve's answer, Simplified Healing specifically heals half the amount shown on dice in STUN and BODY ala normal damage with the new errata, not Character Points in 6E.

Steve skipped a step in his explanation and it makes it unclear. Dsatow has a more complete explanation.

He is still referring to Character Points in his example as the max is 24 CP of STUN and 8 CP of BODY. Before halving that would be 48 STUN and 8 BODY which halves to 24 STUN and 4 BODY.   

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve skipped a step in his explanation and it makes it unclear. Dsatow has a more complete explanation.

He is still referring to Character Points in his example as the max is 24 CP of STUN and 8 CP of BODY. Before halving that would be 48 STUN and 8 BODY which halves to 24 STUN and 4 BODY.   

Steve's answer is not unclear, he clearly refers to Characteristics Value and not CP,  as in the 6E1 book: 

"In the case of Simplified Healing, the maximum that a character can roll on the dice is 6 STUN per die and 2 BODY per die. Given that both Characteristics are subject to the “halving” rule for “defensive Characteristics,” that amount gets cut in half after the roll, of course." 

Actually, I think the fatal flaw wasn't 'Defense Power' but was (as I emphasized in red, above ... and here, again): ''any Defense Power and the like'.  It was the 'and the like' that I feel is the unclear issue in 5e ... specifically because PD/ED are treated one way (the same as Defense Powers) while PRE and EGO are not.  So which way should BODY and STUN be treated?  That's left entirely up to the GM because of the flimsy 'and the like' language that was used for 5e.

And yet you are the only person I have ever seen who thinks BOD and STUN effects would be halved in 5e.

Regardless, Chris cleared up the rationale for the halving rule applying to certain definitively named Characteristics in 6e for me with it being a 'fix' to keep healing from becoming 2x as effective due to the cost reductions of those characteristics.  That said, I still scratch my head at the decision, because 4e Aid pricing wasn't absurd and, in fact, encouraged Aid/healing use.  5e and later Aid/Healing pricing absolutely discouraged it (compared to 4e) for some reason... despite the fact that I don't recall seeing people flocking to play healers because they were overpowered or broken in some way.  That always baffled me a bit...

Try 1d6 STUN Aid, Self Only, 0 END, Persistent, Always On (-0). It seems quite innocuous until you see the impact it has in play.

Well now I'm really confused.  The relevant portion of Steve's response at the above link reads (blue, red, and green emphasis added by me):

Ok, so in blue we see the halving rule still applies, but in red we see that STUN was not halved ... while in green we see that BODY was halved.

This doesn't make sense to me.  Can someone explain WTF I am missing?

The STUN is halved because STUN costs 1/2 point in 6e. If it were not halved, 48 STUN (24 CP) could be healed.

Steve's answer is not unclear, he clearly refers to Characteristics Value and not CP,  as in the 6E1 book: 

"In the case of Simplified Healing, the maximum that a character can roll on the dice is 6 STUN per die and 2 BODY per die. Given that both Characteristics are subject to the “halving” rule for “defensive Characteristics,” that amount gets cut in half after the roll, of course." 

As Hugh states above, the math works for Character Points not for Characteristic Value.

Simplified Healing (4e and 5e) and Healing (3e) always healed amounts of STUN and BODY, not Character Points worth of STUN and BODY.  The 6e core books state that Simplified Healing heals amounts (or what we used to call "pips" back in the day) of STUN and BODY, not Character Points.  So to be consistent, 4d6 of Simplified Healing either heals a max of 24 STUN and 8 BODY (not halved) or 12 STUN and 4 BODY (halved).  

And it's gone out of the realm of "simplified", IMO.  When I am GM, every 1d6 worth of Simplified Healing will heal a max of 6 STUN and 2 BODY, and will cost 10 points per d6.  There will be no halving of it, because it is Simplified.  It is not Character Points, it is pips.  It is essentially the anti-Blast.